Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

Will a RGB box/axle from a 181/thing fit on a split bus? do they have the same with?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

yes and yes Cool
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:
yes and yes Cool

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

comparing bug nut traany (H-code) with a Thing/181 tranny (AK-code) it looks that they have the same dimension. The advantage is thatthe tranny has a ratio 3.875 and the RGB 1:26
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

What 4th gear though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
05gh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
What 4th gear though?

The transmission code is AK and the ring pinion is 3.875. The 4th gear ratio i guess .82 but I could not find any information to confirm that.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

That surprises me. I always thought the things were equipped with full independent rear suspension. With 2 CV joints per axle like the beetle. The USA only got them in '73 & '74 .The swing axles must have been on older models that this is referring.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
That surprises me. I always thought the things were equipped with full independent rear suspension. With 2 CV joints per axle like the beetle. The USA only got them in '73 & '74 .The swing axles must have been on older models that this is referring.

that is correct. german 181 came with RGBs

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
thomas. wrote:

that is correct. german 181 came with RGBs

not all of them, right? mine is a german 74 and has CV joints. RGB's on 181 came on 69..probably 70? They are rare...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

not all of them but they did come with RGBs at first. In the US they never did.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

05gh wrote:
buseric wrote:
What 4th gear though?

The transmission code is AK and the ring pinion is 3.875. The 4th gear ratio i guess .82 but I could not find any information to confirm that.

That is right 4th gear ratio is 0,82, I have the official VW repair manuel.
181's with RGB's from september1969 till 28/2/1973 civilian and military. Cool
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

That’s tall gearing. I have a similar setup with a 82x88 thick wall engine with lots of low in torque. You will need that or a stock engine will over heat.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

they fit, but careful that often they have also ZF limited slip diff, and some of them reguire special oil, and that they have smaller brakes,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: swap axle and RGB from a 181/thing gearbox to a split bus Reply with quote

storm wrote:
That’s tall gearing. I have a similar setup with a 82x88 thick wall engine with lots of low in torque. You will need that or a stock engine will over heat.

Agree. I ran this exact ratio combination with stock 15" wheels and tires. I had a 74x88 stroker with dual IDFs. I wouldn't want to run it with much less power especially if you live near hills/mountains
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: