Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

*TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Jimbo, I feel confident about finding TDC. Neither valve moves when rotating the engine, rotor is pointing at 4 o'clock, the spark plug wire at 4 oclock goes to #1, and the pulley is original to the engine (I'm the second owner). I removed all the plugs and cleaned out the galleys - documented with pictures on my 71 build thread. I do want to examine those lifters.

But first, raydog, here is what the sump looks like after draining the oil. Note, this is the first oil change after the rebuild. So far I've run it for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm to distribute the oil but I haven't had it on the road yet to set the rings. Definitely sone metal in that oil. Normal during break in?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

What does the oil look like?

That is a lot of material! Looks like a bearing or…? 20 minutes?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

That looks like Cam & lifter damage Crying or Very sad What oil u running?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

See if the slurry sticks to a magnet.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Oil is no-brand 30 weight useful for break in. The sump plate oil doesn't feel gritty or anything. Not sure if this video might help those if you with experience diagnosing these things.

Link

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
See if the slurry sticks to a magnet.

The oil sticks to a magnet, but it also sticks to everything else like oil does.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Tom,
That is wayyy too much sludge for a freshly broke in engine.

The breakin waste oil usually has some shimmer in the pan. But the sump plate would be fairly clean.

To me it looks like bearing material. But then, it could be the lighting in the pic above.

As stated earlier. Get a strong magnet and see if the sludge sticks to it.
If it does stick, your cam or followers are wearing.
It the material does not stick, it's bearing material.

Either way. be prepared for a tear down to see what's going on in the case.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Oh that's doesn't look good at all.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
So maybe I have a new problem, any thoughts on why all 8 valve lashes would increase after just 10 minutes of idling? This is a new build - new cam, new followers, new stems, new exhaust valves. I feel like I'm missing something easy. Thanks if you have any thoughts.

Have you bothered to check the oil yet? Sounds like you have a cam going flat and/or lifter faces getting chewed up. Drain the oil, remove sump plate and take a pic of what you see. You shouldn't be prolonging the idle on a fresh build.

I'm thinking this as well. Was the engine broken in according to the procedure to harden the surface of the cam lobes and lifters?

If it was me I'd break it down just to be comfortable of what's going on in the bottom end so as to avoid the loss of the engine if an apocalypse is underway down there. Contain the damage at this point and begin again.

Edit. I guess I missed the second page before I replied. Stop now. It's the apocalypse. Split it open, clean and assess everything as if it was an unknown badly worn engine and start again based on a new unbiased assessment of every part and bearing surface.

Been there brother. Feeling the frustration with you for sure.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Reading through this thread it seems that the best route would be to pull your engine and open it back up to determine a root cause. I would guess, like others here, is that your cam is not happy with the lifters therefore contaminating the oil. I could be wrong, but the bent push rods and excessive backlash in the valve train seems to point to this scenario.
Upon rebuild I would suggest using a high zinc oil, Brad Penn, or run a zinc additive with your regular motor oil on break-in. Though not necessary another item to consider might be an oil pump with a spin-on filter.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Before you yank the motor check the side clearance of the rocker assembly since you added springs to replace dead ones and see how the rocker pad's are hitting the valve stims, slightly off center as the valves must spin.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Before you yank the motor check the side clearance of the rocker assembly since you added springs to replace dead ones and see how the rocker pad's are hitting the valve stims, slightly off center as the valves must spin.

This is not a dig. I really am just curious in your thinking. At this point, with the sump open and with the large deposit of finely ground metal, it seems odd to keep looking at the contact surface pattern, since a new motor will need to be built.

But agree, the rockers need to hit off center so the valves spins during the run cycle. Plus they need to swipe the tip.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Engine tear down will happen Tuesday. I will post pictures of what I find. Thinking ahead. If the cam-to-lifter surface is not getting oil, is there a specific galley that could be clogged? How does oil get delivered to those surfaces?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Engine tear down will happen Tuesday. I will post pictures of what I find. Thinking ahead. If the cam-to-lifter surface is not getting oil, is there a specific galley that could be clogged? How does oil get delivered to those surfaces?

Splash from the crankshaft.

On the rebuild. Use a good lube for the camshaft and lifter faces.
This is what I use,
https://goodson.com/products/cam-shield-premium-assembly-lube

Use a good breakin oil too. Brad Penn breaking oil is a good selection,
https://www.yotashop.com/brad-penn-30w-break-in-oi...-dEALw_wcB
Or,
https://fab9tuning.com/joe-gibbs-driven-br-break-i...WfEALw_wcB
Using cheap oil, because your gonna drain it immediately after breakin. Is not recommended.
Yeah, you're gonna toss it out right after the first 20 minutes of life.
But the protection the breakin oil offers is cheap compared to..... Well, what you are about to go through to get the engine back to running condition.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Double check TDC for sure. But it also sounds like it could be a sticking valve...or lifter. Who did the rebuild? Tight lifters are a great way to cause a cam to crap the bed
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

rustavenger wrote:
Use a good lube for the camshaft and lifter faces.

Thanks for the tip. I won't be messing around this time.

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Tight lifters are a great way to cause a cam to crap the bed

I recall during the build not being too happy with the lifter fitment. A few seemed a little tight. I measured everything related to the rods and pistons. Is there a spec measurement step for lifter fitment that I missed? I'll be checking that for sure.

Although no more need to speculate. We'll all know tomorrow.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Did you pull the strainer out and take a look too? Not see you mention that.
Rickf1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

I saw mention of valve guide replacement but no mention of reaming or check of the valve to guide clearance. Once hot the valves could be bound up and jamming the pushrods and the entire valvetrain into the cam. So, once it is apart be SURE to look at the valve guides while you have it apart.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Rickf1985 wrote:
I saw mention of valve guide replacement but no mention of reaming or check of the valve to guide clearance. Once hot the valves could be bound up and jamming the pushrods and the entire valvetrain into the cam. So, once it is apart be SURE to look at the valve guides while you have it apart.
X2 totally agree
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: *TWO* Bent Push Rods on Recent Rebuild Reply with quote

Valves and guides were done by a local VW machinist whom I trust a great deal. I'll check them for sure. But every head he's machined for me in the past has been fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: