Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ram-air Cooling Ducts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

Road dust and rocks would be the result especially on gravel and dirt roads! At highway speeds you would get cool air but in traffic you could pull hot air up from under the car.

I left it off on my street Buggy but it gets covered with dirt and rocks anyway being as the engine is all in the open.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

craigman wrote:
Very cool results!
I wonder what would happen if someone were to remove the front (flywheel side) tin to let in fresh air. It would a lot of fresh air into the fan and carbs.
Just a thought...

This does work providing the decklid is propped open at the bottom to provide air flow at highway speeds. I saw a drop in cylinder head/oil temp based on my VDO gauges. Also makes it difficult to keep engine clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

Any updates? Its been over a year.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
Any updates? Its been over a year.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I spent pretty much every spare minute I had last summer repairing some damage to my front left quarter panel and replacing the hinge pins on the driver's side door (which, of course, required me to design and build my own special hinge-pin removal tool, 'cause that's how I get my kicks). So the Samba kinda got put on the back burner for a while.

Anyway, the ram-air ducts continue to function beautifully! I got my CHT gauges re-connected and took my machine out for a sustained, full throttle run down a lonely stretch of state highway, so I do have some more data to offer:

Accelerating from 55 mph to a sustained average speed of approx. 98 mph, on a (mostly) flat and level road with a slight head wind, CHT's started at about 250 degrees F and climbed steadily until they leveled off at about 365 degrees F. After the CHT's stopped climbing, I only kept my foot in it for probably not more than a minute or two, 'cause my balls just aren't big enough, I suppose. But 365 degrees F was pretty impressive, I thought. I was expecting it to be at least 75 degrees higher.

As mentioned earlier, my CHT sensors aren't located exactly under the spark plugs, so keep that in mind. For what it's worth, they're located here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Last edited by Floating VW on Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

This is really cool. So when is the kit going to become available? Popcorn
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

Very cool design and technique.
I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram-air Cooling Ducts Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
This is really cool. So when is the kit going to become available? Popcorn

Hah! I've actually had several people ask me that.

I guess the best answer to that would be, whenever I get over my absolute loathing of working with composites!

Bug53 wrote:
Very cool design and technique.
I like it.

Thanks, man!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: