Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Has anyone ever installed one of these in a Super Beetle...? I want to put AC in my '73 Super over the winter, but want to avoid the Gilmore system w/all of the bulk it adds to the engine compartment and butchery of the dash/glove box.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-System-Electric-A...8e619e3a57

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Unlikely you have 80 amps to spare in your electrical system, which from the factory is about 35 amps capacity, aftermarket 55.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Even with a 90 amp alternator?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Certainly an interesting concept / idea! Smile

But yeah, looks like specs for that system show it requiring nearly 1,000 watts of available power - !! You would definitely need a pretty big/powerful alternator, especially if you want to run any other electrical systems at the same time, e.g. lights, rear window defroster, stereo system, etc.

Where would you put the condenser?

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I'm not real clear on what all the AC terminology refers to, but the blower unit would be under dash on the passenger side. The compressor in the trunk and the rest some where under the car I guess. There's a guy on the Super Beetles Only FB page who has installed this same system on his two Ghias, says it works great. I haven't gotten a clear answer on his alternator or battery setup though.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I'm not real clear on what all the AC terminology refers to...

The blower unit that goes under the dash, that has the "evaporator" inside of it, that's where the liquid refrigerant expands through a valve and changes state to an icy gas, this cold gas flows through the "coil" (evaporator) and makes the coils cold, then the blower blows warm interior air past those cold coils and onto you. (In that process, that gas flowing through the evaporator coil is actually warming, it's picking up heat from the warmer air passing over it while it blows the cool air on you, it's an exchange process.)

The "condenser" is the large radiator-like unit with the big fan on it, this is where the expanded (spent/warmed) refrigerant gas goes to dump its heat (hence the big fan) and converts back into liquid refrigerant, to repeat the process over again.

So he's asking where you'd plan to put the huge radiator-like component, the condensor. It needs to have access to air, just like a car's radiator. The set of vents up front on a Super can lend themselves to provide some airflow (along with the fan) to cool the condensor coils, if packaged that way. Not sure how the guy with the Ghias packaged it, maybe underneath.

On a typical passenger vehicle, this condensor is stacked right in front of the radiator, and benefits from the airflow through the grille and the radiator fan(s).
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Thanks for that great explanation. For whatever reason, my '73 has a solid front apron - no vents unlike every other Super I've owned. There's no evidence of front end damage on this car - no beaten or pulled metal, or welda and seam sealer that don't look factory. I'll have to go thru the gallery to find AC pictures of how others install condensers.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

Lt. Dan has airconditioner in his build https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=0.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Thanks for that great explanation. For whatever reason, my '73 has a solid front apron - no vents unlike every other Super I've owned. There's no evidence of front end damage on this car - no beaten or pulled metal, or welda and seam sealer that don't look factory. I'll have to go thru the gallery to find AC pictures of how others install condensers.

Thumbs Up Please post up if you pursue this, I'd be interested to see an install.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I'll definitely post if I do. I have to take measurements to make sure the evaporator would fit and see if I can get ghia man to share what he did for an alternator.

Buggee, I'm trying to avoid having to install a mechanical compressor with all of the mess that means for the engine compartment and butchering of the dash.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I have seen these conversations on Facebook. He claims at 90 amp alternator.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
I have seen these conversations on Facebook. He claims at 90 amp alternator.

Yeah but looking at Baldersariccian's calculation of 1000 watts of continuous power when running, is a 90 amp alternator realistically enough?? That's why i'm hoping the FB dude comes clean w/pictures and an actual alternator model.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

He also posted in the slades beetle Facebook group he posted about it and was very coy about details. He claimed he had a Pertronix brand alternator. I wouldn't hold your breath about information from him.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I just saw his reply about the Pertronix alternator on the SB-Only page and that he uses an "RV" battery. No pics though.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I have considered giving it a go. Maybe we can compare notes.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:

Glad to. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on it.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Yeah but looking at Baldersariccian's calculation of 1000 watts of continuous power when running, is a 90 amp alternator realistically enough?? That's why i'm hoping the FB dude comes clean w/pictures and an actual alternator model.

I pulled that "1,000 watt" number from the Amazon advertisement for the a/c unit you're looking at (actually listed at 960 watt). I'm assuming that's for continuous running at max output (?).

For comparison on alternator sizes / outputs, on my 2014 VW TDI wagon (diesel), the stock alternator size is a 140 amp unit. I suspect this is largely to support the approx. 1,000 watt "auxiliary" electric heater all these cars have, which rests between the a/c evaporator and coolant heater core in the dash. These are used to aid with window defrosting and similar when engine is cold on winter days (i.e. since takes a lot longer for diesel engines to warm up, as compared to similar output gasoline engines). The car also has heated seats, although I'm not sure what the wattage draw is on those (?). But anyway, think that alternator is basically sized to handle electrical load from all those heaters, plus lights, and etc.

That a/c unit you're looking at draws roughly the same amount of power as that auxiliary heater I described above. Thus, would suspect a 140 amp alternator (or even a bit smaller / lower output) should be more than enough be enough to run that particular a/c unit, plus rest of the electrical stuff on your car.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I have a '74 Super, but I do have the vent for the condenser. So, we almost have the same car so we can look into it.

vamram wrote:
BenJAMin wrote:

Glad to. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on it.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gouku 12 V Universal A/C Kit System Reply with quote

I also see they are on aliexpress with direct shipping from China. Little information, but a little less of a pill to swallow.

I may try this out. https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2255800915198712.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: