Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No front shocks?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: No front shocks? Reply with quote

I searched no front shocks and all i get is people saying they don't have shocks in the front. Any reason for this? How does it drive with no shocks? Bouncy ?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

I tried it once. The first time I touched the brakes, the front beam slammed on the ground.
I think you will find that it is illegal to remove the shocks where you live. Pesky safety rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

Well I was not planning on removing mine but Ive been reading about peoples setups on lowering their cars and a lot say no shocks . Just wondering the reason for doing that.
Puppy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

I think it's usually when the beam is narrowed enough that shock mounts would interfere with the body. Easy option is removing the mounts and then not running shocks. Easy option isn't necessarily the right option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

Curb and show queens mostly I suspect although there is one guy here that did that on a street Buggy due to interference of the shock towers with the fiberglass body. Perhaps the front end it so light that the suspension does not move...

And yes it would not pass a safety inspection in my part of the world.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

yes on 4 inch narrowed beams or more with drop spindles, once you narrow torsions they become stiffer. you also have to have the torsion adjusters set correctly, not loosely aimed to sort of get it how high you want. I'm doubtfull Bruce above did any of that but I dunno

I have driven in some cars without shocks and while some were show worthy not all were and they rode pretty nice. Better than just adjusters cranked all the way down like we did in the early 90's...

my own oval didn't have shocks on a 2 inch beam. I added some. not much difference
flat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

Springs suspend the weight of the car, and shocks dampen the springs. You need both for suspension to work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

If you're going low and narrow, nothing rides as nice as a properly narrowed OG beam, with needle bearings on the ends, and correct shocks.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

I don't understand why VW people are the only ones in the world who think running without shocks is an option????? Car manufacturers and racers spend MILLIONS on shock development and selection to optimize ride and car control, yet I 've argued with guys who think I'm an idiot for saying they need shocks and just don't know how to set up a car.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: No front shocks? Reply with quote

Shocks are just one of many things that VW put on your car so that you would have something to remove and throw away in your spare time.

The Austin Mini Cooper is the only car that came from the factory without shocks to my recollection. Then again it didn't have springs either, just rubber blocks.

Back when I was a kid the popular belief among the street racing crowd was that if you removed the rear shocks on your car it gave you better weight transfer and traction off the lights. We used to kill ourselves laughing at those cars leaping and bounding around town. The joke was "He sure got his money's worth out of that bump!" as they would still be bouncing 2 blocks later! It was not uncommon to see daylight under the rear tires on a railway crossing!

Those cars must have been a total nightmare on the highway in a corner! Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: