Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 SB Turn Signals
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommyleea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

In previous thread I had the spade connector issue. I did get that fixed, thanks for that. Now, I had the left tail light assembly removed for some fender maintenance. With the left tail light assembly back in place, I have a new issue. The emergency flashers work fine, parking and tail lights work. But, my turn signals don't work. The dash indicator lights up, but doesn't flash, and none of the turn signal bulbs come on. Before I dig too deep, is there something in the left tail light assembly that would cause this issue? All worked fine prior to the reinstall. Thanks..Tommy
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

A problem with the left taillight housing could affect the front/rear left turn signals but should not affect the right side. They are separate.

Try this test... remove the turn indicator lamp from the speedometer. Retest your turn signals and the E-Flashers. Do they all work as expected?

Before you reinstall your turn indicator lamp, check that the bottom most terminal of the speedometer, which is a shared connection for all three indicator lamps, runs to the fuse box. It may run to the fuel gauge before going to the fuse box. This confirms the bottom most terminal is a shared 12v+ power source coming from the fuse box. If this shared connection wire runs to a ground, it is miswired.

Reinstall the turn indicator lamp into the speedometer and retest. When you turn the key to ON/RUN before starting the engine the OIL and GEN lamps should turn ON confirming the shared 12v+ power source is powering these two bulbs.
If the problem returns after reconnecting the turn indicator lamp in the speedometer it indicates you have the indicator lamp wired incorrectly... or you are running a flasher relay that is not compatible with the VW turn signals.
VW compatible flasher relay will always have terminals: 31, 49(+) and 49a. Any other terminal numbers and you are running the wrong flasher relay. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. Generic flasher relays often don't work properly in a VW. Your FLAPS should have an EP-35 flasher relay which is compatible with VW wiring.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
tommyleea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
A problem with the left taillight housing could affect the front/rear left turn signals but should not affect the right side. They are separate.

Try this test... remove the turn indicator lamp from the speedometer. Retest your turn signals and the E-Flashers. Do they all work as expected?

Before you reinstall your turn indicator lamp, check that the bottom most terminal of the speedometer, which is a shared connection for all three indicator lamps, runs to the fuse box. It may run to the fuel gauge before going to the fuse box. This confirms the bottom most terminal is a shared 12v+ power source coming from the fuse box. If this shared connection wire runs to a ground, it is miswired.

Reinstall the turn indicator lamp into the speedometer and retest. When you turn the key to ON/RUN before starting the engine the OIL and GEN lamps should turn ON confirming the shared 12v+ power source is powering these two bulbs.
If the problem returns after reconnecting the turn indicator lamp in the speedometer it indicates you have the indicator lamp wired incorrectly... or you are running a flasher relay that is not compatible with the VW turn signals.
VW compatible flasher relay will always have terminals: 31, 49(+) and 49a. Any other terminal numbers and you are running the wrong flasher relay. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not. Generic flasher relays often don't work properly in a VW. Your FLAPS should have an EP-35 flasher relay which is compatible with VW wiring.

Thanks ashman40..I will perform the tests as recommended. Just as a note, everything has been working fine, until my recent removal and reinstallation of the left tail light assembly.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

Could you have miswired the taillight assembly? Here is a pic from Speedy Jim's site showing the harness wire colors and the light assembly wire colors. You can check that these have not changed at the junction in the engine compartment hidden behind the tar paper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tommyleea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Could you have miswired the taillight assembly? Here is a pic from Speedy Jim's site showing the harness wire colors and the light assembly wire colors. You can check that these have not changed at the junction in the engine compartment hidden behind the tar paper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did take a picture before I disconnected the wires, and it is wired up as you pictured. The other llghts in the assembly work fine. It appears I am not getting any power from the turn signal switch, for some reason. I guess just coincidental, that it happened at this time. Thanks again.
tommyleea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

Worked on the VW today. Since I had the fuse box down, I started with the fuses and the relay. Fuse power was all good. Fuse 8 had power with key off, and fuse 12 with key on. Removed turn signal relay, and jumped 49+ and 49a. No change. Checked power at 49+ with key on, and no battery power. Checked the ground circuit, and it checked good. Took a break. Came back, and checked for power again at 49+, and I had battery power! Jumped 40+ and 49a, and when I checked my lights all four corners were on? Fiddled around a little more, and then realized that my emergency hazard switch was on. I must have bumped it, or just forgot it was on. So, now I have power to 49+ when the emergency flasher switch is on. I turn the hazard switch off, and recheck 49+, and I have power! I reinstalled the flasher, turned the key on, turned the signals on, and everything is working. Thanks for all the inputs, and if you need the powerball numbers let me know....
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

Sounds like the internal contacts in the E-Flasher switch are not making full contact. Working the switch ON/OFF can get them working again.
tommyleea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: 74 SB Turn Signals Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Sounds like the internal contacts in the E-Flasher switch are not making full contact. Working the switch ON/OFF can get them working again.

Thanks for your help ashman40. You made the troubleshooting much easier to follow. Probably will be changing the hazard switch out before long. Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: