Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Colors look great! Reminds me of tomato soup and crackers. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Pretty much finished with the interior. Just waiting on the front seats to get sand blasted, I will then prime and paint them before they get upholstered.
I removed the top to take to the shop to bodywork and paint it. I cleaned up and polished the tracks, installed the felt seals and unstuck the stuck black knob on the Golde handle without breaking anything.
Starting the wiring next and the will finish up installing the engine seals in preparation for shoehorning the 356 engine in its new home.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Sunroof is installed and works great. Still need to fabricate the headliner panel.
I also bolted up the Porsche engine. Went in easy, easier than a stock engine. Go figure.
Next step is to fabricate up the side and rear tins then hook everything up and see if it starts.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

This is giving me motivation to get back to my 61. Yours is looking great. Sunroof puts this over the top for me
61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

So close!
Things are getting really exciting!! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

912 side tins trimmed are easy and good, slight modification of VW 36hp style is good for rear tin, same for front tin
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

No interference of the engine lid springs with the tops of the air cleaners as you bring the lid down? Looks like it would be very close...

Excellent work on the sunroof mechanism!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

What did you do to the deck lid latch? Paint it silver or plate it? All the little details stick out!

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
912 side tins trimmed are easy and good, slight modification of VW 36hp style is good for rear tin, same for front tin

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like my 356 front tin will work, I’ll try the 36hp one for the rear before I chop up my Porsche one.
For wide tins I’m going to cut up some VW cylinder head tins using the flat pieces with holes drilled in them to mount them to the Porsche heads.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
No interference of the engine lid springs with the tops of the air cleaners as you bring the lid down? Looks like it would be very close...

Excellent work on the sunroof mechanism!

The right spring just kisses the top barely. The carbs are just sitting there until I get the tins In place. I’m hoping once I have everything tightened down I’ll have proper clearance.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

VeloMikey wrote:
What did you do to the deck lid latch? Paint it silver or plate it? All the little details stick out!

I cleaned it up and painted it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Apparently there is a way to order the TMI OEM style door panels in other colors. I was on the evwparts website and found and found this option. https://www.evwparts.com/volkswagen/TMIGhiaSedanOEMFullSetDoorPanels.html

The Part # is 19-1524-Custom

Of course, you're limited to TMI vinyls but you can get it them in the OEM style in the color of your choice.

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Beautiful work! That's a great looking door panel. Where did you source the door panel from? This is going to be such an attention grabber every where you take it.
Congratulations.

Hi Mark, door panels are from TMI.

You're lucky your interior is brick red and you can use the TMI door panel. Brick red is the only color of the 5 or 6 colors they offer that actually came on Ghias (I don't understand why they make them in non-factory colors. I tried contacting TMI and of course got no response).
I actually considered doing a brick red interior solely for the ease of getting that door panel. I'm STILL waiting on my off-white door panels from SMS that I ordered last summer.

So their gray and blue ones are not close to original? It’s hard to tell in pictures. I have a 63 Emerald Green car to do and will need panels but I don’t ones that are not correct.
I waited several months for my material from SMS. I finally called them and left a message and amazingly the next day got a shipping notice.

The original silver beige interiors I've seen photos of, the "grey" portion of the door cards has a more earthy/brown tint to it, as opposed to the stark "grey-scale" grey of the TMI panels.
I've never seen that TMI water blue color in a 61-66 Ghia. Was that an original color?

I believe these are OG silver beige panels
https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2021-shannons-spring-timed-online-auction/NFMBDEKF597GY3C0/

TMI grey
https://classiccars.com/listings/view/922636/1965-...ouri-63074

The difference is subtle, and a non-Ghia person would likely never know, but it's there.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Finally made some progress on the Ghia. Was on vacation since early May, got back early July and have been chipping away slowly since.
The biggest problem has been the sunroof. While I was lucky to get most of the mechanical, bits that attach to the body, the cables were AWOL. The car did come with a set of Beetle cables and an entire Beetle roof which I was able to pirate peices from to make the Beetle cables work on my Ghia roof. But there were other problems, it was missing the headliner panel.
I located one on the Samba that was supposed to be for a Beetle, but it wasn’t. I think it may have been for a Porsche 356 or possible a 912? But in any case I got really lucky and it fit the hole in my roof with minor adaptation.
The tricky part though is it was a clip on style, meaning it attached to the sunroof with plastic snaps whereas the original fastened with slots that went into brackets on the sunroof. So I had to make adaptations there as well
After several attempts to make it work, and three destroyed headliners later, it works. Amazingly enough.
I also finished up on the body trim, the quarter window scrapers, and the dreaded “C” trim in the windshield and rear window. The C trim was much easier to install thanks to Samba user Craigbro’s clever tip of using two different wires and the fact that I removed the original trim myself from the old windows carefully so they were not distorted.
Next step is to get the front seats upholstered, clean up the gas tank and install and see if the engine I built

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Apparently there is a way to order the TMI OEM style door panels in other colors. I was on the evwparts website and found and found this option. https://www.evwparts.com/volkswagen/TMIGhiaSedanOEMFullSetDoorPanels.html

The Part # is 19-1524-Custom

Of course, you're limited to TMI vinyls but you can get it them in the OEM style in the color of your choice.

Duuuuude! I asked a couple vendors (jbugs and someone else I can't recall offhand) if this was possible to do and they both said no, so I quit looking into it. I didn't know about evwparts. I wish I'd have known about this last summer before I ordered from SMS. I'd have had my door panels last year probably Laughing

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

What a dream ghia 😍 ans you are making great progress Very Happy

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Been forever since I updated this build thread, but I’ve been buried in projects and waiting on parts so…
But most of all I had to,figure out how to fit a 356 muffler in a Ghia body. To make a long story short I had to cut all four inlet pipes for the muffler, bolt up the flanges to the 2-4 heads, cut a part of the override support bracket out, stuff the muffler up and in until it mated with the flange section, tack weld to make sure it fit, then bench weld it. For 1-3 I used splices and clamps, not elegant but it works.
I then broke in the cam and it runs. Now if I had a couple of seats I could drive it.
Meanwhile, my set of Luis Rock Grey floor mats arrived. They look sharp.
The seats are almost done, so maybe before the New Yesr I’ll be able to road test it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

such a great looking car. Cant wait to see it finished. Hoping to head to CA in June
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Way to persevere with the muffler Dan.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

Really closing to road testing, awesome!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Golde metal sunroof Ghia project Reply with quote

I'm sure that first drive will be epic Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: