Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beam rub
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slgbg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Beam rub Reply with quote

Hi, I recently picked up a ‘64 Baja bug and I’m working through the myriad of problems.. One of them being the front tires rub the beam really badly. I’ve been searching for info and can’t find a solution for my particular case, most of the info seems to be about lowered cars, drop spindles and narrow beams…
My beam is 39.5” wide, I don’t know anything else other than my steering rack is SACO.
Can anyone help with a solution here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slgbg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

P.s I’m working my way through the rats nest you see there! Shocked
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

Wright and SACO used to have rack stops which were really just threaded sleeves welded to plates, which bolted to the bottom of the rack. You could adjust the screws to change how much the tie rod flag sticking out of the bottom could travel.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

These are steering stops on a Latest Rage rack and pinion.
They are the socket head bolts(Allen head) at each end by the boots. You adjust bolts out so that they contact the center piece tie rod end attach to.
SACO steering stops bolted on using the bolt holding lower plate on rack.
If you can fabricate, they would be simple to make.

The angle the rack mount is welded to beam, you are probably getting a lot of toe change (bump steer). Rack mount should be were pinion (part were steering shaft attaches) is about 15 degrees pointing up.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Slgbg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
These are steering stops on a Latest Rage rack and pinion.
They are the socket head bolts(Allen head) at each end by the boots. You adjust bolts out so that they contact the center piece tie rod end attach to.
SACO steering stops bolted on using the bolt holding lower plate on rack.
If you can fabricate, they would be simple to make.

The angle the rack mount is welded to beam, you are probably getting a lot of toe change (bump steer). Rack mount should be were pinion (part were steering shaft attaches) is about 15 degrees pointing up.

So my rack is angled down about 20* and you’re saying it should be point up 15*?
Not sure I understand how to fab the stops for the Saco.. I think I’m probably handy enough with tools if I can understand where they need to go and what they’d look like. Oddly enough I can’t find any examples on the internet
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

Ok I finally able to get back to you.
Here a few pictures of the stops on a rack & pinion. These are welded on were the SACO rack stops are bolted on using the lower plate mounting bolts.
Having these you can adjust them to keep tires from rubbing on chassis.

For angle of rack mount this is on a Chenowth chassis that has frame work above steering shaft that only aiiowed to mount at 12 degrees instead of the 15 degrees I mount other racks at.

Motion Tire Motorsports
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

I give Joseph's info 2 Thumbs UP!
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

Would you guys say the "Latest Rage" rack is a good alternative to finding a SACO, now that they've closed down shop & no longer making them???

I'm still in the middle (slow process) of building mine, I have a widened Thing beam with a Thing steering box on mine & have been wanting to change it to an EPS Rack instead...

What are your thoughts on that?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

Recently made SACO racks weren't that good, mainly finish and fit issues. I have one that was not so great, and several vendors would agree this was the case.

I would say most comparable to the older SACO racks that were "made with love" are the new Kartek racks.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/kartek-offroad-151-ra...beams.html
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
Recently made SACO racks weren't that good, mainly finish and fit issues. I have one that was not so great, and several vendors would agree this was the case.

I would say most comparable to the older SACO racks that were "made with love" are the new Kartek racks.

https://www.kartek.com/parts/kartek-offroad-151-ra...beams.html

Yeah, I read the same thing about the last SACO racks being made... I was looking at the Kartek Rack, but, the price is up there!!! Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad That's why I was wondering about the cheaper latest rage racks... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

The Latest Rage is a 1 to 1 ratio and a very cheap copy of the original Wright Place rack and pinion. I am using it on a sand buggy.
If you plan on using on using your vehicle for street or off road abuse, I would not use the Latest Rage rack and pinion.
Find a good SACO or buy the KarTek rack and pinion as it will last a lot longer.
Motion Tire Motorsports
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
The Latest Rage is a 1 to 1 ratio and a very cheap copy of the original Wright Place rack and pinion. I am using it on a sand buggy.
If you plan on using on using your vehicle for street or off road abuse, I would not use the Latest Rage rack and pinion.
Find a good SACO or buy the KarTek rack and pinion as it will last a lot longer.

That's what I was expecting to hear... Sad I wanted a 1.5:1 ratio anyway, so, I have NO Choice but to NOT cheap out with that LR unit! Looks like the KarTek is my only real option at this point!

Thanks for the replies guys!!!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

In the summer I drive my buggy with a 1.5 rack on the street, and as a guy who probably has 10,000 street and off-road miles on a 1.5 rack, I certainly wouldn't want a 1:1. I think that's sand car stuff. 1.5 isn't what I would call "twitchy" but it's sure close.
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

I just picked up a Kartek rack for my buggy... now I'm going to go to the junk yard tomorrow and look for an EPS that I can adapt to it...

I'm not sure what the best set up is but I've seen that people get them from a prius or corrola... not sure what else I should be looking for. Any info would be great!
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
In the summer I drive my buggy with a 1.5 rack on the street, and as a guy who probably has 10,000 street and off-road miles on a 1.5 rack, I certainly wouldn't want a 1:1. I think that's sand car stuff. 1.5 isn't what I would call "twitchy" but it's sure close.

Mine's a 1:1, never had an issue with it tbfh, even at 3 figure speeds.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

Phillip now that I look at your car picture, I notice your front tires are notably smaller than mine, based on how you use the car. I bet that's a variable worth tossing into the mix too, since I'm doing more rock-clambering and the like than you. I think the leverage over my larger tires is not something I could sacrifice any more of when a tire is jammed between rocks or I'm sliding backwards down a hill. I could see being convinced on 1:1 in more of a rally-type usage and tire choice setting.

66 Shorty wrote:

I'm not sure what the best set up is but I've seen that people get them from a prius or corrola... not sure what else I should be looking for. Any info would be great!

The two I've seen are the 2014 Kia Soul...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNOmAqsVLg

....and the Saturn Vue one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tgqnbAx3U

I know the Prius is popular too I just don't know anything about that. I'd imagine the one with the most durable guts is the one to go with.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

I have power steering so that's not really an issue even when there's rocks or stream beds.

I wouldn't say it's twitchy though, even at speed, that's as much a geometery thing as the rack itself I'd say.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:
I wouldn't say it's twitchy though, even at speed, that's as much a geometery thing as the rack itself I'd say.

Do you happen to know your beam and/or kingpin caster angle at normal ride height?
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beam rub Reply with quote

About 7-8 degrees.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: