Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
steve244 wrote:
OK... how many gasoline powered cars have a 500 mile range?

My 2017 Grand Caravan does. My son's 2018 Honda Civic does. My '96 F150 did. My '91 F150 & '05 Chevy van had 600 mile ranges easily.

mmm I'd hate to bank on that. Most of those you'll be sweating the gauge at 400 miles.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
If you have to explain the joke, it's not funny.

I don’t get it.

Look, folks. People are buying these en masse. And will continue to do that, because they meet the commuter needs of most folks , even though they don’t for that four times a year 2000 mile trip around the country we will say we will do

Many of us might run an EV for commuting and a ICE for other functions. It’s not an all or none until at least 2055 when we are all dead anyway

Last edited by Abscate on Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
steve244 wrote:

That’s not the point. Most cars have a 3-400 mile range, but they can be refueled in roughly 10 minutes, damn near anywhere. Furthermore, their efficiency doesn’t start diminishing with each & every refueling, & extreme temperatures aren’t as likely to cause major changes in that efficiency. And you don’t have to spend $100k or more to get a ICE car to get that extended range.

A couple of my TDIs would get 1,200+ miles to the tank… and it still only took about ten minutes to fill it back up.

$46K will get you a Tesla model 3 with a range of 260 miles. Charging at a Tesla fast charger will get you back on the road in 45 minutes.

I don't advocate spending that much on any car, or going cross country in a Tesla. But the options are there. Now.

I think the argument is against mandates to only sell new EVs in 2035. Right?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
steve244 wrote:
If you have to explain the joke, it's not funny.

I don’t get it.

Who's on first?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:

Even before I watched this video, I pretty much already knew what he was going to say, with one HUGE exception. At 26:50, he shows how much it was costing him to recharge his batteries. I was SHOCKED by this. I had to re-watch that part three times! $77.46 to gain a little over 200 miles of range? Are you kidding me? Even at $4.00/gal, I could go the same distance in my Bug for about 1/4 the price! He spent $67.87 to go from 13.1 kWh to 106.5 kWh. That's nearly 73 cents per kWh!

Not only was the charger he used expensive, but you're in a take it or leave it situation.

One thing in the video that stood out to me was being "iced" by someone parking and just blocking the charger. Total dick move, just like blocking a gas pump while you buy 87 lotto tickets or parking in a handicap spot.

So if you plan on driving one of these out in the "wild" you REALLY need to plan your route. Even if they had 100 charge points in 1 location, you can be waiting a long fucking time to grab a charger.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
steve244 wrote:

That’s not the point. Most cars have a 3-400 mile range, but they can be refueled in roughly 10 minutes, damn near anywhere. Furthermore, their efficiency doesn’t start diminishing with each & every refueling, & extreme temperatures aren’t as likely to cause major changes in that efficiency. And you don’t have to spend $100k or more to get a ICE car to get that extended range.

A couple of my TDIs would get 1,200+ miles to the tank… and it still only took about ten minutes to fill it back up.

Just answering the question.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
steve244 wrote:

My 2017 Grand Caravan does. My son's 2018 Honda Civic does. My '96 F150 did. My '91 F150 & '05 Chevy van had 600 mile ranges easily.

mmm I'd hate to bank on that. Most of those you'll be sweating the gauge at 400 miles.

If you're challenging my math or odometer, you'll lose. The Chevy had a 30 gallon tank and I consistently got 22 mpg. The Caravan has a 21 gallon tank and I consistently get 26-28 mpg. The F150 had 2 tanks totaling 37 gallons and I consistently got 19 mpg. My son gets 42-45 mpg with a 12+ gallon tank. I do limit myself to 5 mph over the posted limit unless passing.
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

My take is like Abscate, nine out of ten miles driven on this blue spinning rock are short commutes. Its true ev's are not ideal long trip vehicles. This is not an issue if you don't use them for those odd one out of ten driven miles. One learns pretty quickly that 300 miles of range can be cut to 200 miles in some cases. You learn quickly to use a gas vehicle for long trips.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If you bury your Leaf in the ground ....

Do you need to use a leaf rake ????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Or is it a table leaf?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Many of us might run an EV for commuting and a ICE for other functions. It’s not an all or none until at least 2055 when we are all dead anyway

I agree. I HATE firing up my beautiful engine for anything less than 10 miles. If they weren't so expensive, having an EV for short trips and an ICE for long trips would be ideal. If only they would make a type of vehicle that used both electric AND gasoline engines, maybe some sort of hybrid, so the people who don't have $100k lying around could buy just one car, instead of having to buy two. Seriously, I don't understand why they are mandating pure EV's instead of continuing to develop hybrids. I know hybrids have their drawbacks, but so does everything else, and they would have been the perfect middle ground to ease everyone into the "new age". I feel pretty confident in saying that, if they had decided to mandate hybrid vehicles by 2035 instead of BEV's, there might not have been much, if any, backlash at all.

Hey! I once ran out of gas right across the street from the gas station, and used my starter motor to get me the rest of the way to the pump. Does that qualify my Beetle as a hybrid?

steve244 wrote:
. . . I think the argument is against mandates to only sell new EVs in 2035. Right?

Right. At least, for me it is.

These new EV's were the coolest things when they first came out a couple years ago. A little too heavy maybe, a little too expensive and a little too impractical certainly, but still pretty cool. Now, EV's are fast becoming yet another symbol for self-righteous, political heavy-handedness that will ultimately only benefit a small minority of the world's population at the expense of the majority. One more golden brick made of good intentions paving the pathway to Hell.

It's a damn shame.

Last edited by Floating VW on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time to leaf this subject lie.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

If I had the money I'd buy some righteousness
But I can only afford an old bug. Crying or Very sad
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

This just in

https://insideevs.com/news/624626/bmw-gen-6-battery-tech/

620 mile BMW. 2025.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
This just in

https://insideevs.com/news/624626/bmw-gen-6-battery-tech/

620 mile BMW. 2025.

Stop dropping these atomic bomb of facts into a Harbor Freight knife fight...

I’ve got an E83 on a hellacious short 5 mile commute which is awful for it. It’s getting about 16 mpg as it never warms up. It’s been paid for , for 12 years, so I’m not going to replace it with a new capital cost to save at most its annual fuel bill of $500. If it croaked in a big , unfixable way, it would turn into an EV.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

That article looks like an ad for future designs, and includes a good deal of speculation of industry support, future technology, and safe recycling and recovery.

It's written and published by the same person. Not exactly a citable source.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
That article looks like an ad for future designs, and includes a good deal of speculation of industry support, future technology, and safe recycling and recovery.

It's written and published by the same person. Not exactly a citable source.
You're right. And two years is a long time. But this is the trend from all manufacturers.

Also, solid state lithium batteries are on the horizon.

I don't understand the reluctance to embrace change when it's economical, more convenient, and performs better.

When the day comes I'll shed a crocodile tear or two about the loss of air-cooled ICEs, but embrace the future. Oh wait.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

It is just speculation. How about a price for the vehicle? Definitely not affordable for 99% of us if its a BMW.

BTW, if you look into NASA history, we were supposed to have men on Mars by 1986 at the latest.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

You'll have to settle for a used Leaf.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Seriously, IF I was looking for an EV, which I'm not since I live out in farm country, I would consider a Nimbus One and that's about it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 235

Jump to: