Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Winnebago Vista
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohtex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to the group and have a question I hope to find a answer to.
I am looking at a 2002 VW Vista class C motorhome. It has been retrofitted from a automatic trans to a standard trans which was not available at time of purchase. The problem arises from this is there is a "check engine light" for "communication error". Seller indicates this is because the auto trans is not there to be read. Also as I understand it, the vehicle will not pass inspection, in counties where it is required, due to the check engine light ( I have not confirmed this). Does anyone know of a work around for this rather than reinstalling the auto trans (it comes with the deal). Thanks for your input.

Bill Confused
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765099

I think eurotec works out of Westy motorwerks here in Asheville. Pm him, or give them a call.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Vista myself. Rare beast! I've had mine for 10 years and have only seen one other Vista on the road ever. And you found one with a manual trans?! One of a kind there! Just curious what's the mileage and asking price?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

dborell wrote:
I have a 2002 Vista myself. Rare beast! I've had mine for 10 years and have only seen one other Vista on the road ever. And you found one with a manual trans?! One of a kind there! Just curious what's the mileage and asking price?

How heavy is that thing? Couldn't imagine trying to push it with the VR6 and auto trans. Looks awesome though.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and this one is selling (maybe old) for less than most 2002 EVC go for.
https://www.motorhomes503.com/2002-winnebago-vista-21b.html
Found it
GCWR=9275
GVWR=7275
https://www.scribd.com/document/336329777/2004-vis...from_embed
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Seems like this would be an ideal candidate for a 2.5L AXG TDI conversion set. ECU tune. ~180hp, gobs of torque and excellent efficiency and durability.
dborell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

The VR6 pulls it surprisingly well. Going up grades I put the trans in 3rd and go at 65 MPH. Otherwise the trans will shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th. Keeps up with traffic except the steepest of grades.
wohtex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

dborell I think it has a little over 100K on it and the asking price is 10K and it comes with the removed auto trans. I did find a post where a guy has developed a plug in bypass of the trans signal and is in the process of trying to market it. Will keep an eye on it. Seller says it will not pass inspection here in Texas (if required) because the check engine light is on. I'm 78 don't need anything fast.

Bill
wohtex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

just rechecked it's not quit 62000 miles>

Bill
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

If your can get it passed emissions that's a good deal on the surface. Your could sell the auto and recoup part of the price.
eurovanpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Seems like this would be an ideal candidate for a 2.5L AXG TDI conversion set. ECU tune. ~180hp, gobs of torque and excellent efficiency and durability.

Hi Rob, your post tempts me to to do a swap Smile with a front clip but AXGs are not common like the other engines. I guess the other option is the normal 2.5TDI engines which can could be tuned to 180HP from what I read. Looks like the AXGs come with larger intake and exhaust among other things and the N75 which I need to read about on what it does.

The ACU I have is nice and simple and has climbed mountains no issues. Hard to decide.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

seems like you need to just get the box\\https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

wohtex wrote:
dborell I think it has a little over 100K on it and the asking price is 10K and it comes with the removed auto trans. I did find a post where a guy has developed a plug in bypass of the trans signal and is in the process of trying to market it. Will keep an eye on it. Seller says it will not pass inspection here in Texas (if required) because the check engine light is on. I'm 78 don't need anything fast.

Bill

That guy is me. Wink I have engineered a "black box" that the auto transmission wire harness plugs into. You'll need the transmission control module installed along with the wire harness that used to run to the transmission. The box emulates the electrical components in the transmission to eliminate the check engine light. You install it, clear codes and no more CEL.

Message me here if you're interested.

Dean

57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Looked at a Vista a few weeks ago in central Florida. It was a 96 with the straight 5 cyl engine and low mileage. Never heard one of these engines run so smooth! Camper had lots of room. The thing that really bugged me was he did a bad job of spraying painted the rear part a tan color and the nose was white!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

57 Zwitter? wrote:
The thing that really bugged me was he did a bad job of spraying painted the rear part a tan color and the nose was white!

It might have been white originally, the fiberglass panels on these - and in fact many older RV's - are known to oxidize and yellow whereas the paint on the cab wouldn't have. If there is spray paint on the camper body, it is probably that an owner tried to make a repair and tried to match the color of the paint to the then already oxidized body color and ultimately just made things more messy looking. Depending on how badly sun-baked the box is, there are products to remove the yellowing and re-seal the panels to bring back the white color.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JavaJoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

I had a 2002 Itasca Sunstar, which is the twin to the Winnebago Vista. We (family of 4) drove it across the country both ways (Maryland to Key West and to Nova Scotia, and Maryland to Seattle and back). It ran great and easily cruised 70 on the Interstate. The only issue was heading west in Idaho (near Craters of the Moon) when we hit like 40 Mph head winds and couldn’t go over 50.

What’s funny is that I always thought the engine was pretty strong for the RV, and it must be great in a smaller car. Now I own a Eurovan MV with the same VR6 and I am surprised that the Eurovan doesn’t feel much faster than the Sunstar/Vista.

We loved our Sunstar and only sold it because our kids outgrew their sleeping spaces.

MrPulldown wrote:
dborell wrote:

How heavy is that thing? Couldn't imagine trying to push it with the VR6 and auto trans. Looks awesome though.

and this one is selling (maybe old) for less than most 2002 EVC go for.
https://www.motorhomes503.com/2002-winnebago-vista-21b.html
Found it
GCWR=9275
GVWR=7275
https://www.scribd.com/document/336329777/2004-vis...from_embed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: