Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing from Mexico to the US
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpcook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

I am looking at importing a 1978 Thing from Mexico into the US. I wanted to see if anyone has used a company recently that they'd recommend. I can get the car to the Tijuana area, it is currently in La Paz.

Thanks,
Jason
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

You are headed for a world of hurt if you want to put that on the street. It isn’t smoggable
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Getting it into the USA is easy. But, you'll have problems if you're wanting to register in California. Getting it across the border is easy, you'll declare it and be issued forms CBP 7501, EPA 3520-1, and DOT HS7. You'll be duty free because it was built in the NAFTA zone.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You are headed for a world of hurt if you want to put that on the street. It isn’t smoggable

Comparing apples to oranges but I have a buddy who has a whole garage full of "grey market" Ducati motorcycles. He keeps track of old race bikes and where they end up. There is generally no MSO on race machinery because it was never intended to be street legal.

They don't call it "grey market' for nuthin'.

He flew out to Denver and picked up an old 851 and rode it back. Ran it through a local shop so it had a working headlight and tail light. Probably didn't have a working brake light because he got rear ended by a camper in Oklahoma. The weird part is his insurance paid for "repairs". He upgraded to carbon fiber wheels and a titanium exhaust.

You might have to take your socks off to count everything funky with that deal.

The classic trick with Mexican VWs is to plop the Mexican body on a legitimate U.S. chassis.

Trick is to achieve a workable compromise. All the way legal on California is a PITA if it's even possible. Of course all the way illegal is a PITA everywhere if you want to drive it.

BTW Maine will happily sell you Maine tags no matter where you live. Cool

jpcook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm going to register it in North Carolina, no smog requirement on a 20+ year old vehicles. I'm still looking for a company if anyone knows of one that does the paperwork and moves it across the border.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

This makes it easier. If you can get to Tijuana you will find that it's just 3 forms when you declare it at the border. This is the best way. Otherwise, find a customs broker.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Know what those motorcycle cops are doing when they and their buddies go thru slow to stopped traffic at "going home or to work hour"? They are looking for 2 things (A) expired tags (B) out of state license plates. You have 20 days to register your car in California unless you are active military.

"Hi, you have a tail light that is flickering, can I see your license and registration please? Looks good, you still live at the address on your license? I see, so explain the NC plates."

You are toast. Not only will there be fines, but they will hurt.

The process to pass smog on a 1978 Thing would be to prove one with the same engine family was sold in the US or California in 1978 and that a smog profile was done on it. If not then you can pay the $10K - $15K to test the engine family, prove that t passes 1978 California (they might let you use Federal standards due to NC plates, but it could be questionable because San Ysidro would have been the port of entry) and then if everything else passes Federal and California standards for 1978 you can legally license it here. Otherwise it is a trailer queen and you can drive it around your property or off road.

Oh yeah, and if you do the NC thing, don't piss off any neighbors, friends, co-workers, TheSamba members, other drivers, or ex-wives https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/chp-reg-(out-of-state-registration-violators)
14Eyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Why is everyone here in such a twist about California? The guy lists himself as living in Charlotte NC and said he was going to title it in NC, so I don’t see how California factors into this at all
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

MIssed it, or location added post post.

Tijuana is a usual import spot for CA cars.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

the address was added later.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

why do you guys assume. all members live in Califoriniacation?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

All VWs end up in CA, and all restaurants are Taco Bell
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

It's true. I bought mine in CA. It's from NM.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

Anybody can look up importers but I haven't imported a car so I couldn't recommend one. With a little reading it looks like the Bug needs to be at least 25 years old to escape needing to meet the year of manufacturer safety standards, a federal requirement for newer imports. Interestingly, a couple sites also listed the 2004 Beetle Ultima Edition as a blacklisted car, meaning it will never be legal to import.

It doesn't sound hard to legally import a 1997 or older Mexican Bug based on a little reading. A friend of mine imported an older Toyota diesel pickup from Australia. He got flagged for an enhanced inspection because it wasn't clean enough but even that proved fairly painless. It did cost him though. Until the car is released to him it had to be moved by licenced import movers so he had a few expensive towing bills.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

The Ultima Edicion being on that list doesn't mean it can "never" be imported. It just means that a petition to let it in early because of historical significance was denied. The car can be imported in 2028
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

You can pick from brokers/importers on www.uShip.com
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
The Ultima Edicion being on that list doesn't mean it can "never" be imported. It just means that a petition to let it in early because of historical significance was denied. The car can be imported in 2028

Interesting, I know never knew that. So assuming there are a bunch floating around south of the boarder we could see a flood of modern bugs in 2028+? That could be really cool to see. That's only a few years away so I better start saving!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

You can import up to 1998 now. Just make sure that its build date makes it 25 years old. If you had a 1998 that was built in May you would have to wait until May for example
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: