Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Productive few hours!
FYI the longer/ shorter tubes are because of the offset of the 1-2 and 3-4 cylinder heads.
Cleaning up when I'm done for the night always makes it easier to get started the next time. I hate walking into a shop that was shut down in a hurry.

Something to check on, I seem to recall those tubes having a recessed area, that is so they clear the torsion housing. I'll dig through my pics to see if I have something showing it. Or not, could be wrong.
*Edit* one side has the dent
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SD

Thank you! I just went out and see the deformation in the tube on the shelf I still have, from the 59. How in the heck did I miss that! I was right there in front of it the whole time. Man!

Okay now that begs the question….how do I keep the tube from collapsing while I press a depression into it. Just off the cuff, maybe weld a cap on the interior end. Fill with sand. Shove a cup into the other end to compress the sand. That way all of the interior area of compression is covered by the sand area. Then take a band type clamp and compress the one side with a segment of 1/2” steel bar, about 3” long x 3/4” wide. Guess I will be thinking on this one for awhile! I know that I am not in welding it! Laughing my ass off and crying at the same time!

Keep pointing them out! I love a second, third, fourth set of eyes!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

How about a length of thick wall pipe that fits tightly inside the tube.
Cut a window in the pipe to mimic the tube depression on the outer tube.
Tap the depression into the tube and slip the pipe out of the tube.

Thinking while typing the above.
It might be a good idea to cut a groove into the pipe so after making the tube depression. The pipe can be slid out of the tube. Without getting hung up.

I know, Stupid! But just trying to help with a solution for the problem.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

How correct do you want the dent to look?
Easiest thing would be to just cut the dent out of your donor tube and weld it into what you've made. If not, I'd probably make some strategic relief cuts where the dent goes, to guide the bends. Then hammer the dent into shape, and fill whatever voids are left. The only evidence will be the pictures you post here Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
How about a length of thick wall pipe that fits tightly inside the tube.
Cut a window in the pipe to mimic the tube depression on the outer tube.
Tap the depression into the tube and slip the pipe out of the tube.

Thinking while typing the above.
It might be a good idea to cut a groove into the pipe so after making the tube depression. The pipe can be slid out of the tube. Without getting hung up.

I know, Stupid! But just trying to help with a solution for the problem.

I like it! VERY MUCH! Think I will make a 2 piece unit. The lower 180 degree section will have the window cut out of it. The top 180 degrees will be a full semi circle. Slide the unit in as a whole. After hammering. Slide the top half out and then lift the bottom up and out.

Let’s see what I can accomplish next time! Thanks for the idea!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
How correct do you want the dent to look?
Easiest thing would be to just cut the dent out of your donor tube and weld it into what you've made. If not, I'd probably make some strategic relief cuts where the dent goes, to guide the bends. Then hammer the dent into shape, and fill whatever voids are left. The only evidence will be the pictures you post here Wink

Not a bad idea! I like it!!! I also have a long reaching rasp, I fabricated to reach in 10 inches. Had a job that required some creative repairing! That might work. Or maybe get my copper blanks set up inside there!

I will need to think on this through the week. I know it must be done. Thinking it may be super easy to take a section of the remnant pipe and try out one of these suggestions! There, just typing this out has already started the thinking process! This place is just an awesome resource, for those of us with limited vision! Thank you!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
frydaddy96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Rather than split the inner pipe lengthwise, cut it in half at the window and slide in/out from both ends.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

frydaddy96 wrote:
Rather than split the inner pipe lengthwise, cut it in half at the window and slide in/out from both ends.

Awesome idea! That is what I was waiting for! Knew someone had stumbled onto something like this before! Thank you frydaddy!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got another 3 hours on the Bug. Decided to see how tight the heater pipes are to the axle tube. So, let’s get the body on the pan again!

First, I went through and double checked several items, to make sure I completed them.
Check.

Check.

Check!

With it all looking good, it was mating time! The two halves, in each of their corners.

I started digging through the assortment of new parts, looking for the body mount pads and stumbled on an old rusty body part.

Saved it for locating the door card holes. So….might as well cross that off the list!

Found the box of rubber pads. Man, these are much bigger and thicker than the 69 year old parts that came with the Bug.

That was the rear mount. I also pulled out the pad for the double bolt over the rear torsion tube. Onto the front 2.

Look at the difference in thickness!

They then were installed.

Slide the double hole pad into place and aligned the pad to the bolt hole, using some longer bolts.

Then, onto the pan bolts. Damn, those got tossed into the wrong box! Laziness made my job hard once again. One day, in the future, I will learn a lesson from that. Maybe.

I also installed the 2 bolts above the front axle beam. Went through and torqued everything down. FINALLY, the body is whole and completely bolted to the pan! Now I can start adjusting stuff!!!!

Decided to get the doors, trunk and decklid on to see what needs to be pushed here and forced there! But first, before it gets too heavy, I took the time to place the body onto the dolly. Rolled the shell over and onto the dolly, then removed, both the rear and the front rotisserie carts.

The rear one!

Then set the rotisserie to the side.

Pushed the Bug over to its side and reviewed the panel gaps. Need to make a few adjustments, but I am very happy with what has taken place so far. Not to bad! Trunk looks great! Needs some adjusting, but not bad!

Look at how nice that decklid is laying! That was some work!

Passenger door is sitting a little low. I need to adjust this.

And the tubes clear the axle with no deformation. But it is close!

Might need a dent!

Time is up! To the brewery we go! Cheers!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Looking good Jim, I'm sure you tilted a beer to celebrate that marriage. You must be itchin' to get that thing to bodywork. 🍺
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

!!!!!!!Excellent¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Dude, your documentation is SICK! Thanks for taking the time to snap pics as you go. This makes for some good reading. Nothing but admiration for your skills. Applause

Can't wait to see the finished product.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Looking good Jim, I'm sure you tilted a beer to celebrate that marriage. You must be itchin' to get that thing to bodywork. 🍺

Tilted 3 back! Wanted 4, but Mrs. Jimbo said, “NO!” Probably for the better. My judgement goes to shit after the 2nd one!

Itching to send it off for sand blasting and some epoxy primer. But I am going to take a few weekends to address a few dents. Want to hammer these and make them look decent. Minimal filler! Need to pound on the passenger door seam a bit too! It meshed together less than stellar. Not too happy with it.

Thanks man! It felt good to get those 2 hemispheres united!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

esde wrote:
!!!!!!!Excellent¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Agreed! Feels so good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Dude, your documentation is SICK! Thanks for taking the time to snap pics as you go. This makes for some good reading. Nothing but admiration for your skills. Applause

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thank you! I guess college paid off!!!!! Because I paid no attention to the teachers in high school!

You are welcome! I real enjoy doing it! I have stated that my memory is less than mediocre, so documenting this is for me to remember what I did! There have been several days where I have to go back and review what I did. Because it has been a shit ton of work! Glad you are enjoying it! I know that I am!

Yep. That “finished product” dream. Hoping I get to that point in the next several years. There are many life mile stones creeping up on my horizon and really want this to be completed and enjoyed before most of them come to fruition! But we all know that this is really just an expensive hobby and it all can wait. So, cross your fingers that it keeps moving forwards! I am!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Not only people in he USA are enjoying this journey. I'm from the Netherlands and I love it.
It's my favorite thread. It's a joy to see and read what you are doing with this Oval.
I wish I had the skills and the energy, but I haven't.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Wow. You're over the hill Jimbo!

Er... I mean... well with the car, with the car!

Seriously Dude. The gravity is working for you from here on out. Enjoy the ride as the momentum builds and builds. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Enjoying your project heaps Jimbo.

This one photo had me scratching my head. Rear quarter blended in so well it looked invisible. Took me a minute.

Keep up the great work, really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards from Australia,

Mark.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
Not only people in he USA are enjoying this journey. I'm from the Netherlands and I love it.
It's my favorite thread. It's a joy to see and read what you are doing with this Oval.
I wish I had the skills and the energy, but I haven't.

Thank you! Pretty cool to think that the fun I have here is being watched around the world! First time that has surfaced! Glad you are enjoying it! I really just love working on these little cars!!!!

Most of the skills were handed down on a first hand experience level. I have refined many of them, but I was given the primary skill set very early on!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Wow. You're over the hill Jimbo!

Er... I mean... well with the car, with the car!

Seriously Dude. The gravity is working for you from here on out. Enjoy the ride as the momentum builds and builds. Very Happy

No. I am a young 51. Barely old enough to buy beer. I am even laughing at that one!

Yes I am over that hill of rust flakes! Although the hill was more like a really deep pit that I could throw hundred dollar bills into and poof…GONE! Sure am having fun though!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! It helps out a lot!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

markendee wrote:
Enjoying your project heaps Jimbo.

This one photo had me scratching my head. Rear quarter blended in so well it looked invisible. Took me a minute.

Keep up the great work, really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards from Australia,

Mark.

Agreed. It is camouflaged!

Thank you! I am looking forward to the finished product too!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Jump to:
Page 62 of 87

Jump to: