Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

JC Whitney Cam specs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

If I used any of their stuff on my VW's it was cosmetic as I had a local VW/buggy shop I bought all my good stuff from. But I bought a ton of stuff for my other junkers!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

We spent a whole weekend putting a medium-cheap JCW cruise control on my Dad's TR8.

As soon as you set it, it would put the pedal to the floor! Shocked
I never even knew the TR8 ran so hard because my Dad never drove like that.
We dicked around with it, finally boxing it up and sending it back.

He got the "most expensive" one they had, and it worked great.

Still,
It was scary these little ball chains hanging from the pedals,
and the wonky brackets on the throttle linkage.

You would never be able to get away with selling shit like that nowadays.

What’s That Noise?!?
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

JC Whitney - lots of memories there.

We received the catalogs for years when I was growing up. I loved reading them as a kid (late 80s / early 90s).

My dad ordered vinyl nosecovers ("bras"), along with floor mats and seat covers for a few different cars. All pretty good quality if you paid for the good stuff, as I recall.

My folks ordered me one of the engine rebuild kits for me when I was 17 or so. It came with Cima 87mm pistons and cylinders, standard KS main and rod bearings, pushrod tubes and seals, valve cover gaskets, valve guides, and other misc. seals. I traded off the 87s for a new set of Mahle 94As locally, and then traded those off for who knows what. I used pushrod tubes / seals and rod bearings on my 1st engine. I think I may still have the main bearings around here somewhere.

The next year we ordered poly seats, headlight buckets, and a wiring harness for my fiberglass buggy project. The wiring harness was one of those kits that uses the stock fuses that you can still buy today (Empi) - what a spaghetti mess that was, but it worked, and I learned a lot from it.

I used the poly seats for years. The car still has the same headlight buckets today.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
We spent a whole weekend putting a medium-cheap JCW cruise control on my Dad's TR8.

As soon as you set it, it would put the pedal to the floor! Shocked
I never even knew the TR8 ran so hard because my Dad never drove like that.
We dicked around with it, finally boxing it up and sending it back.

He got the "most expensive" one they had, and it worked great.

Still,
It was scary these little ball chains hanging from the pedals,
and the wonky brackets on the throttle linkage.

You would never be able to get away with selling shit like that nowadays.

Sure you would! Been to Walmart or AutoZone lately?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

If you know the history of the company, it was Warshawsky & Co. which had a store on State St. in Chicago and also did mail orders. J.C. Whitney did only mail orders. When they moved out of Chicago to LaSalle, it was just J.C. Whitney. They even issued refund checks that said "W & Co." on them. I got a refund check from them once for $0.01. You are reading that correctly: one cent. For years I had it framed and posted at work.

Last edited by Bonesberg55 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

Anyone remember when Sears used to sell VW parts?
I remember buying their ”Cyclone Header” and a cast aluminum fan shroud from them back in the early 80’s.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

They used to sell an exhaust analyzer. You stuck it in the tail pipe. I think it was just a narrow band tool. But, still, a cool tool for the time.

I had their carb sync tool. It was actually a gauge with a needle. It got barrowed and never returned.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
Anyone remember when Sears used to sell VW parts?

They once sold entire engines. A friend bought and installed in his doubledoor Bus a VW-rebuilt 36-horse early in the 60s, he tells me.

FWIW the reground crank/bearings I bought from JCW held up just fine.
texastomeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: JC Whitney Cam specs Reply with quote

I was into V8's (Chebys and Fards) back in those days, but EVERYTHING that you point out about their VW stuff was also true about their "real" cars and engines stuff (LOL)!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tom

GETTING old was GREAT - BEING old SUCKS!!

Too bad that the guys that know how to solve all of the WORLD's problems are too busy working on old Volkswagens!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: