Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

I found the answer to my question.

http://type2.com/bartnik/thermo.htm
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
and since it causes problems it may be a prob on mine.

The TTS Thermo-Time Switches are pretty dependable, it is the TSII head temperature senders that give the problems.

The main thing I would do to the TTS, is on the electric socket I would file the two retaining lugs for the mating plug to a slight angle to facilitate removal. Years ago, when I worked at a ski area, getting these engine to start in the cold was a common problem as they tended to run rich at altitude and thus didn't need as much cold enrichment. Trying to get the plug off the cold start valve was a royal PITA on a cold engine with cold fingers. FWIW, I file all the sockets on my L-jet engines this way as it saves a lot of cursing.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Thanks Wild Things.. I put a new head temp switch in recently so I guess i will relax about the thermo time switch for now. getting that switch in was tricky, btw. hard to reach. I'd like to pull this motor out, but it's mater to an automatic and I don't really want to deal with pulling that out too.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:
Thanks Wild Things.. I put a new head temp switch in recently so I guess i will relax about the thermo time switch for now. getting that switch in was tricky, btw. hard to reach. I'd like to pull this motor out, but it's mater to an automatic and I don't really want to deal with pulling that out too.

It is easy to separate the engine from the automatic, easy than a manual for sure. The one thing you need to do is make 100% sure the torque converter does not separate from the tranny at any point in the removal and reinstall of the engine.

As for the TSII, I like to have a preinstalled grounded male 1/4" spade terminal so that if and when the TSII fails I can just plug the wire to the TSII sensor from the ECU into the spade and be back on the road. A spare TSII in the glove box is another way to go.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

good to know. had hoped to get her running before winter to do some errands. looks like i wont make it. may pull the motor to the shed so i'll have something to do while it's cold out.

any trick to ensuring the converter stays on the transmission? just be aware and push it back, or it there a trick?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

I don't know VW trans but with many be careful removing the engine from the trans, and use a strong wire or strap as soon as you have the clearance to keep the TC attached to the trans. Be sure to inspect the flex plate for cracks as soon as you can so if you have to source one it isn't at the last minute.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Yes wire the TC to the transmission. Also as you begin to separate the engine and tranny pry as necessary to get the TC clear of the flex plate. The guide on the TC is only 5/8" or so long so it doesn't take too much to separated the two, but if the pilot on TC is corroded in place it can take some force to separate the two.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It is easy to separate the engine from the automatic, easier than a manual for sure. The one thing you need to do is make 100% sure the torque converter does not separate from the tranny at any point in the removal and reinstall of the engine.

Got her running.. and actually runs pretty good. but, at low idle theres an irregular 'Ting Ting Ting' at #3. Sounds like a triangle from kindergarden music class. There's a bad oil leak from the cooler area. IDK if the noise is from low oil pressure / rod tapping cam? or if it's more serious. Hate to the remove fan housing off the bus for oil cooler service, if I'm just going to have to pull engine out anyway. So, leaning towards pulling the motor. (even tho there's a chance better pressure could resolve the Ting). Any idea what would cause that noise? runs smooth at higher rpm, and will almost idle. but that noise spooks me. Bus is on 15 degree down incline, and rear is lifted on jacks.. prob 25 degrees total. Maybe just starved of oil.. plus the leak.. lifter is failing?

getting to the point, what happens if the TC does get separated? big spill? Trans ruined ? just curious. Glad to hear it's relatively easy to separate the engine from the automatic.

Also, seems my alternator is not turning freely.. i think that's interfering with the idle.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Could be a tiny exhaust leak, pull the #3 plug wire from the cap as it idles, does the noise stop?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

75 Westy FI noob wrote:

getting to the point, what happens if the TC does get separated? big spill? Trans ruined ? just curious. Glad to hear it's relatively easy to separate the engine from the automatic.

Once the TC comes off the splines it is hard to get it back on and if the TC stays on the pump shaft you may well end up bending the pump shaft and engine removal may become much more complicated. If things aren't right when going back together you can also destroy the ATF pump on the front of the transaxle.

Quote:
Also, seems my alternator is not turning freely.. i think that's interfering with the idle.

The alternator bearings should be quiet when the engine is running and with the belt removed you should be able to spin the alternator easily with your hands.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

it would be worth checking the status of your lifters now that you have ran it for a little bit.

You can run it without the alt belt on of course, if you want to eliminate that from the scenario for now.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

True.. I haven’t adjusted the valves yet, and havent even looked under the left valve cover yet. I guess i’ll do the adjustment, pushrod seals.. and the oil cooler seals before the next restart. hopefully the oil cooler seals job is not a bear.

might have to rebuild that alt too, or replace if available.

Meanwhile, the rust isn’t sleeping. ive sprayed WD40 on the exterior here and there to slow it down. Gonna need a lot of it for underneath.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Thanks Wild …
Ive never separated an engine from an auto trans before .
Hopefully the Bentley man has some details.

Better yet, with better pressure and valve adj the noise will go away.

She’s leaking trns fluid too btw. Seems to be at the pan. Maybe from 2500 rpms in park?
75 Westy FI noob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how to remove the injectors 1975 bus fi Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
75 Westy FI noob wrote:

It is easy to separate the engine from the automatic, easy than a manual for sure. The one thing you need to do is make 100% sure the torque converter does not separate from the tranny at any point in the removal and reinstall of the engine.

As for the TSII, I like to have a preinstalled grounded male 1/4" spade terminal so that if and when the TSII fails I can just plug the wire to the TSII sensor from the ECU into the spade and be back on the road. A spare TSII in the glove box is another way to go.

Circling back to these sensors… i removed the fan shroud to replace all the seals behind it… and was treated to a great new view. One thing I found is that i have 2 of the thermo switches under the manifold. I guess the original went bad, and they just added a new one without removing the old one. The placement of the new one is what interferes w the dizzy adjustment bc it boinks the capacitor.

Anyway, I finally found the right spot and it’s running now. But that solved the mystery of ‘why cant i move my distributor like i need to.” Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: