Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Hi All,
Been trying to determine what hardware I need to mount a middle captains seat in my(new to me) Syncro.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have only one seat but it is the same style pictured. And it came with what I believe are a set of floor rails that came from a tintop (which I believe just means they're longer than the set for a full camper), I can of course cut them to length or drill new holes in the rails as needed.

My 1986 US-market syncro did not have the rails from the factory, or they were removed when the original floor was cut out and replaced with a loose piece of plywood (covered with a rubber floor mat...) this means it might be a little easier for me to add the rails as I can pull the loose floor and cut it to fit later around the new installed rails.

I'm aware from doing a whole pile of searches through old posts that there are supposed to be threaded holes that are plugged under the van. I've had some difficulty finding these though...

I see one that I think *might* be one the mounts, but can't find other unused threaded provisions under the van in those areas. My van was modified by the previous owners and does have what appear to be aftermarket upgraded brake lines and coolant lines that may have been slightly rerouted vs their factory locations, so I wonder if a fastener may be hiding where it is difficult to see... Does anyone have a full camper have these installed? Hoping to find out where these are...

Also what hardware is used? My seat came without any hardware, and I don't know what to use to secure the rails, or to secure the seat after it is slid into place. I found a picture from a site that sold used parts. But there is no listing for that part anymore as I'm assuming they ran out of old stock and pulled the item. I'll include it to illustrate what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any advice to offer on this topic? Laughing

Thanks in advance!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

You can install the floor rails in a camper. No problem.

I cut the rails to fit in my westy. The threaded holes for the bolts are usually filled by a black plastic ‘bolt’. They have been there on every Vanagon I have seen.

I think I may have the hardware you need if you cannot locate any.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Thanks Dobryan

I’m assuming each rail is held in by at least 2 or more bolts. I didn’t see any black plastic faux bolts but I will take a closer look - I’m assuming there should be a bolt location to hold the rail down near the sliding door. I may have to get it up in the air a little to facilitate easier viewing of the undercarriage. I fit but it’s tight enough i can’t use a creeper or I won’t fit. A little room would go a long way.

And if you do have the hardware available that would be awesome. I’d happily take you up on that PM me if you find that you have some you could part with and we can work out a deal.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

I have all the hardware too that you'd be welcome to, unfortunately I'm two provinces away from my van parts and won't be near them till spring. Hopefully dobryan has everything you need!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

The plastic bolts/screws are accessed from the top of the floor. Not sure if you are looking from the top or bottom.

The Western Syncro build
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Dobryan,
I didn't know they were accessed from the top - Thanks for the info. I'll PM you to ask about the hardware you may have available too. I'll look from the top in next day or two when I might find some small amount of time to do so.

Previous owner had installed some stick-on dynamat style sound insulation, I may have to cut and scrape that up to find those.

I'd assumed that the work was from underneath since someone had said they drilled these out through the flooring , if they come out from above what would have been drilled out??? Confused Maybe I'd read that incorrectly.

Leecat - I appreciate that. Hoping to have these installed sooner than later honestly... The addition of a new baby this last month required some creative thinking when it came to adding this fifth seat Cool . I feel lucky to have found one of these seats. As apparently they are more rare than hen's teeth. And it will allow use of the van.

Hoping this seat allows us to use it for all 5 of us for some time. My kids are still pretty young. The van isn't a daily driver but it's nice to have it as an option as it's our largest car, and it is obviously spacious with odd amenities (compared to "normal cars") like a kitchen etc. It's nice to use it for short 1-day road trips not just camping. It swallows an overflowing Costco cart much better than my Nissan Leaf. Can't beat hopping in a van with a fridge filled with kids snacks or an ice cream after a bike ride or hike.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Shouldn't be any drilling whatsoever - the rails bolt in and out in about two minutes from the top, it's a pretty good system. I'm sure it would be plain as day for you if someone hadn't slapped down a bunch of sticky gunk on top.

I *think* there are only 3 bolts per rail, but I could be wrong - been a while since I stripped middle seats out.

Will be super nice to have for sure - best of luck with it!!

As an afterthought, how do you open the fridge door with two seats in there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

I shamelessly borrowed a pic from elsewhere. I only have a single middle captains seat. You are correct though I’m told with two seats the fridge won’t open. I was too lazy to go out and take a picture in my garage. Sorry for any confusion. I’ll update the thread with pics and info once installed to serve as a reference should anyone else look for this info.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

The seat and rail for the camper is basically the same as the passenger vans had.

Part info:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1986-65/8/883-128005/

#29 rail to body bolt: N0102524 - metric M10x20 mm 8.8 grade
#30 seat to rail securing Z-shaped retaining piece: 253 883 867
#31 square washer: 253 883 869
#32 seat to rail securong bolt washer: N01152527 - metric A8.4X16X1.6 mm
#33 seat to rail securing bolt: N01023820 - metric M8x15 mm 8.8 grade
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Zsz - thanks for the info.
The drawing and part numbers helps significantly - I’ll dive through these and see if there is availability still. I wasn’t so worried about the bolts as those could be measured and cut to size. Would be extremely odd if those weren’t some type of standard thread.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

veedubzzz wrote:
Zsz - thanks for the info.
The drawing and part numbers helps significantly - I’ll dive through these and see if there is availability still. I wasn’t so worried about the bolts as those could be measured and cut to size. Would be extremely odd if those weren’t some type of standard thread.

No probs!

The bolts are super standard together with the round washers - at least here in europe
You can use standard M10 fender washers ground to size instad of the square washers.
The Z shaped retaining pieces can be made or bought second hand - you need only 4. Somewhere I have measurements for them, but I have to dig through my photos, so maybe tomorrow I can share it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

I found my stash. Veedubzzz and I are going to split them. That will be enough for what he needs and I can still mount the tracks in another Vanagon some time in the future.

The Western Syncro build
veedubzzz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

Thanks go out to Dobryan. Appreciate that he is getting me set up with what I need.

For those who may dig up this thread in the future - it seems that there may be some availability of parts from VW classic parts - the downside is that they don't seem to offer service to certain countries (shipping not available to the US sadly for example)

Although right on their page there is the verbiage that says "Every Volkswagen dealer in the world can supply items from the Volkswagen Classic Parts product range." I'll try to call the local one in my city to see if that claim holds true maybe these parts are not actually unobtanium as I initially thought...

I did find some of these parts available across the globe on eBay through international resellers who are undoubtedly just sourcing from VW classic and posting them for resale for an added markup. Although a lot of them only had a single part available which wouldn't be enough to get the job done anyways... YMMV. I did not have a chance yet to remove my floor and look for the mount locations - I trust they are there, but I've had little free time with my 3 kids ranging from ~3 weeks to 4 years old. I'll find time "soon" to do so and update when I can.

Appreciate all the help from everyone! Great community we have on here Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

And you can take the bolts to a good hardware store to size for additional bolts. Just get the best grade they have, likely 12.9.

The Western Syncro build
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

You can see the bolts from underneath. They go through flanges on the frame. So just look at the top of the frame in the general area front to back where the seat should sit. There will be welded nuts.
jvlr921
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

The threaded holes for the bolts are usually filled by a black plastic ‘bolt’. They have been there on every Vanagon I have seen.

I seem to have bought the only Vanagon in the world that does not have these threaded holes. Of course, only discovered this after purchasing a row of seats and some rails. Any suggestion on how to mount the rails to the floor in a safe manner?

Thx Very Happy
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

jvlr921 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

The threaded holes for the bolts are usually filled by a black plastic ‘bolt’. They have been there on every Vanagon I have seen.

I seem to have bought the only Vanagon in the world that does not have these threaded holes. Of course, only discovered this after purchasing a row of seats and some rails. Any suggestion on how to mount the rails to the floor in a safe manner?

Thx Very Happy

Panel vans did not have those welded in nut plates that is sure. They were standard on passenger vans. Not sure about Weekenders and Westfalias, but maybe they were standard only on late westfalias and not on early ones.

You can drill the holes, put a big (inch by inch), thick spreader plate and/or washer below the floor and use standard nuts and bolts. You can glue/weld them in place if you want to remove the rail relatively frequently.
IIRC the holes are marked on the floor panel. At least they are on late panel vans.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

jvlr921 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Thx Very Happy

Oh.... they should be there.
Crawl under and look up, you will see captive nuts with threads sticking out.

You will need to remove your camper floor, if not used they were covered over with plywood.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jvlr921
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Panel vans did not have those welded in nut plates that is sure. They were standard on passenger vans. Not sure about Weekenders and Westfalias, but maybe they were standard only on late westfalias and not on early ones.

You can drill the holes, put a big (inch by inch), thick spreader plate and/or washer below the floor and use standard nuts and bolts. You can glue/weld them in place if you want to remove the rail relatively frequently.
IIRC the holes are marked on the floor panel. At least they are on late panel vans.

Could be that... A large spreader plate underneath and on top of the floor pan might be the way to go indeed.

djkeev wrote:
Oh.... they are there.

You will need to remove your camper floor, if not used they were covered over with plywood.

Hoped so... However, removed everything up until the steel floor pan and no holes whatsoever.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Hardware & Mount locations Reply with quote

jvlr921 wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

Could be that... A large spreader plate underneath and on top of the floor pan might be the way to go indeed.

djkeev wrote:
Oh.... they should be there.

Hoped so... However, removed everything up until the steel floor pan and no holes whatsoever.

Pictures of your Vans floor Please

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: