Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:37 am    Post subject: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Had to get the Summer stuff packed up and mothballed now really charged up to assemble all these parts that took me to get under the roof here.

I Have a new case from Scat from last Spring. Its stroker clearanced and cut for 92's. Using thick wall 92's x 78.8 Scat Crank, CB forged rods, Tim's Stage 1 heads, EMPI 44's, CB Magnaspark ignition set. Is the hardware kit specifically the relief valves good stuff or advise to use something else.

Are you guys installing the case savers and jug studs on the halves with loctite and torquing them now or after the internals are buttoned up, checked with plastigauge and torqued? I have the 10mm. chrome moly studs jug studs I believe.

I'm sure this thread will grow with a couple more questions.
One will be how to degree my cam (and why) ?

Thanks in advance, here we go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Don't glue, seal or locktite anything until you have built it out to long block and set rocker geometry. Once you know it's all good, nothing binds up or hits. Pull it a part for final clean. Then seal as you go back together
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Don't glue, seal or locktite anything until you have built it out to long block and set rocker geometry. Once you know it's all good, nothing binds up or hits. Pull it a part for final clean. Then seal as you go back together

THIS!!!

DO NOT use any sealer on anything till after you have all of the rocker geometry done, and the tin fit. Do not get in a hurry and think it will go together in a weekend. I have done lots of engines, and I still need to do about 4-5 mock ups torquing the case, measuring, and pulling it back apart each time. And that is IF everything goes good. Which it usually doesn't.

On average, I will spend a month of evenings getting everything dialed in and fit. Then once its all finally measured and mocked up, I will tear it all back down, and clean everything. Then one more week of evenings to final clean and assemble.

Your parts list looks like it could be an awesome little combo. What cam?? Please don't say a w110, or a Scat c35. Laughing Whats it going in?

Plastigauge has no place in a VW engine. Micrometers and bore gauges are cheap enough now, just buy them. You will need them for more than just bearing clearance throughout the build.

Ask questions, and take your time. Don't ever say "oh it will wear in..." If something doesn't feel right, fix it. Do it all right, and it will last a long time, and make good power.

Brian

Brian
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Teeroy wrote:

THIS!!!

DO NOT use any sealer on anything till after you have all of the rocker geometry done, and the tin fit. Do not get in a hurry and think it will go together in a weekend. I have done lots of engines, and I still need to do about 4-5 mock ups torquing the case, measuring, and pulling it back apart each time. And that is IF everything goes good. Which it usually doesn't.

On average, I will spend a month of evenings getting everything dialed in and fit. Then once its all finally measured and mocked up, I will tear it all back down, and clean everything. Then one more week of evenings to final clean and assemble.

Your parts list looks like it could be an awesome little combo. What cam?? Please don't say a w110, or a Scat c35. Laughing Whats it going in?

Plastigauge has no place in a VW engine. Micrometers and bore gauges are cheap enough now, just buy them. You will need them for more than just bearing clearance throughout the build.

Ask questions, and take your time. Don't ever say "oh it will wear in..." If something doesn't feel right, fix it. Do it all right, and it will last a long time, and make good power.

Brian

Brian
My Cam is an EP12 Web 86a, Scat 1:4 Pro-comp rockers, Dan Ruddick's Beehive springs, CB lightweight lifter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Nice combo for a great driver.

My super squish engine was the same size…just different heads/cam.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
My super squish engine was the same size…just different heads/cam.

were the squishies worth it? Im thinking the new CB chamber with high compression build would be just as efficient with less build setup.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New 2095 Build with Scat Case Questions Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Teeroy wrote:

Brian

Web 86a cam, CB lightweight lifters, Scat 1:4 rockers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: