Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DC to DC charger question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

So I just installed Renogy's DC to DC Charger because the solar definitely won't cut it during the winter months. It works but I noticed my starter battery is only reading about 12.7 volts while the van is idling. The aux battery reads 13.7 at the same time.

When I unplug the system and run the van, the starting battery is at 13.7 while idling.

Anyone know how to both charge my auxiliary battery and make sure my starting battery is getting charged enough?

Do I need to upgrade my alternator? OR upgrade the alternator wiring?

thanks you.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

questions:

what dc to dc charger (amps?)

what gauge wire are you using?

what type of aux battery? deep cycle?

is teh renogy set for the correct type of battery?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
questions:

what dc to dc charger (amps?)

what gauge wire are you using?

what type of aux battery? deep cycle?

is teh renogy set for the correct type of battery?

Its a 40 amp charger. Using 8 gauge wire. The aux battery is two 100amp hour lithium batteries.

I believe its set to the correct with the 2,3,4 tabs up. 1 and 2 are down. I referred to the manual to set that for lithium batteries

thank you for your help
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

So the DC TO DC charger you installed is not a solar charger too?
Renogy makes two chargers with solar: DCDC30S and DCDC50S.
Which DC to DC charger did you use and how are you dealing with a solar charge controller?
Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
So the DC TO DC charger you installed is not a solar charger too?
Renogy makes two chargers with solar: DCDC30S and DCDC50S.
Which DC to DC charger did you use and how are you dealing with a solar charge controller?

I have a separate Renogy solar charge controller.

this is the dc to dc charger I installed: https://www.renogy.com/12v-40a-dc-to-dc-on-board-b...uoQAvD_BwE

And I used the blue wire under the driver seat as the D+ Ignition
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

do you have a temperature monitor on it? how is its D wire connected?

edit , nevermind i see that now. i would check to see if the green light is lit when the ignition is switched off just to eliminate it being on while the key is off. otherwise i would take a reading from the charger while it is switched on and confirm its numbers. its probably the fact that when you take the reading its while your vehicle is at idel, try revving it over 2500-3000 rpm and see if its charging at more than 12.7 v
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
do you have a temperature monitor on it? how is its D wire connected?

edit , nevermind i see that now. i would check to see if the green light is lit when the ignition is switched off just to eliminate it being on while the key is off. otherwise i would take a reading from the charger while it is switched on and confirm its numbers. its probably the fact that when you take the reading its while your vehicle is at idel, try revving it over 2500-3000 rpm and see if its charging at more than 12.7 v

I tried that, more like around 2k rpms, but no increase in voltage sadly.

what if I used higher gauge wire from main battery to DC Charger? Would that limit the voltage going over and allow the starting battery to charge better?

other thing I was thinking was getting a switch and just turning it off when I need to make sure the starter battery gets a lot of charge. Seems like it could work for a bit but not a good solution.

Final thoughts: upgrading the wiring at the alternator to thicker might help? I know go westy sells a kit for that.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

to know what is really going on you need current monitoring in the line to the aux batteries. what is LIKELY going on is that the lithium batts are not finished charging so there is a significant current draw from the starting battery/alternator-- more than can be supplied at idle. this isn't really a problem at all because how much time do you spend idling? raise the rpm to 2500 rpm and what is the starting battery voltage? it is likely fine and will charge both battery sets while driving.

older BMW motorcycles are notorious for DIScharging at idle and not really putting juice back into the battery until 1800-2000 rpm.

personally, i would not upgrade the charging system until proven to be a failure. just remember to not sit there idling for really extended periods when your aux batteries have been previously drawn low. management through behavior vs upgrades.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

wait so when you take a reading from your battery while its above 2k rpm you still get no change? that doesnt sound right. have you checked your alternators output? it should increase to 13v or at least 12.9 regardless of that renogy issue. is it charging?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
wait so when you take a reading from your battery while its above 2k rpm you still get no change? that doesnt sound right. have you checked your alternators output? it should increase to 13v or at least 12.9 regardless of that renogy issue. is it charging?

maybe it was a misread on my end. I will check again tomorrow and confirm.
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps but I recently had a new (rebuilt) Bosch alternator installed as well as the alternator upgrade wiring from GW. I was using a SurePower isolator at the time to charge my house battery (LA). The charging rate on the starter battery was barely 12.7 at idle with the isolator installed so I removed it. The charge rate on the starter battery now is 13.4-14.1.
I bought the Renogy DCDC30S and will install it soon. I believe it won't even charge the lithium house battery unless the voltage is 13.2 at the starter battery. I avoided ordering the DCDC charger you have because it didn't have those voltage limits.
Sure do hope you get to the bottom of it and let is know what happened.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

Hello, the D+ terminal of the Renogy is not exactly accurate for the vanagon. It just needs to see power when the engine is running. Have you verified the green LED on the renogy is lit when the engine is running. I got a little creative for my D+ connection. I connected it to my X circuit so that during cranking it was disabled. Wanted to ensure the dc charger was isolated during cranking. I thought about it a little more and added a toggle switch and LED that controls the D+ circuit. Decided i didn’t always want the Renogy powered up. After a night of camping, the lithium SOC is 100% within an hour. Figured no sense running it each time the engine is running.

My battery BMS has Bluetooth so I can see the Amps in and out as well as the SOC on my phone.
Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Hello, the D+ terminal of the Renogy is not exactly accurate for the vanagon. It just needs to see power when the engine is running. Have you verified the green LED on the renogy is lit when the engine is running. I got a little creative for my D+ connection. I connected it to my X circuit so that during cranking it was disabled. Wanted to ensure the dc charger was isolated during cranking. I thought about it a little more and added a toggle switch and LED that controls the D+ circuit. Decided i didn’t always want the Renogy powered up. After a night of camping, the lithium SOC is 100% within an hour. Figured no sense running it each time the engine is running.

My battery BMS has Bluetooth so I can see the Amps in and out as well as the SOC on my phone.

This is a great idea. I am going to add a switch to the D+ wire today. Maybe this will give me some peace of mind.

the green led is lit when engine is running.

I haven't looked through the bluetooth yet but I believe mine has it and ill check that out today as well!

Thank you
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

I don't believe the Renogy dc charger has blue tooth built in. My actual battery BMS has bluetooth built in. So, I'm monitoring the battery. The app lets me see the amps in and the amps out to the battery.

I wasn't comfortable using the van's D+ alternator circuit. From memory, key on 12 volts is sent down the D+ circuit to excite the alternator into charging. Once the alternator starts charging, charging voltage is then sent the opposite direction from the alternator. This is what shuts the warning light off.

I wasn't sure how the Renogy would handle that and could not get a clear answer from them. In theory, the Renogy would power up when you turned the key to the run position which is not ideal because the D+ circuit would get hot. I just did not spend the time to work that out. Decided the X circuit was a better way to go. It cuts during cranking which is when you wouldn't want the Renogy combined. Plus, I'd rather have the van's starting circuit back up to spec after starting before combining. The toggle gives me that control. The LED is on the output of the toggle so if the toggle dies I have an indication. I have forgotten to turn it on though. Not the end of the world since we don't use much power camping.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

I had the Renogy 40a unit. It was set to turn on with my ignition. I never really had any issues cranking.

You could do an experiment and see how fast the charger starts working with your BMS.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

Our van at times is a daily driver. I just did not see the point of the Renogy having to power up each time the engine was running. In daily use, the accessory battery sees no load so it's SOC remains at 100%. Road trips are another story. Once the battery is at 100% SOC after a night of camping, don't see the need to have the Renogy powered up all day long. Having the starting battery recover from starting and letting the alternator come up to temp before having to recover the Lithium was just an add on feature of having a toggle added. No science to back up that thought though.
Falkend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Our van at times is a daily driver. I just did not see the point of the Renogy having to power up each time the engine was running. In daily use, the accessory battery sees no load so it's SOC remains at 100%. Road trips are another story. Once the battery is at 100% SOC after a night of camping, don't see the need to have the Renogy powered up all day long. Having the starting battery recover from starting and letting the alternator come up to temp before having to recover the Lithium was just an add on feature of having a toggle added. No science to back up that thought though.

I actually just went out and checked everything again. Good news, the starting battery is ay 13.7 volts at idle now. not sure what changed though haha.

I am going to add a switch at the d+ line in a little bit, it think it would still be useful like you explain.

Everything seems to be working as intended though. Thank you for the help everyone.
montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

This is wild! I love how the samba reveals folks having similar issues/observations with such good timing. I just installed the 20amp version (https://www.renogy.com/12v-20a-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/) and had the exact same situation happen!

Falkend, it sounds like we wired ours up the same way as well. I was basically converting the GW AUX kit to work with this charge (https://gowesty.com/products/basic-auxiliary-battery-install-kit-air-cooled-camper-non-campers). Basically just deleting the solenoid.

I will say that before I did this upgrade, I saw my alternator and starting battery around 14.1v.

Any logic behind why there is a change when adding this dc to dc?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

You should have the same voltage measured at the alternator post, the starter battery post and the charger input terminal. Any difference is due to a voltage drop from resistance somewhere in the circuit. There was a recent thread about where to connect the dc input lead to. There are 3 good places. The alternator stud, the starter solenoid bat stud, or the positive terminal of the starter battery. You need to also pay attention to the distance and wire gauge. The manual spells this out. I'd be hesitant to use the vans factory wiring if you want full voltage and are seeing a drop.

The D+ voltage input is not as critical. It is just energizing the renogy to turn on. Like how a relay works. The output voltage of the renogy is set with the dip switches. You want those to match your battery ideal charge voltage.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DC to DC charger question Reply with quote

montanasurfer wrote:
This is wild! I love how the samba reveals folks having similar issues/observations with such good timing. I just installed the 20amp version (https://www.renogy.com/12v-20a-dc-to-dc-on-board-battery-charger/) and had the exact same situation happen!

Falkend, it sounds like we wired ours up the same way as well. I was basically converting the GW AUX kit to work with this charge (https://gowesty.com/products/basic-auxiliary-battery-install-kit-air-cooled-camper-non-campers). Basically just deleting the solenoid.

I will say that before I did this upgrade, I saw my alternator and starting battery around 14.1v.

Any logic behind why there is a change when adding this dc to dc?

If you didn't upgrade the alternator I'm not surprised. The stock alternator will struggle to rise above 12.5 - 13.0V if an extra 20A is sucked out of it. That DC-DC charger don't switch off the charging when the volts go below 13.5V - if it did you'd find the charger kept switching on and off.

Also, if you bypass the D+ so the charger is on when the engine is stopped, it'll keep discharging the starter battery until it goes below 8V. Then you're doomed...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: