Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires Reply with quote

I've been trying to find a thread that showed a way of running a three wire turn signal switch in an oval by using a '67 relay box. Anyone remember this posting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires Reply with quote

If your car is 12v it's WAY easier to just use a 'euro tow convertor' type box.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/US-To-Europe-Trailer-Li.../700598863

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused on the use of this adapter. Do I wire it backwards to work? I have the standard dual filiment tail lights and it looks like it spits the lines out for more than just two. I seem to remember a thread that had a relay box from a '67 to get around the use of the '57 multi-wire switch. Maybe the back-up lights were repurposed on the relay? Anybody? Buller?
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the use of this adapter. Do I wire it backwards to work? I have the standard dual filiment tail lights and it looks like it spits the lines out for more than just two. I seem to remember a thread that had a relay box from a '67 to get around the use of the '57 multi-wire switch. Maybe the back-up lights were repurposed on the relay? Anybody? Buller?

Don't get hung up on that 67' black box, while technically you could do it; it's not very straightforward- way more complicated than needed.

Yep, you just wire it backwards. I assume? I've used them before just not this exact one, and they do exactly what you're trying to accomplish.
This is probably a better example, two signals in for each tail light and one signal out.
--> I have used this exact one before, should do exactly what you want: blinks the brake light of the side that is energized while the brakes are applied.

https://www.amazon.com/CARROFIX-Powered-2-Wire-Con...mp;sr=8-20

Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes and turn signals on not enough wires Reply with quote

Thank you, Bub. I'm trying to retain an old steering wheel and hub that came with my '56, along with the later steering column and blinker set up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: