Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your Favorite type of gas Heater?
Eberspacher
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
South Wind
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Perfection
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Inform me why)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

I thought this would be an interesting question to ask is what is your favorite type of gas heater and why? I have restored both types of heaters and it is interesting the similarities and differences. One being how compact the Eberspacher is, but is harder to work on where the south wind is easy to work on but is a lot bigger. The construction on them is very different, both good but the Eberspacher seeming to be better quality, but its more finicky than the South Wind. I also noticed if a little extra gas gets in the combustion chamber of the South Wind, you get a loud bang, where the Eberspacher, you can flood it with unburnt fuel and when it lites, it just smokes bad. Also, the South Winds use a coil and spark plug where the Eberspaches use a glow plug and have no coil. Also, what are some problems you have seen with them.There are lot of other differences too that are not in here so list them! If your have other favorite heater like the Perfection say why!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

I have both an Eberspacher and a South Wind that I have got working. I prefer the South Wind just based on the simplicity of the design, though I have to agree with you about the bang if you get too much fuel in the burn chamber. It will scare the hell out of you, lol. I want to take the South Wind and put it in the 69 at some point. Fun items to learn and play with.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

The Eberspacher got a coil/spark plug for the BN4 in the mid-'60s. That carried over into the BA4 and BA6, making for a quick starting heater.

I originally found and bought a BN2 Eberspacher in great shape and mostly complete at Interstate VW back in 1992 when they were over by Carlsbad Raceway. If it wasn't for that chance meeting then I'm sure Id of dabbled in Southwind.

I've never even seen a Southwind running. It's hard enough to find a VW with a running Eberspacher let alone an owner that knows exactly what it is and cares to have it running.

Gas Heater peeps are few and far between.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

Funny, finding this post. I was just thinking about this topic. Just like everything else on the internet, I'm not the first person to wonder.

I used to have a Southwind in my DC 61. My wife hated the occasional woop/boom when it would flood a second before ignition. But she sure appreciated the heat once it was on.

I've just finished restoring two early BN4 heaters in my shop. I like the design of the eberspacher. It seems to fire easily and has a sleeker design. Replacing the diaphragms was a pain to source material. I do worry a little about finding parts in the future, but I have that same worry for old VW's in general...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

How did you work the brass fitting in the middle of the diaphragm?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

So far so good...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
So far so good...

How did you do it?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's one I'm rebuilding tonight.
First, I took the old, hardened diaphragm and drilled out the rivet.

Then I cut a new diaphragm from some material I got off McMaster-Carr. It's called, Fabric-Reinforced Oil-Resistant Buna-N Rubber Sheet
12" x 12", 1/16".

Next, I put it all back together with a solid brass rivet, but I ran out and have to get some at the hardware store tomorrow. [/img]

Last edited by Ollie W on Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

Laughing Cool Applause

Nice!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

I have a southwind in my 62 ragtop, as it has a 2 liter engine with header and no provisions for heater boxes. I even made some outlets for it, that were intended to connect to the defroster vents. But I've never needed them. It is super simple, and took just 2-3 hours of fussing to make it run well. Best thing is, at the time everyone wanted an Eberspacher, and nobody wanted a southwind, so I ended up with three of them for next to nothing.
I'll admit it feels wrong having the gas heater practically on top of the fuel tank, but so far so good Wink
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspacher vs. South Wind Gas heaters Reply with quote

Ha! I have one used Eberspacher and five assorted models of used Southwind units in the basement thinking that someday I'd play with 'em. So far I never have. I ought to sell 'em to make a little shelf room down there... Luckily Missouri isn't so cold that I really need gas heaters with my stock VW heaters working well in my old VWs.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: