Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 232, 233, 234  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Nothing tastier than an old fashioned cup of coal ash slurry water Rolling Eyes
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

Yeah, because people that are pushing an agenda/idea always estimate on the LOW end when they publish information for public distribution.

One of the major, major problems with EV's is not when you use the energy.. it's not even so much the falsehood of getting the power from solar or wind (because so little of our grid is actually supported by green energy), the reason EVs are bad is the same problem man has had since the discovery of the electron:

STORAGE!

Battery tech has definitely moved forward, but herein lies the problem: batteries need rarer earth metals that require massive amount of mining to procure the needed ore, usually environmentally damaging chemicals to extract the desired metal through leaching, and then you are left with an end product that is a toxic waste material.

EV tech is cool, but don't kid yourself. It is NOT environmentally friendly. It is literally a toxic waste problem in every driveway.

So many people with EV cars are so proud of the cheap cost per miles. How the EV cars don’t produce greenhouse gases while driving. How the range of EV cars is improving. How the $30,000 in solar panels will make driving virtually free in the future. I find this all awesome too. However, many EV car owners bury their head in the sand when it comes to the environmental impact that massive mining of the raw materials is going to have. There are reasons many parts of Canada and the US don’t drill every place they know oil exists and rely on OPEC nations to supplement its oil. It’s cheaper to buy OPEC oil and less damaging to the US and Canada’s environment.

If they find a way to harvest lithium from that shit hole known as the Salton Sea cheap and environmentally friendly, it will be nice for the US. If the US can’t harvest lithium cheap. It will be the new crude oil. We will buy it and rely on the cheapest producer like China or Australia. Now, where are we going to get all that nickel, cobalt, and other raw materials? Can we do it all domestic so we do not become reliant on foreign materials? You know just in case someone wants to hold us hostage from needed minerals and jack up the cost of products? Sound familiar?

But Xevin, we already rely on Lithium batteries for phones, computers, power tools, and etc. That’s correct, so when governments move to EV cars only in the future the cost of this iPhone I’m typing will be cheaper in the future because of the over abundance of lithium. No! Lithium is not silicon. Last I checked cost of lithium battery materials has skyrocketed the last few years.

So until someone credible presents data that proves EV cars are overall better for the environment from beginning to end. I’m not ready to go “All in” on EV cars. My uneducated guess says a blend of EV and fuel efficient ICE cars is the way to go.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

except coal ash is used in tons of shit, including your cup of water:

https://www.epa.gov/coalash/frequent-questions-about-beneficial-use-coal-ash

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:

Why is it we haven't been captured every last bit of NATURAL GAS? I suspect there's regulation that is politically motivated to BURN IT OFF.

the flares you see burning off the gas is basically due to the fact that the gas is sooooo cheap, and so plentiful it just doesn't make sense to capture it and process it for resale.

personally I think it's foolish to waste it, but i'd suspect if there was money to be made, it would have been processed and resold

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

except coal ash is used in tons of shit, including your cup of water:

https://www.epa.gov/coalash/frequent-questions-about-beneficial-use-coal-ash

Well, since coal ash slurry is "safe", I'm sure Lithium mine slurry will be found to be "safe" as well. You'll be able to increase crop yields with it.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

I don't have any idea what the ingredients are in unleaded gas but logic tells me that natural gas would burn cleaner than ul fuel.. idk
Skills, you're probably right, no money in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

a couple of blown leaves

https://globalnews.ca/news/9319575/electric-vehicl...kQ71j8R334

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The UK says “Yes” to a new coal mine. That’s forward thinking Wink
Why would they do that Think

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/0...in-cumbria

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

jeez don't take anything that the uk is doing at the moment as guidance or a good example of anything. nothing makes sense...

"The mine will also produce an estimated 400,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions a year, increasing the UK’s emissions by the equivalent of putting 200,000 cars on the road.
The vast majority of the coal produced will be for export, as most UK steel producers have rejected the use of the coal, which is high in sulphur and surplus to their needs."

but hey - 500 jobs... Rolling Eyes

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
The UK says “Yes” to a new coal mine. That’s forward thinking Wink
Why would they do that Think

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/0...in-cumbria

In spite of their absurd and dangerous climate delusions, reality must prevail and coal mines must continue. There will never be enough renewables for everyone’s needs.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

finster wrote:
jeez don't take anything that the uk is doing at the moment as guidance or a good example of anything. nothing makes sense...

"The mine will also produce an estimated 400,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions a year, increasing the UK’s emissions by the equivalent of putting 200,000 cars on the road.
The vast majority of the coal produced will be for export, as most UK steel producers have rejected the use of the coal, which is high in sulphur and surplus to their needs."

but hey - 500 jobs... Rolling Eyes

DeathRay64 wrote:
In spite of their absurd and dangerous climate delusions, reality must prevail and coal mines must continue. There will never be enough renewables for everyone’s needs.

Indeed. I was trolling. The fact that UK just opened another coal mine for energy/electricity resources lead me to believe many other countries including the US will not be giving up coal anytime soon. Especially if it’s needed to supply energy to EV cars in the next 15 years. d'oh!

I’ve been baiting EV car guy to slam me with Environmental knowledge (facts) of EV cars making the world a better place. It’s not happening. All I get is the “Air will be better.” No shit. I should be an easy target as I’m rather ignorant to the big picture of “Environmental friendly cars” ICE cars need what to run? People need what to live?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
I don't have any idea what the ingredients are in unleaded gas but logic tells me that natural gas would burn cleaner than ul fuel.. idk
Skills, you're probably right, no money in it.

I have no idea either, all I know is the exhaust from unleaded fuel stink really really bad!

As for natural gas burning clean, you are absolutely correct! The biggest problem with it - once again - just like hydrogen and electricity is very limited range! That is the big one that has yet to be overcome by all alternate fuels! Except of course propane. That was a very viable and practical clean fuel option that disappeared from the landscape mostly I think due to greed.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There are Green Energy companies nashing at the bit to mine the Salton Sea area for the Lithium found there. I live like 60 miles as the crow flies from these deposits. In no case would I want them mining that close to my house.

The Salton Sea is one of the last places for migrating birds after most of the coastal wetlands have now all been developed. People are putting up a fight against the mining companies to save it from it being turned into a toxic pit.

Well here's the kicker. The Salton Sink is already a toxic nightmare. Everything that flows in stays. So salt, and other toxins have been building up since the Sea was accidentally created. The place stinks to high heaven. If the wind blows just right, it delivers toxic dust to Riverside, San Diego, and LA County.

A few years ago, the fresh water allocation the sea got to attempt to keep it somewhat alive was cut off in legal water disputes.

The mining companies have already pushed the idea that the lake is dead anyway, so it doesn't matter if they mine. Really it doesn't matter. Eventually they WILL mine it. Make Green batteries for 100k Green cars that arseholes can brag about how Green they are to their pompous friends. All the while another ecosystem is destroyed.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

From everyone’s favorite ceo:

Quote:
“If you wanted to power the entire U.S. with solar panels, it would take a fairly small corner of Nevada or Texas or Utah; you only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the entire United States. The batteries you need to store the energy, to make sure you have 24/7 power, is 1 mile by 1 mile. One square-mile. That’s it.” — Elon Musk

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Quote:
“If you wanted to power the entire U.S. with solar panels, it would take a fairly small corner of Nevada or Texas or Utah; you only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the entire United States. The batteries you need to store the energy, to make sure you have 24/7 power, is 1 mile by 1 mile. One square-mile. That’s it.” — Elon Musk

Now half of you quit and the other half work for half pay, twice as hard.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

That's what smoking too much of that deer oil will do to you! You are what you smoke.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Quote:

Now half of you quit and the other half work for half pay, twice as hard.

Ever notice how much Huey Long and Deer Oil are alike? Maybe.............
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

P99.., this is exactly why , I personally, feel ev's have more to do with money than any attempt at saving the earth. The greenies have been beating the "plastic " drum for 20 years and literally every single thing in a container going wherever is full of plastic. And being consumed as fast as the oil is pumped out of the ground.
One point I always forget, 90% of the human population are sheep, that is why we are in this worldwide mess, 90% of us have let the wolves run the hen house .
As for the 10%, we have to join in or get verbally pummeled.

I do believe, if the greenies and serious proponents of a cleaner future had a serious plan with logical examples of alternative energy and how to get there it would be far better accepted.
Now it's more like it or lump it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Solar land area to power the world…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 232, 233, 234  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 234

Jump to: