Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

Hello Guys, the prior owner replaced the carpet and headliner. The back carpet is glued to the headliner (and falling apart). Is this correct. Is there a better way to do this. Thank you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

From stock the carpet is longer and the end is unfinished.
It rolls over the edge of the firewall and tucks into the crevice as does the end of the perforated headliner, then a piece of ~8 mm cording gets pushed in to hold them tight.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
From stock the carpet is longer and the end is unfinished.
It rolls over the edge of the firewall and tucks into the crevice as does the end of the perforated headliner, then a piece of ~8 mm cording gets pushed in to hold them tight.

Thank you. My carpet looks to have a finished edge. How do you think I can easily fix this. Do people use screws.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

On both of my bugs I glued that portion on. Haven't had an issue with it peeling back off. My 65 was installed in 1998.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
On both of my bugs I glued that portion on. Haven't had an issue with it peeling back off. My 65 was installed in 1998.

Thank you. What did you glue it with.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

In 2013 I was lucky to view the red '65 Sedan seen here at Classic VW Bugs' shop in person. All original, ca. 8000 miles! Here are some close-ups of the rear carpet and headliner sections.

More photos: http://www.classicvwbugs.com/65rubyoriginal/#
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

Thank you. That looks nice. I don't think I can undo what I have at this point.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

Is your carpet not long enough to roll over and tuck in?

Is it glued down firmly? If it is loose perhaps you can undo it from the floor/firewall so you can pull it up and bias more material towards the top.

DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Is your carpet not long enough to roll over and tuck in?

Is it glued down firmly? If it is loose perhaps you can undo it from the floor/firewall so you can pull it up and bias more material towards the top.

Thanks Bruce. I will look to see if I have slack. If I can roll if over, how to I secure it. Not necessarily looking for "correct" but easy and quick.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

As said stock it is long enough to roll over the edge and get wedged into the slot with a piece of cord. I suggest try that first if you can get an extra inch or two.
If you don't have cording try rope or a rolled up cloth of a discrete color.

If you can't get an extra inch or two then?

61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

Idea Here's an idea.

Pull the top of the carpet down five or six inches.
Tip: If it's glued, and it's closed loop carpet, be VERY carefull not to unravel as you go.

Cut a 6" by what ever the total width of the carpet/firewall is strip of heavy fabric (old denim might do well).

Lenghwise stitch 4" of it to the carpet, with like colored thread, on the top edge of the carpet so as to extend the carpet's end by 2" or so.

Like this now you have a heavy fabric tail you can wedge into the crevasse so to hold the carpetup firmly, and like that should also finish off the bottom edge of the window headliner piece too.

Last edited by 61SNRF on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. I will hit it this weekend.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

If you have time to investigate using screws(!) you have time to pull that one simple piece of carpet and just do it right. The hard part of this thread to read is that you asked for the right way to do it but then say, "Not necessarily looking for "correct" but easy and quick."

If the carpet is pulling away from the headliner so easily- it must not be thoroughly glued down. Therefore it should pull out easily with the back seat removed.

The seal around your rear window needs the lower edge pulled properly- easily done with a warm garage and a hook tool.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Rear Carpet to Headliner Glued? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
If you have time to investigate using screws(!) you have time to pull that one simple piece of carpet and just do it right. The hard part of this thread to read is that you asked for the right way to do it but then say, "Not necessarily looking for "correct" but easy and quick."

If the carpet is pulling away from the headliner so easily- it must not be thoroughly glued down. Therefore it should pull out easily with the back seat removed.

The seal around your rear window needs the lower edge pulled properly- easily done with a warm garage and a hook tool.

Thank you. The nature of my comment was I don't want to open up a can of worms with the headliner. I don't have the money to hire someone to replace it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: