Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel color
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Steering wheel color Reply with quote

Hey gang.

I just finished painting the steering column on my 11/55 sedan beige, which was the original color. Should the steering wheel match? What about the other knobs and levers?

Thanks for any input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

I painted my steering column, gear shift, e-brake handle and my fuel tap lever all the same ivory. My steering wheel (batwing) is damn near the same color also.
The knobs are likely ivory if you don't have a standard.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

All interior componets should match your beige color. Dash knobs would be ivory.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

belairman wrote:
All interior componets should match your beige color. Dash knobs would be ivory.

Not quite.
My original interior, 8/55, Nile beige.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Here is a pic of Bill Bowmans unrestored 55 (Martha)

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
belairman wrote:

Not quite.
My original interior, 8/55, Nile beige.

every 56 bug wheel that I have been sent to restore, the orig color on it has been beige not ivory. I have yet come across an ivory one for 56 or 57 in 22 years of restoring wheels.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

... according to JT Garwood,,, for all late model '55s :

steering column, gear lever, hand brake lever = L75 paint code, beige on deluxe cars.

Steering wheel, tuning switch case, horn button case = 567 ivory, on deluxe...

shift-heat knob, door handle knobs and escutcheons, dash knobs, ash tray knobs, hand brake button = 011 ivory plastic on deluxe - same as 567, ivory paint.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Crazy_j2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I know this post is for 57 down beetles but I have a question about my 59. I am trying to find the correct color for the steering column off of the paint that is still on the original column. It seems to match the L75 Beige but I can't find anyone who has had that color on a beetle after 57. Is it possible that VW put some remaining 57 column's on the 58 and early 59 models with that color on them? I am still waiting for the Birth Certificate from VW but I just thought I would ask. Thanks for any input in advance!

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... according to JT Garwood,,, for all late model '55s :......

But, there are no "late model '55's", just like there are no '57 big window bugs.

The '55 model year went from January '55 to August '55, then it switched to the '56 model year in August '55, so that persons 8/55 bug above is a '56.

August '55 was when Volkswagen finally switched to the automotive model year standard of Aug the year prior to the model year to August of the current model year. So August '55- August '56 is the '56 model year.

I know you know this, I've seen the VW's you've owned and do own. It's just confusing for newbies.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Keith

Mr Zen is merely using Garwoods term. Garwood delineated between carry over 54 models produced until March/April sold in the U.S. that still has Euro features and those sold the remainder of the 55 production year ending shortly after the the start of August that had bullets This period gets referred to by several terms that's Garwoods I know that because I read the book. Others that havent won't or just don't care whatever. It's really not a big deal.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Keith

Mr Zen is merely using Garwoods term. Garwood delineated between carry over 54 models produced until March/April sold in the U.S. that still has Euro features and those sold the remainder of the 55 production year ending shortly after the the start of August that had bullets This period gets referred to by several terms that's Garwoods I know that because I read the book. Others that havent won't or just don't care whatever. It's really not a big deal.

I know Zen is using Garwoods terminology, he quoted him. I was clarifying it in case someone who doesn't know sees the thread. So many times the question of '55/'56 model year and people referring to a '57 "big window" or the infamous "factory oval dashed big window" that we know was never actually produced come up.

Garwoods terminology just further confuses the situation for newbies. We know he means semaphore and bullet '55's. "Late '55 sounds like anything after August '55 and we know those are actually '56's.

'55 was a screwy enough year to begin with for Bugs with eggs, hearts and snowflakes and whatnot and then added to that is the fact that VW chose that year to switch production dates.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... according to JT Garwood,,, for all late model '55s :......

But, there are no "late model '55's", just like there are no '57 big window bugs.

The '55 model year went from January '55 to August '55, then it switched to the '56 model year in August '55, so that persons 8/55 bug above is a '56.

August '55 was when Volkswagen finally switched to the automotive model year standard of Aug the year prior to the model year to August of the current model year. So August '55- August '56 is the '56 model year.

I know you know this, I've seen the VW's you've owned and do own. It's just confusing for newbies.

oh sorry, let me explain... TO ME and maybe, only me... early American market 1955s have semaphores and sometime in early April, all American version 1955s ceased having semaphores and Euro bumpers... went to 1956 type over riders and bullet front fenders...

... so, with that stated, now you know my definition... if you still disagree with my reasoning, (laugh), then you disagree... that doesn't change anything, other than we disagree...

... Newbies, Please appreciate Keith's kindness to you... I think it's great to have such consideration... sorry, don't mean to confuse anyone... For now, adhere to Keith's logic and when you graduate, remember my logic and definition...

"Oval-teen" is the coolest user name.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

The 1956-57 steering wheel is a slightly lighter shade of beige than the 1954-55 wheel.

I placed unrestored Nov '54 and June '56 wheels side-by-side, as shown here:

The flash photo (attached) shows the color difference better than with natural light.
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

So L75 is Beige, and L275 is light beige, right? That's how Wolfsburg West has them listed. So is L275 correct for all interior parts on a '53 oval? Or was the steering wheel a different color from the other interior parts? I got a fully restored steering wheel from Koch's, and it's an ivory color.
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

Crazy_j2 wrote:
Hey guys,
I know this post is for 57 down beetles but I have a question about my 59. I am trying to find the correct color for the steering column off of the paint that is still on the original column. It seems to match the L75 Beige but I can't find anyone who has had that color on a beetle after 57. Is it possible that VW put some remaining 57 column's on the 58 and early 59 models with that color on them? I am still waiting for the Birth Certificate from VW but I just thought I would ask. Thanks for any input in advance!

looks a lot like l471 stonebeige colour that is known for 58+59 accessories. however, there were two different hues of stonebeige the slighter shade being the right thing i.e. a sort of dark ivory, the darker being more the greige type and fairly grabby looking. glasurit is offering either.
kaieric Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: steering wheel color Reply with quote

jays58s wrote:
So L75 is Beige, and L275 is light beige, right? That's how Wolfsburg West has them listed. So is L275 correct for all interior parts on a '53 oval? Or was the steering wheel a different color from the other interior parts? I got a fully restored steering wheel from Koch's, and it's an ivory color.

i came across some confusion about denomination of l75 and l275 probably due to translation issues. l75 is named HELLBEIGE and can best be translated with BRIGHT BEIGE whereas l275 LICHTBEIGE would correspond to LIGHT BEIGE.
according to glasurit colour mixing formulas, l75 bright beige should be a slightly brighter shade

than l275 light beige

hope this can clear up some misunderstanding.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: