Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum Bell Housing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdp65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

hey gang,
Could any of you compare the HD Aluminum Bell Housing by GoWesty to the Aluminum South African Bell Housing? Are they the same? Which One is Stronger? Which one has more material for clearancing different flywheels? Thanks in Advance.
https://gowesty.com/products/heavy-duty-aluminum-bell-housing?_pos=1&_sid=b1c5cfbf8&_ss=r

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

Can’t compare for you, but the GW one is for a pancake engine. My limited history of South African T3 was they we’re running in line cylinder engines. If that’s the case, the bellhousing would have a different design.

As far as clearancing, I had to clearance my diesel bellhousing for the dual mass flywheel. Don’t think it weakened it. It needed a special input shaft that likely only works with the diesel bell housing. There is another bell housing that came in the Mexico market that required a very rare input shaft. Spline and diameter where the same, but longer than the stock diesel and pancake shafts. It mounted the in-line engine straight up.

So, you do need to pay attention that you have all the parts to complete your project.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

I think I heard.... you have to grind the bellhousing (from Weddle) just a little.
AlikaT3 should know this stuff.
Alika has a Dual Mass Flywheel too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
sdp65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I think I heard.... you have to grind the bellhousing (from Weddle) just a little.

so is the one weddle sells and the gowesty one the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

I’m not the one to ask, but I doubt GoWesty has anything for diesel.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

The late WBX and diesel bellhousings were aluminum.
Usually when we mention SA bellhousings, it's the 5 inline bellhousing.
The aluminum one was made in Germany as far as I know, maybe they had left over stocks in RSA that got sold by vendors at some point.

The bellhousing sold by Go Westy is an aftermarket item, I don't know about the strength.

DMF's are usually a diesel feature, the subject here is a flat four bellhousing, gasser.
I wouldn't worry about the German aluminum bellhousing strength.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

@Scott. What engine are you intending to mate the transmission to?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
The late WBX and diesel bell housings are aluminum.
Usually when we mention SA bell housings, it's the 5 inline bell housing.
The aluminum one was made in Germany as far as I know, maybe they had left over stocks in RSA that got sold by vendors at some point.

The bell housing sold by Go Westy is an aftermarket item, I don't know about the strength.

DMF's are usually a diesel feature, the subject here is a flat four bell housing, gasser.

I wouldn't worry about the German aluminum bell housing strength.

I agree about the strength (no worries). I've been around VWs well over 50 years. I do not recall seeing or reading anything about Bell Housing failure (the oll slinger can be problematic with any bell housing).

Yep, I have a SA Bell Housing for the In-line 5-cylinder. Not sure if it is aluminum or not.... bright and shiny though. (I may list it in the classifieds sometime soon)

There ..........

Last edited by AndyBees on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

There's been slight variations in diesel bellhousing castings, but we digress.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
sdp65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
@Scott. What engine are you intending to mate the transmission to?

Mark,
I am getting a PD TDI from FAS. (how's that for some letters!)
It s a pumpe duse Turbo Diesel. its designed to mate up to WBX bell housing, not the diesel housing nor inline SA housing and just wondering which one is the strongest, and I guess if it even matters.....
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum Bell Housing Reply with quote

FAS makes some nice stuff. Because they are using an adapter plate, you may be locked into using their flywheel and clutch setup. I'd ask them about the Dual Mass Flywheel. Most of us sporting TDI's have had to upgrade to that setup to keep the transmission from hammering itself to death.

I think the bellhousing Weddle or GW sells will be fine and likely won't need any clearance added. Get ready to hold on to your hat. Nothing like that torque and power. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: