Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Young people are funny
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I told her one thing her generation will never know is total silence... you know, not having a phone on your hip 24/7 or being plugged into some sort of device.

We limit what time she spends on shit like that but the reality is she is way more hands on.

Our neighbors lost a 16 yr old son last year in a single car accident. He wandered slightly off the road but unfortunately there was a disabled car parked there. He died instantly. It’s almost guaranteed that he was looking at his phone. Earlier in the year he totaled a full sized PU due to inattention running a stop sign. He was a good humble kid. On the way home from a Young Life event when he died.

The point of this story is , imo, parents are inadvertently training their kids to suffer these accidents. When kids are passengers how do they spend their time ? Their face is in a screen. It doesn’t help that way too many adult drivers set a deadly example.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

Way back when I was a young people, I had a '49 ford F-1 pick-up with a floor mounted 3 speed, 6.00x 16 hard as a rock bias ply tires, 6 volt possitive ground tube type AM radio that was as big as a loaf of bread, spot light, sun visor, flat head motor that made no noise at idle even after the muffler fell off, windows that needed help when you rolled them up, a seat that had only one position, and burned a quart between fill-ups {don't forget to change the toilet paper roll}. Oh, and a driver's door that had an automatic opening system if you hit the right sized bump. The old guys laughed at me too when I couldn't figure out how to remove the water pump/motor mount. Kids, HA HA HA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
We're talking basic math here, not calculus. Simple addition and subtraction is not a brain buster. Yes, parents and the educational system share in the blame as well as the employer who did the hiring. My 9-year-old grandson can handle counting change.

I started teaching my kid algebraic concepts, geometry and chemistry when he was in the third grade. He was bilingual by the age of 8 (thanks to me), and when he was 10 years-old, he tested at a 135 IQ. He is currently taking the most advanced math courses available to him at the high school level. The reason I'm telling you all this is not because I'm trying to brag, it is so you will fully understand what I'm about to say:

The school sends out regular weekly reports about what the kids looks up on the internet while in class. Last week, I saw in the report that my kid googled "8 x 6 = ?". Bilingual at age 8, 135 IQ at age 10, algebra, geometry and chemistry in the third grade, and the kid had to google "8 x 6"? I mean, why bother to memorize basic multiplication (or even learn to use a calculator, for that matter) when you can just google it, right?

We're all doomed.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

Quote:
the most advanced math courses

was helping a kid with his math homework. Looked it over and told him how to do it. Letter from the teacher next day "Want to thank you for helping with the homework but we don't want him to solve those math problems that way." Confused
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
the most advanced math courses

was helping a kid with his math homework. Looked it over and told him how to do it. Letter from the teacher next day "Want to thank you for helping with the homework but we don't want him to solve those math problems that way." Confused

I've ran into that problem with both of my children. Any parent that has helped their child with math taught the "Common Core" way was probably as appalled as I was. So I started teaching my kids long division and basic algebraic concepts.

I've had multiple "teachers" send me emails that is not the way they do it, and would send me links so I can learn common core.. Rolling Eyes

Luckily, my son's new 6th grade teacher doesn't mind when my son turns in his math test done in all algebra.

The fault doest lie at the feet of the children, it lies squarely on the shoulders of the generation that educates them.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

Quote:
I can learn

Had to go on-line to find out what 'Tap the words out." You know "tapping out the words." Kinda like phonics but keeping count with your fingers. Confused
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Young people are funny Reply with quote

OK, we don't need another topic of old men whining., so let's call it quits.

Link

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: