Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Choke cable removal / replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

this is on my April built '55. read several threads here regarding this gargantuan task and if i can't pull out the old choke cable, i'm just running the new one inside the cabin along passenger side of the tunnel under the carpet of course.

my question is where does the new choke cable come out of the cabin in the rear, what passage/existing hole do i use, and how does it get to the carburetor? thank you!
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

This seems to be a popular fix, but I am not an expert. My fix involved replacing the existing tube with another within the tunnel.

My guess is you should get the tube back into the tunnel so it can come out right next to the accelerator and choke cables. This way it will be more or less the proper length.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

Or get a carburetor with an electric choke. Run the wire to feed power to it from the power side of the coil.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

thank you, yes, length could be a limiting factor in my approach... will try my best to pull out the old cable, or get a longer choke wire for the inside installation.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

To run the cable inside, you run along the passenger side, and exit with the positive cable to the starter. If you try to run along the drivers side, things get tangled next to the accelerator pedal.
To remove the old one, soak it for a while, and pull back and forth from both ends.
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Choke cable removal / replacement Reply with quote

esde wrote:
To run the cable inside, you run along the passenger side, and exit with the positive cable to the starter. If you try to run along the drivers side, things get tangled next to the accelerator pedal.
To remove the old one, soak it for a while, and pull back and forth from both ends.

great, thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: