Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

I need help finishing my '74 Super Beetle. I can't find any wiper blades that have the right mounting clip that properly fits the hook ends on my wiper arms. I think Bosch used to have the clip in their Micro-edge line of wipers, but I bought a pair of 15" wipers and they don't fit. I got them to clip but the side to side spacing is too wide in the clip and the wiper blade wiggles all over the windshield when moved.

I tried Napa today and both 11" length brands that they carry that say they should fit, don't fit either.

What brand have you guys recently bought that works? There must be something out there.

Thanks.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

they usually come with seperate adapters that fit the wiper arms
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

That use to be the case but the adapters with the blades now seem to be for the newer wider width arms, which are just too wide.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

I bought some a couple months ago at my FLAPS. Wolfsburg West has them in stock if your local place does not.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

You have to pinch your wiper-arm ends a little.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

You could also just buy the rubber inserts, and fit them into your existing blades, like we all did in the old days. Ask at the counter if the store carries inserts separately, or just scavenge them from a set of brand new blades.

My 1971 Convertible uses shorter wipers, I just match up the insert length, using one of these special tools:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Most recent wiper blade purchase were Duralast brand from Autozone. Came with multiple adaptors, fit just fine. If they don't have the 11' see if they can order them. Many, many, many cars still on the road use the hook-style wiper arms our VWs use.
Aside from that you can try Bug City in CT, Richie's Garage in NJ, and there is a "wiper guy" that advertises here on the Samba, all with many many NOS wipers and arms in stock.
You got this.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
EttaPartsPlace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

At my job, we sell Bosch 11 inch. So far dozens of happy customers. I didn't see that brand with THAT inch listed yet.
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks much for the feedback on the Duralast brand. Autozone doesn't list this as compatible if you do a vehicle check but the Bosch Micro-edge they do list, doesn't fit. I figured there were other brands out there that would work but they have dropped the link to the older VWs for fit and I didn't want to do the trial and error method anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion on buying just the inserts. I would do that if I had some old blades that fit but unfortunately I didn't have any and most folks don't save them for swap meets either. I've been looking.

I wrote the wiper guy once and never got a reply so I didn't pursue that avenue anymore.

I think my local Autozone has the 11" blades as I was just in there last night. I'll let you know how it goes.
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that Autozone listed a Bosch 15" blade as the replacement and the clip in that package didn't fit. Maybe the 11" package has the proper adapter. I'll check that out too.

Thanks.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

The AZs up here have the old school phone book style sizing books. Those list old VWs still....
Maybe they only dropped them from the online listings...though I don't get why, unless they stopped selling them with those adaptors. Man, I have thrown dozens of those away over the years...If I'd only know the adaptors would become unobtanium.....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

rdwood wrote:
Forgot to mention that Autozone listed a Bosch 15" blade as the replacement and the clip in that package didn't fit. Maybe the 11" package has the proper adapter. I'll check that out too.

Thanks.

I just put a set on my 70. Needed to pinch the arm end closed to get it snug. Other than that they work perfectly.
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

I bought the Duralast 13" conventional blades. They included a clip for the Shepard hook design and was real close to fitting, but the channel for the hook was a little too narrow. I used an Xacto knife to remove a sliver of material for each side of the plastic channel and then my wiper arm clicked into place nice and tight.

Since I made the Duralast wipers work I didn't bother with re-trying the Bosch Micro-edge in the 11" size.
vwbarrios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I too could not find a wiper blade for my 1970 Volkswagen Beetle. I needed one asap and after reading the comments I decided to try Walmart and I found that a rear window wiper balde of a newer car works. Even the clip latches on. It is, however 10' but it definitely gets the job done. Check it out.

[/img]
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Quote:
carries inserts separately

Getting a single 23" wiper and getting two out of it with the special tool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

vwbarrios wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I too could not find a wiper blade for my 1970 Volkswagen Beetle. I needed one asap and after reading the comments I decided to try Walmart and I found that a rear window wiper balde of a newer car works. Even the clip latches on. It is, however 10' but it definitely gets the job done. Check it out.

[/img]

i bought (two month ago) just the rubber inserts at O'reileys and did install them in my old wiper blade frames.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

Keep your eyes peeled in the Samba classifieds, eBay, etc. for a set of original metal wiper blade holders w/ the plastic inserts intact (e.g. "SWF" brand or similar). These should fit on your wiper arms perfectly.

Then get a set of new Bosch 11" wiper blade assemblies, and transfer the rubber wiper (and stainless insert strips) from the new Bosch holder to your old original German holders.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Blades that fit - need suggestions Reply with quote

I could be wrong....it looks like that wiper arm in the photo is for the passenger side. The angle of the arm 'bend' and where the wiper blade hits the windshield seal. The arms I'm using were marked L and R
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: