Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 603, 604, 605 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Received a box of new carpet today

Some “used carpet” could be a decent upgrade to a lot of other vans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Getting back to adding a “pre-fuse” fuse block with 4 MIDI fuses.
1) supply the VW fuseblock
2) direct headlights 400w relay supply
3) LiFePO4 house battery supply
4) accessory power ports, cig lighter, SAE plug, shore charger etc

Was just getting started on this project again and Turkey soup arrived.
Wish me luck getting back tuit.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I washed it!!!

Daily use all Summer and Fall without a bath…… it needed it and my vehicle washing window is quickly snapping to a close!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
djkeev wrote:
...[not] knowing but what issue are you having that has frustrated you so much?

Dave

Its just been these coils lately. I carry spares in my buses, usually. I carry spare injectors. I carry a fuel pump, and lots of repair parts and equipment.

Just how the coil bracket hangs on the left side, behind the compressor and mating the coil to the bracket and getting that lined up with the first bolt hole is not a heavy job, but it thoroughly exhausts me, and I need to do 'loss mitigation' since I drop the bolts at least 8 times, and have dropped coils too. Just three coils, but only two on the '87 (in just 3 months) and now the first one on the '86 Westy.

It doesn't take very many 2 or three hour jobs to add up to the costs of a microsquirt conversion. Thus, frustrated.

It is odd to go through so many coils, even in a long time span.

Spark plugs are often a cause of coil failure.
Tell us about your spark plugs, which ones are you using, hiw old are they and what gap are they?
Also your wires? They also factor in to any reduced coil health.

There are other factors too such as excessive heat, moisture and oil saturation.

Coils also aren't generic, they have difference built in resistance values. In the "good ole' days" they had external ceramic resistors which would sometimes crack or burn out.
But alas, we don't run them.
Do make sure you have the correct coil.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Received a box of new carpet today

Some “used carpet” could be a decent upgrade to a lot of other vans.

Yep!
Plan to put the old carpet up for sale when finished. Will probably include the new carpet underlayment that came with the kit as my original underlayment is still in good condition.
The old carpets pretty good, a little tattered where the kitties sharpened their claws on the humps but still looks decent.
(will need to cover the new carpet in those areas when camping with the kitties in the future Confused )

Your project's looking good!
I need to tackle the new LiFePO4 aux battery setup and wiring on mine this winter. Looks like an interior strip is gonna be the best bet as the new carpet has to go behind the sink cabinet anyway and having everything out will make running new wire easier.

Still flummoxed by a slight Syncro driveline vibration despite new U-joints and balanced driveline. Mad

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Spark plugs are often a cause of coil failure.
Tell us about your spark plugs, which ones are you using, hiw old are they and what gap are they?
Also your wires? They also factor in to any reduced coil health.

Dave

I've been using NKG 3 leg units: NGK (1263) BP6ET Spark Plugs since my head reseal at 272K mi., I've replaced them two times since, last time was at 328K mi. I use the gap that they come set from factory. Not sure how to re-gap three leg plugs. Please note; at the time I replaced the plugs I took a good look at my rotor, apparently it had been 'blown', as in the resistor bit? had been cooked in the path from the coil tap to the end of the rotor... I don't understand much about that, but it was still "running" with a blown rotor. Mind boggling. I did replace all ignition wires on one of the spark plug replacements, just not sure of which. But, I'm sitting at 339Kmi. today, so that makes it no more than 67K mi. but more likely less than 40.

djkeev wrote:

There are other factors too such as excessive heat, moisture and oil saturation.

Coils also aren't generic, they have difference built in resistance values. In the "good ole' days" they had external ceramic resistors which would sometimes crack or burn out.
But alas, we don't run them.
Do make sure you have the correct coil.

Dave

I will look at the rotor again now that you mention resistor cracking or burning out, as that seems to have happened on the '87 just 11 K mi ago.

I have been running the coil specifically for the '86-'91 Vanagon 2.1 WBX, from what I had assumed was a reliable source. I have now replaced it again with one that the local USA-chain FLAPS guarantees for life. I bought two, one will remain in the box, which is admittedly a silly thing... I guess I will have to 'test' it when I get the cover off in the next few nights. I will be taking the burned out unit to the FLAPS to see if they think it was the proper unit to have sold me some 20 months ago, when I spotted a sale on Vanagon Digifant parts and figured it would be a good thing to carry. That one lasted just 3 months and a few days. Put it in place on Aug 11th this year.

On to the topic of heat; Yes, that has been on my mind. I have a couple inkbird temp gauge kits that I can utilize to get some data points. The coil temp would be interesting to see. I've already run a handful of electrical cables to the dash from the engine compartment, so hooking one up would be a 20 minute job, I'd guess.

I don't know enough to answer your thoughts on Oil Saturation or Moisture. I can tell you that the coils themselves have been free of detritus, unlike much of the other engine compartment, since I live on a limestone gravel road, it is often covered in gravel dust --- I do go very slowly on the gravel, but it still accumulates and needs to be "dusted" a few times a year. Compressed air gets the majority of that off, when I have the engine cover off.
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally fixed my low compression issue. I replaced the piston and cylinders with a kit from AA Performance to make it a 2.2 liter Water boxer.
Runs so smoothly now. But alas I have to bleed the coolant again.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

I run those same plugs without issue.
I was just throwing out ideas on what might be causing early Ignition Coil death.
With the quality of new parts and also known NGK imitations on the market I would do a good tune up with the best parts I could find today.

I get a lot of tune up stuff from FCP Euro.
Lifetime guarantee on everything.
So far everything I've gotten has been decent quality.

There is a reason that you are eating coils....... it just needs to be found.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got my yakima carrier on the roof. Took down the SKB box and replaced it. Might need to switch to some lower profile towers and crossbars from another brand in the future to make it sit a little lower. We will see.

Also picked it up from Deutschwurx in Elkridge, MD to chase down a leak on my tdi. Turned out being the oil filter housing.

Now just waiting on transporter werks for a set of custom bumpers.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Received a box of new carpet today from Newton Commercial in the UK. Came early, they said to expect in January.
Nice stuff, looks to be well made. Good match, just a bit darker, slightly different texture. Same thickness, moulded, and with matching vinyl pressings.
I'll start an install thread when the time comes.

Here's a quick pic to show color.

I'm looking forward to seeing finished picks an hearing install observations if you post them.

The Newton carpet seems to be the best carpet set available. I believe it has two fewer pieces compared to others. From OzzieJo's install:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9460396#9460396

One of many carpet threads:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9547369

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After a year or so of procrastination I finally got the new gas tank installed. Talk about a pain in the butt...But it also meant I could finally get her off the jack stands and onto her wheels (16" black steel from GoWesty)
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed the oil and filter. Looked for slow coolant leak since my overflow tank was getting drained. Loose Allen bolt at water pump pipe , tightened it and hopefully all will be well.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started the big strip for this winter's project.
New carpet, LiFePO4 aux battery, new chargers, wires, etc.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Takes some serious hunting to put all this stuff together these days. SUPER stoked (thanks to some really nice folks) to finally have a full matching blue Weekender bed setup for our newest blue tin-top, including all the hardware. Looking forward to using it come spring!

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Since its almost above freezing, I tried to knock out a few projects that have been stacking up. I got the new steering column covers from GW installed (after a bit of trimming to fit the contour of the bottom of the dash):

Installed a new oil pan heater and, along with the inline coolant heater already in place, hooked it up to a new 110v plug fitted to the sheetmetal below the hatch. A previous owner had a round industrial junction box screwed there when I bought the van so I had to slightly enlarge the existing hole. to prevent the hole saw from walking all over the place and chewing up the paint (which it still did Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ), I fastened a piece of plywood using the existing holes in the metal so the drill bit in the center of the hole saw would have something to guide it. I brushed a little primer over any bare metal to prevent rust and will go back and touch it up in the spring. Probably find some black screws, too.

I also changed the oil something better suited for Anchorage winter: Rotella 15w-40. After changing it, I cranked and ran the engine for about ten minutes to let everything get a little heat in it and circulate the fluids. Here's a little video I took of cold starting it after sitting for over a month in sub freezing temps:

Link

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got new triple peak/snowfake tires mounted on some Merc rims I've had waiting for their 'turn' in the mix. Made sure all 5 got drilled out to fit on Vansgon wheel mounting hardware. Then put 4 on the '87, and will swap out the spare tomorrow, I hope. Yesterday, when collecting the rims from storage, I took a bit of a steep bank down to the pavement, and banged the front of the clam pretty hard. I bent the bolt or threaded bolt hole a bit Sad I'll have to see it in daylight to get a better idea of what I need to do to remedy that. Pix when I get some daylight to work with.

So, these tires start their job at 339,276 miles on the odo.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ho Ho Ho.

Cool
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

oasis wrote:

Ho Ho Ho.

Cool
Our Dalmatian, Rocket, approves of your display- two paws up! Laughing Laughing
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Got new triple peak/snowfake tires mounted on some Merc rims I've had waiting for their 'turn' in the mix. Made sure all 5 got drilled out to fit on Vansgon wheel mounting hardware. Then put 4 on the '87, and will swap out the spare tomorrow, I hope. Yesterday, when collecting the rims from storage, I took a bit of a steep bank down to the pavement, and banged the front of the clam pretty hard. I bent the bolt or threaded bolt hole a bit Sad I'll have to see it in daylight to get a better idea of what I need to do to remedy that. Pix when I get some daylight to work with.

So, these tires start their job at 339,276 miles on the odo.
Cool on the rims... Sorry to hear about the small impact at your tire carrier.... Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Cool on the rims... Sorry to hear about the small impact at your tire carrier.... Shocked

Ya, thanks again for the assist on those rims!!

I've always backed up the little slope in that same spot, and use it regularly for bleeding the air out of the coolant system, as it provides a great angle with the nose down. I hadn't noticed before that the pavement is that close to the nose. Perhaps I had not backed up on it so far as to put the tires at the hill's edge. Or, I guess I could have been going a bit to fast, just wanting to get into the garage and get myself warmed up, it was a tad on the cold side, and the slider on ZoomBus fought me, so I had to struggle getting the rims out. Anyway, the descent was a wake-up. Good amount of "bang", and I knew I was about to see SOMETHING messed up. It is possible that the bolt is just bent, I have dropped the clam 2" to accommodate my 3 season tires at 215/60/r16. I doubt it though, I got the bolt from Fastenal, and it is a high grade, like 9+ Anyway, it makes clear how the Vanagon in Syncro model is not the best at angle of attack for off road stuff. Admittedly, I am stock height (less Westy load/lean).

I edited my post above to include this morning's picture. Wheels look just fine to me.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Our Dalmatian, Rocket, approves of your display- two paws up! Laughing Laughing

Tucker is pleased with Rocket's approval. Thumbs Up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 603, 604, 605 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 604 of 630

Jump to: