Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabremaster5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

I have a custom home made gas tank that has a maximum depth of say 8 inches. Any product recommendations to install a fuel sending unit and fuel gauge setup?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

I think the standard tank is only about 8" in depth in later models (but someone else can confirm). What's WAS your year model.

Given I know the system works, I'd use a standard VW sender and gauge. I'm not sure if you are doing something internally as custom etc.

The fine adjustment of the gauge accuracy can be made with adjustments to the vibrator or sender arm.

Here's a discussion on the +68 forum about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Otherwise use the "Enhanced Google Search" at top right menu bar and put in words like, fuel gauge, gas tank gauge, gas tank ohms and you will get answers from others who have done this already.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

sabremaster5 wrote:
I have a custom home made gas tank that has a maximum depth of say 8 inches. Any product recommendations to install a fuel sending unit and fuel gauge setup?

My first question would be, what gas gauge do you plan to use? This will affect your options. The next question would be, what provisions does your tank have for a sender? Again, this affects options.

I have a standard SW 5 bolt pattern in a 6.5 inch deep tank and an aftermarket 2 inch gas gauge designed for the SW 30-240 ohm expected range. I went with a KUS-USA marine reed switch fuel gauge sender.

I even found some fuel gauge senders that go under the tank and work on the gravity fuel pressure above them!
sabremaster5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I think I will start my search looking for a standard gas sending/gauge for a 1961 Type 1 Beetle. I will have to drill hole for sending unit.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

sabremaster5 wrote:
Thanks guys. I think I will start my search looking for a standard gas sending/gauge for a 1961 Type 1 Beetle. I will have to drill hole for sending unit.

My 61 Bug has no gas gage. The gage did not appear until 62 for American market Bugs, although accessory gages have been sold for gas gageless Bugs.

Some early stock gages were non electric, simply a cable that pushed or pulled the gage indicating needle via the float motion. Eventually VW used electric gages.

Smarter folks than I can tell you what years had what, but the 61 Bug did not come standard with a gage.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

sabremaster5 wrote:

If you have a nice original '61 only gas tank with the flat spot for the sender, but no hole for it, that is somewhat valuable. I know at least 2 people that have hunted one down and paid a premium for a good one. A '62-'67 tank will fit in its place and has welded in nut inserts to secure the sender in the top of the tank.

The gas gauge used on 1962 through 1967 Beetles was a mechanical unit. There was a cable from the tank sender to a square gauge to the right of the speedometer. You would need to replace the grill panel to the right of the speedometer, and color matching old paint is no fun. It would likely be best to find all these parts as good used parts as much of the aftermarket replacement parts are less than OEM quality.

If you old Bug has been converted to 12 volt you could also use a 1968 or newer Bug speedometer with built in gas gauge and then use the electric sender for the same in your tank.

You can also get a nice reserve handle extension to make it a lot easier to switch to the reserve fuel, provided you have the original type reserve handle fuel tap in the bottom of your tank.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

As the other guy said, them 61 and back tanks are valuable. my original 61 tank rusted out so I replaced it with a later tank some 35 years ago. Wish I had kept the original tank and repaired it. These tanks have no sender hole and a large diameter filler neck.

The money you can get for it may not only pay for a new tank with sender hole, but maybe even cover the price of your gage and sender tool.

A lot of old bugs had their tanks replaced, hence originals are sought after.
But if modified original is your thing, then go for it and add a sender to it.

One of these days Ill find a original tank. At least I kept my original over sized gas cap.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank Needs Fuel Gauge Reply with quote

The OP clearly says he has a custom home made tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: