Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivers side wing window frame
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

Help! Anyone got a drivers side wing window frame? After successfully replacing the passenger side window gaskets, started on driver side. Bottom of frame is rusted beyond repair. Quick check of classified doesn’t look promising. I’m sure one of you has one PM me If you want to sell. I do see parts place has them on line. Any experience? Thanks
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

What year? Post pictures, you will get 10 x the response. We're all come book readers here.

Duncan
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

youll have some luck posting a WTB ad in the classifieds.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

Try " Brickwerks" UK they new OE frames L-R in stock.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

When you say the bottom of the frame is rusted beyond repair, do you mean the part where the hinge pivot is or the "tail" which sticks down into the door?

Duncan
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

Yeah the section between the piviot and vertical is completely gone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the lead on UK parts. See they makd them out of aluminum too. Camper van culture has them listed on their site but are out of stock!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

Since you have nothing to lose, pull the rubber free, hacksaw the bottom in half and look at the section. Take a pic. Is this something which could easily be bent up out of the appropriate thickness of steel?

Don't know where Naptown is, but don't you have a pick and pay somewhere near? Try John's Car Corner in Westminster, VT. Not a fan of his, but he has a bunch of T3s lying around that are never going to see the road again. And there are other guys like him spread out all over the 48.

And while you have it out, fix the pivot tension disaster. See: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=719262&highlight=

Duncan
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

I actually have a non-stock one I can give you if interested. It is from the parts place
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-vanagon-driver-side-vent-window-frame-24192.html

I am in the process of painting my van and needed one, I bought this and had it powdercoated black, then was able to get a good clean quality one off of a junkyard van.
This repro part is not the same quality as the original and thats why I did not use it, but it is not horrible. It is made from all aluminum, the lower pivot shaft is hard plastic, other issues I found included the upper pivot point in the wrong place (fixed), and the top attachment hole is a bit off angle. If you are SF Bay area you can just have it, if you want it shipped, shipping + a 6-pack for the effort boxing it up? PM me if you would like it, I can grab it tomorrow at the shop and take some photos if interested.
Doug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivers side wing window frame Reply with quote

Doug,
Just purchased one from another member. I knew you guys would come through, some times it takes a villiage to keep old cars going. Thanks for all the reply's to my request a great community going here Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: