Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubicixfactor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

Is there something special about this washer? I was expecting to pick these up at a FLAPS. They just look like a thick pattern M10 to me. My usual shop in the UK (VW Heritage) lists them:

"Washer for T4 case through bolt 12 required
[021-101-129]
£ 4.03"

I hate being ripped off for stuff like this but won't economise if it's something necessary.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they're hardened? Probably to match the bolts themselves, I think 8.8? This would affect torque, I think.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread. I know that the case through bolt washers are thicker like 2.8-3mm thick. Are they the same as the ones used on the head bolts? I always read the importance of using new washers and nuts on the head, but when I got the engine hardware kit from the TYPE 4 store https://lnengineering.com/ I did not get nuts and washers for the case through bolts. Are these usually replaced too?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

I've reused the main bolts, nuts & washers.
Also the special copper washer & center bolt through the strainer support lug.
The only issue seems to be clean threads, free of old sealant to get to proper torque.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

I believe they are hardened washers. You can reuse them if they are in good condition. None of that stuff comes with the hardware kit from the Type 4 store. They sell aftermarket bolts but they are expensive. Look around the Samba Classified, Busted Bus, etc. for a used set. They tend to hold up pretty well which is probably why you don’t see many people looking for them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

reuse them. If you need new of some of this stuff and want original new, try Auto Atlanta Porsche. https://www.autoatlanta.com/
wildDogPizza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

A part number like 021 101 129 means it's a VW specific part. General fasteners that you might find at hardware stores etc are listed starting with N. Head bolt washers are listed as N 11 527 1 so they aren't the same.

Case parting washers
021 101 129
Washer 10.2 x 22

Washers for head studs
N 11 527 1
Washer A 10.5
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

They just need to be thick enough and tough enough to not bend in use. Always best to install used nuts and washers so they are loaded in the same direction they were previously.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
reuse them. If you need new of some of this stuff and want original new, try Auto Atlanta Porsche. https://www.autoatlanta.com/

Wow, that was a trip down memory lane. Looking over all those Porsche Parts..... Dancing Dancing [I started out at a Porsche Specialty Shop years ago in the late '80s] Geez, 928 fuseboxes are pricey... Shocked
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

reviving this.

Anyone know a good source for the cyl head washers and nuts new or used, and also the case washers and nuts on a T4 late engine?

I searched and it is buy a couple here, a couple somewhere else. They are all over the place and prices on new ones are simply outrageous. Belmetric doesn't have them in the grade needed. None in classifieds that I could find either. I would think someone would have an old 2L T4 case that died lying around with the parts available for sale.

Case bolt hardware
Washer 021-101-129 (six each)
Nut 021-101-131 /E (six each)

Cylinder Head hardware
Washer N 011 527 11 (sixteen each)
Nut 021-101-457 (sixteen each)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
reviving this.

Anyone know a good source for the cyl head washers and nuts new or used, and also the case washers and nuts on a T4 late engine?

I searched and it is buy a couple here, a couple somewhere else. They are all over the place and prices on new ones are simply outrageous. Belmetric doesn't have them in the grade needed. None in classifieds that I could find either. I would think someone would have an old 2L T4 case that died lying around with the parts available for sale.

Case bolt hardware
Washer 021-101-129 (six each)
Nut 021-101-131 /E (six each)

Cylinder Head hardware
Washer N 011 527 11 (sixteen each)
Nut 021-101-457 (sixteen each)

I bought a bunch of double thick Grade 8 washers from Fastenal a decade back. English sizes, but something is probably close enough. Here is a chart from another source:

https://www.nutty.com/washers/grade-8-extra-heavy-thick-sae-flat-washers/
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

thanks Mike
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Anyone know a good source for the cyl head washers and nuts new or used

Nuts new.

https://germansupply.com/hex-nut-for-cylinder-head-mounting-10mm-studs.html

Washers are hard and thick, not a 'normal' washer. I've been trying to find a good substitute. They're still available from Porsche but the cost is a bit silly. We're out of the new washers.

https://germansupply.com/special-washer-for-cylinder-head-mounting-10mm-studs.html

We used to get some stuff made by a company called "Metric Blue" - thick hard washers and m10 nuts that are 15mm AF, might try looking for those. Can't get Metric Blue in Canada now.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

Scott - are those 12.9 hardness? I can find 10.6 here but I think VW used 12.9 on the case washers and nuts. The issue is buy washers here, buy, nuts there, buy washers here, but the other nuts over there. 4 X as much shipping and the end price is silly - like $250 USD which is stupid silly. Then I buy some used studs and I am at $300. It is way beyond what going to someone like ARP and saying build me racing quality hardware. The engines don't warrant it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

Belmetrics maybe??

On edit. 12.9 is a tensile strength spec, not hardness. There is no need for 12.9 hardware at engine case torques

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Scott - are those 12.9 hardness?

I don't know to be honest. They are genuine, original parts.

As far as the other rant about hardware sourcing, all that says to me is someone needs to make a proper engine fastener/hardware kit for a Type 4 engine. There are engine fastener kits I've seen but they are hardware store quality stuff, not OEM quality.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Scott - are those 12.9 hardness?

I don't know to be honest. They are genuine, original parts.

As far as the other rant about hardware sourcing, all that says to me is someone needs to make a proper engine fastener/hardware kit for a Type 4 engine. There are engine fastener kits I've seen but they are hardware store quality stuff, not OEM quality.

Thanks Scott
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

So, a lot of washers used in high stress areas on water cooled/cast iron have been "forged" washers. Pricey, but you can find them.

They do not have to be forged if they are hard enough and thick enough. Example is our class 12.9 washers that you are looking for here.

Also l99k for grade 9 sae washers. The class 12.9 has ~180,000 psi tens8lr. Grade 8 is 150,000 psi. Grade 9 is 180,000 psi.

Years ago ai had access to some grade 9 thicker structural washers that I filed down and clearance nicely on a drill press that work fine for these.

Also if you find hard enough washers with useful thickness.....unless you are doing a "restoration".....10.2 or 10.5 ID makes no difference on the ID and neither does a millimeter +/- on the OD as long as they fit nicely.

Let me see what ai can dig up in my hardware file. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
So, a lot of washers used in high stress areas on water cooled/cast iron have been "forged" washers. Pricey, but you can find them.

They do not have to be forged if they are hard enough and thick enough. Example is our class 12.9 washers that you are looking for here.

Also l99k for grade 9 sae washers. The class 12.9 has ~180,000 psi tens8lr. Grade 8 is 150,000 psi. Grade 9 is 180,000 psi.

Years ago ai had access to some grade 9 thicker structural washers that I filed down and clearance nicely on a drill press that work fine for these.

Also if you find hard enough washers with useful thickness.....unless you are doing a "restoration".....10.2 or 10.5 ID makes no difference on the ID and neither does a millimeter +/- on the OD as long as they fit nicely.

Let me see what ai can dig up in my hardware file. Ray

thanks Ray.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 case - through bolt washer advice needed Reply with quote

I ordered the case washers and nuts from Europe. The cylinder and head items can wait until some show up. Lots of folks sell good used case bolts and cylinder studs. REALLY surprised that folks who sell to us haven't figured out someone needs to make a 2L T4 fastener kit with everything in it, new and used as available.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: