Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
On of the EU countries is set to BAN Ev's now, because of not enough juice, lol

I don't believe this is in the cards for North America, we'll play this out
And lead by failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Why is it that so few people understand this concept?

Recently I found myself asking myself.. Myself, did commuter ICE peak in the mid 80s with Honda's HF? Of which four weigh as much as each one of the many SUV parked outside.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
That article looks like an ad for future designs, and includes a good deal of speculation of industry support, future technology, and safe recycling and recovery.

It's written and published by the same person. Not exactly a citable source.

Also, I wonder how many people got duped by that article's clever use of the ol' bait-and-switch. The tagline claims, ". . . 30% faster charging, and 60% less CO2 in production, the next-generation of battery looks bright."

BMW has discovered a way to make li-ion batteries charge 30% faster and produce 60% less CO2 than everybody else?

Nope.

If you read the rest of the article, you discover that this was only comparing the BMW 5th generation battery to the new BMW 6th generation battery. BMW has not developed some revolutionary new technology to make ALL li-ion batteries better, stronger and faster. They've only improved their own battery packs, which were pretty shitty, apparently.

Their claims of 620 miles of range are impressive, though. I'm curious how much THAT battery must weigh in at!
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
steve244 wrote:

I don't understand the reluctance to embrace change when it's economical, more convenient, and performs better.

The reluctance is, will these electric cars actually reduce pollution? . . .

. . . I bet that free electricity perk at work goes away in the future. It is cool you get that and your Leaf is a great commuter car for someone that commutes in some of the worst traffic in the nation.

Spot on, Xevin (by the way, that was an interesting remake of a timeless classic).

I think I'm beginning to understand the pro-EV point of view a little better. Some people belong to that infuriating and insufferable species known as "optimists". If one were to believe that in the next 10 to 15 years, the world is going to get nearly 100% of its power from solar, wind and hydrogen, and that all the manufacturers will get their raw materials from recycling instead of digging holes in the earth, and that the government will do it's best to run the show at peak competence and efficiency, then of course, only the most ignorant, backwards arsehole would refuse to switch to an EV. And who knows, I suppose some of that is technically possible.

But the rest of us (with a few exceptions) belong to that other, even more infuriating and insufferable group known as "pragmatists". We look back at all the times we were promised jet packs, hover boards and colonies on the moon, but instead we got high fructose corn syrup, mountains of cheap crap made in China, shitty ethanol in our fuel, and a government-run space program that hasn't put a man on the moon since 1972. So when some slick politician from California says he wants to take away all our nasty and dirty cars and replace them with something he says is "better for the environment", we tend not to believe he has our best interests at heart.
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
But the rest of us (with a few exceptions) belong to that other, even more infuriating and insufferable group known as "pragmatists". We look back at all the times we were promised jet packs, hover boards and colonies on the moon, but instead we got high fructose corn syrup, mountains of cheap crap made in China, shitty ethanol in our fuel, and a government-run space program that hasn't put a man on the moon since 1972. So when some slick politician from California says he wants to take away all our nasty and dirty cars and replace them with something he says is "better for the environment", we tend not to believe he has our best interests at heart.

This where distrust in government has been proven correct in our lifetimes.

Any person who studies history knows the absolute horrors to which the government can devolve. We seem to be heading further down that path than ever before in U.S. history. We are deeper into the lies than we ever have been to the point that most people today are lying in some manner to survive.

The children of today think that they have discovered decentralization as a solution...but disregard the greatest source of governmental decentralization, the U.S. Constitution. We change the meaning of words and employ the thinnest of justification to twist the true meaning of the Constitution to fit the agendas of the day. Meanwhile, we are blind to the fact that true prosperity would return the most good to everyone if we returned to a minimal and truly Constitutional government.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

You know the difference between an optimist and a pessimist don't you? A pessimist is just an optimist that has heard that one before.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
It is just speculation. How about a price for the vehicle? Definitely not affordable for 99% of us if its a BMW.

BTW, if you look into NASA history, we were supposed to have men on Mars by 1986 at the latest.

We decided to spend Billions on smart pebbles and lasers to shoot down non existent Soviet icbms instead, neither of which worked.

And E85 was going to save us from Greenhouse gases. I’ve never seen an E85 pump. I wonder why that didn’t catch on?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

And now states need to figure out how to protect Electricity sub stations.

2 attacked in North Carolina and apparently in Oregon and Washington too.

https://www.koin.com/news/oregon/memo-oregon-washington-substations-intentionally-attacked/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Steve24 wrote:

In the near future, electric cars will be the grid's backup. Owners will get discounts to charge at offpeak hours and sell back to the grid at a premium at peak hours. Put that car to work as it sits in your garage.

OK, this is as pie in the sky as it gets. Most solar owners sell back power at a fraction of the cost they buy it at. If you think a power company is going to sell you cheap power at night, then buy it right back from you during the day AT A PREMIUM, you are delusional. The power company would be out of business in a week.

The trick for power companies is to manage the amount of overproduction during morning/noon, and then start producing enough when power demands peak afternoon to about 8pm and still turn a profit.

If the grid became too overburdened and needed to use power from your Tesla you forgot to unplug before they just automatically drained your battery in the guise of public need, they wouldn't pay delivery rates. The politicians would see to that.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
On of the EU countries is set to BAN Ev's now, because of not enough juice, lol

to clarify - switzerland, which is in europe but not in the eu, is proposing to limit ev use to strictly necessary journeys to help reduce the risk of power blackouts this winter. so not a ban and not an eu country

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
It is just speculation. How about a price for the vehicle? Definitely not affordable for 99% of us if its a BMW.

BTW, if you look into NASA history, we were supposed to have men on Mars by 1986 at the latest.

We decided to spend Billions on smart pebbles and lasers to shoot down non existent Soviet icbms instead, neither of which worked.

And E85 was going to save us from Greenhouse gases. I’ve never seen an E85 pump. I wonder why that didn’t catch on?

In Illnoise you can find the occasional E85 pump. What's funny is the price is only around 10-15% less than regular grade. Since fuel economy with E85 is only about 2/3 of regular gas at best, where is the economy? I tried explaining this to a woman a few years back who was using E85 because it was "cheaper". When she finally understood, her face just dropped. What a joke!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
If you read the rest of the article, you discover that this was only comparing the BMW 5th generation battery to the new BMW 6th generation battery.

Like the company's 150 oz. laundry detergent stated 50% MORE and in the small print stated compared to the 100 oz. size. I was so embarrassed for our company, but other companies did exactly the same !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Steve24 wrote:

In the near future, electric cars will be the grid's backup. Owners will get discounts to charge at offpeak hours and sell back to the grid at a premium at peak hours. Put that car to work as it sits in your garage.

OK, this is as pie in the sky as it gets.

^^^This!^^^

From my very limited knowledge of electrical systems, your E-car is be equipped to convert AC to DC to charge your batteries but that equipment WILL NOT convert DC back to AC! That takes an inverter mounted in your home and some rewiring of your car to bypass the present charging system. This will not be cheap and all to buy power at full market value and sell it back at a discount plus all your efficiency losses? It is not going to be the other way around, you can take that to the bank!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Eaton & BMW are already repurposing used EV batteries to store off peak charging to power sports arenas or store power generated by solar & wind farms.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/amp/old-electr...73018.html

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

This has turned into great conversation, young people listen up.
99+ times out of 100 , when the government gets involved with a better idea than a professional/ expert in the private sector politicians get involved ONLY to line their pockets and impose regulations.
Imho, government experts finish last in their class and can't cut it in the private sector.

proud ev owners, for starters, take a moment and see how lithium is harvested for your ev batteries.
In the beginning of the oil boom it was messy and terrible for the environment, look at strides petroleum scientists have made to maximize petroleum products.
Not saying they are perfect, but for now it's the best we have, the last point here,
Why is it we haven't been captured every last bit of NATURAL GAS? I suspect there's regulation that is politically motivated to BURN IT OFF.
political motivation.
Run when you hear, I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND HERE TO HELP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Eaton & BMW are already repurposing used EV batteries to store off peak charging to power sports arenas or store power generated by solar & wind farms.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/amp/old-electr...73018.html

This ^ damn sure wasn't a politicians idea.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
This has turned into great conversation, young people listen up.
99+ times out of 100 , when the government gets involved with a better idea than a professional/ expert in the private sector politicians get involved ONLY to line their pockets and impose regulations.
Imho, government experts finish last in their class and can't cut it in the private sector.

proud ev owners, for starters, take a moment and see how lithium is harvested for your ev batteries.
In the beginning of the oil boom it was messy and terrible for the environment, look at strides petroleum scientists have made to maximize petroleum products.
Not saying they are perfect, but for now it's the best we have, the last point here,
Why is it we haven't been captured every last bit of NATURAL GAS? I suspect there's regulation that is politically motivated to BURN IT OFF.
political motivation.
Run when you hear, I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND HERE TO HELP.

Sounds like the IRS?
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-...y-security

Text from article:

Quote:
The global energy crisis has triggered unprecedented momentum behind renewables, with the world set to add as much renewable power in the next 5 years as it did in the past 20

Quote:
Utility-scale solar PV and onshore wind are the cheapest options for new electricity generation in a significant majority of countries worldwide. Global solar PV capacity is set to almost triple over the 2022-2027 period, surpassing coal and becoming the largest source of power capacity in the world.

hopefully the estimated rate of increase is on the low side. EV's will be emitting less and less CO2 as time goes on.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
https://www.iea.org/news/renewable-power-s-growth-...y-security

Text from article:

Quote:
The global energy crisis has triggered unprecedented momentum behind renewables, with the world set to add as much renewable power in the next 5 years as it did in the past 20

Quote:
Utility-scale solar PV and onshore wind are the cheapest options for new electricity generation in a significant majority of countries worldwide. Global solar PV capacity is set to almost triple over the 2022-2027 period, surpassing coal and becoming the largest source of power capacity in the world.

hopefully the estimated rate of increase is on the low side. EV's will be emitting less and less CO2 as time goes on.

Yeah, because people that are pushing an agenda/idea always estimate on the LOW end when they publish information for public distribution.

One of the major, major problems with EV's is not when you use the energy.. it's not even so much the falsehood of getting the power from solar or wind (because so little of our grid is actually supported by green energy), the reason EVs are bad is the same problem man has had since the discovery of the electron:

STORAGE!

Battery tech has definitely moved forward, but herein lies the problem: batteries need rarer earth metals that require massive amount of mining to procure the needed ore, usually environmentally damaging chemicals to extract the desired metal through leaching, and then you are left with an end product that is a toxic waste material.

EV tech is cool, but don't kid yourself. It is NOT environmentally friendly. It is literally a toxic waste problem in every driveway.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I had no idea we have a global energy shortage.. and we're just learning this..gov.expert.

Mining rare earth metals..Shhh... dirty little secret.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 231, 232, 233  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 233

Jump to: