Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of Bays in Snow
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Got back from the trip, I didn’t mess with the heater or putting up a wall but the heat did okay, I wasn’t too cold. The drive back was bad though, once I got to the Mackinaw Bridge, the highway was down to one lane and the other had an icy or two of snow, and it was dark and snow was coming down hard. The bus made it fine thankfully even though there was a ton of black ice and I passed 3-4 cars that went off the highway that I saw and it was divided by trees so I couldn’t see the other side even.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trying to jump start me and my roommates project cabrio before we left

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

First flakes of the season. Portland, OR

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

My 68 single cab is sitting under a foot of fresh cold snow. No photos, cuz it's kinda boring.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Looks like we may have a white Christmas this year. Out for a drive yesterday to see some local lights.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Living in the south of the UK I only get a chance to see snow with my bus maybe every 5-10 years, so I was surprised when this happened..

We went on a trip the other day to a National Trust property called Dyrham Park between London and Bristol just off the M4 motorway to the north of Bath and found there was snow at the top of the hill. This was taken in the car park.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Normally for the past 12 years when they say the two S words in my area I’d tuck him away till Spring. But this year I haven’t here in Iowa. This was last week here. It’s all melted now. But they are calling for 3”-8” then blizzard conditions the next few days. Still driving him and eventually will tuck him away.
Most likely after this blizzard is over.

cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Knoxville, TN Blizzard of March, ‘93

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:

The blizzard of '93! I was in Boone, NC at the time. The snow was so deep that college kids were jumping out of their dorm windows into the snow. I was driving a '67 Westfalia at the time and my best friend was driving a '70 Westfalia.
SonOF@Biss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Stoney Hawk wrote:

Awesome bus and pic!
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Dusting of snow - 1982 Winter Term, Corvallis, Oregon

January 1997 winter storm, Friday Harbor, WA

and more snow, January 1997, Friday Harbor, WA

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:

I love when snow hits the south. Awesome pic!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:

Winter of 96/97 was one of the best ever for a young snowboarder in Idaho. The sheer number of powder days was unreal.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Emily's Owner wrote:

Winter of 96/97 was one of the best ever for a young snowboarder in Idaho. The sheer number of powder days was unreal.

Mt. Hood resorts had to shut down during this storm as Hwy 26 (and I think Hwy 35) completely closed to traffic - hard to believe too much snow Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Emily's Owner wrote:

Mt. Hood resorts had to shut down during this storm as Hwy 26 (and I think Hwy 35) completely closed to traffic - hard to believe too much snow Rolling Eyes

Schweitzer had to close a couple of lifts so they could dig snow out from under the lift line. Snow had built up so high your skis would drag on the snow in places that are dozens of feet off the ground in the summer.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Living in the south of the UK I only get a chance to see snow with my bus maybe every 5-10 years, so I was surprised when this happened..

We went on a trip the other day to a National Trust property called Dyrham Park between London and Bristol just off the M4 motorway to the north of Bath and found there was snow at the top of the hill. This was taken in the car park.

The last time I drove my family's 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan (with circa 1977/78 vintage, Michelin XZX, 185 SR14 Reinforced radial-ply tyres) was during the winter of 1990/91 returning the circa 127 miles, on a Sunday evening after the weekend at home in Canvey Island, Essex, to the Royal Military College of Science, on the Oxfordshire / Wiltshire border.

The only other times I drove a van under snowy conditions, were as follows:

1) Driving a 1975 Toyota Hiace Mk.1 based Danbury motor-caravan with baggage trailer during the Easter school-holidays of 1979, from Canvey Island, Essex to a campsite on the River Yare, not far from Norwich, Norfollk. Somewhere on the A12, not far from Colchester, Essex, I encountered a snow blizzard, with a cross-wind, causing the snow to fall diagonally across my path and I was obliged to turn the steering-wheel clockwise by about 45 degrees from the straight ahead position, in order to maintain my heading parallel to the road.

2) Driving an early-1980s vintage Ford Transit 1600 panel van (actually a mobile sound-test laboratory belonging to the AACPA), back from Melksham Wiltshire to Grays, Essex via the M4 motorway one evening, sometime during late-1984 to early-1986.

When I joined the three-lane motorway, ALL of the vehicles were driving on slippery, hard-packed snow, at about 40 mph in the nearside "slow" lane, at following distance of about 20~30 feet, which I would have considered safe on a dry road in summer, at a speed of circa 20 mph!

Both the middle lane and offside outer lane, were covered with undisturbed virgin snow, on which no vehicles were travelling, so I elected to drive at 60 mph (then the maximum speed limit on motorways for a commercial van) on the virgin snow, in the empty outer lane, which was devoid of traffic, to get clear of the "crazy gang" who were in grave danger of having a serious multi-vehicle collision, potentially involving tens if not hundreds of vehicles! Strangely, no other drivers followed my example!?! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

This was when we were still watercooled, it did not like the cold. The old tires didnt handle too well in the snow either Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of Bays in Snow Reply with quote

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 72

Jump to: