Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am from former Yugoslavia, and I am trying to buy a 1975 bug. I am not an expert on the subject so I am in need of your opinion. Owner said the floors and heater channels are in mint condition, banana air vents on c-pillars are closed so I guess less likely to rust from the inside.

What do you think of it? Do you see any red flags?
How does the engine looks like to you?
Do you think this is an original color?

Seller said it is from Germany, but some things suggests it is from Yugoslavia.
Example: letter J on the engine cover, no glow box doors, no wolfsburg logo on the steering wheel, upholstery doesnt cover whole ceiling...
Do you think it is from Germany?

Images are posted on IMGUR on the link bellow:
https://imgur.com/a/MIj1elV
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

How many bugs are you in the process of buying?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Just one, last one I tried to buy was sadly sold right in front of my nose.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

RustyDusty420 wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Just one, last one I tried to buy was sadly sold right in front of my nose.

That sucks!! Sorry to hear!!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

That's too bad. That 70 Bug looked real nice. This one is not nearly as good. It looks ok, but hard to tell from the photos.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

The other one you were looking at was better. 1975 bugs have a problem in the right rear quarter panel. On yours it looks like someone replaced it and sealed it up. You should inspect that are very carefully. That is where all the rust occurs on the late model German Beetles.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Some European models had the crescent reliefs that were not cut out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

How much is this blue Beetle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

That true about the cresents on the rear, the US models are vents. Also no padded dash or high back seats. Definetly a Euro type 1.
I have had BW's snatched out in front of me also, like i have another one to look at today, go back and it is gone.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
The other one you were looking at was better. 1975 bugs have a problem in the right rear quarter panel. On yours it looks like someone replaced it and sealed it up. You should inspect that are very carefully. That is where all the rust occurs on the late model German Beetles.

Agree. I am aware of C-pillars rust in 1971 and above bugs. Somehow i am hopping the rust issue is not big here because banana vents were closed in factory.

What do you think? Is there any way for inspecting inside C-pillars withought cutting?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

RustyDusty420 wrote:

Agree. I am aware of C-pillars rust in 1971 and above bugs. Somehow i am hopping the rust issue is not big here because banana vents were closed in factory.

What do you think? Is there any way for inspecting inside C-pillars withought cutting?

You can look up inside them from the engine bay. Just take a flash light and look up in that area. Check if you see foam.
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
How much is this blue Beetle?

6500€
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
RustyDusty420 wrote:

You can look up inside them from the engine bay. Just take a flash light and look up in that area. Check if you see foam.

I just spotted white spots of paint on C-pillars, I thought it was light reflecting of the car. Asked the owner and he said that the paint here was damaged because of some sort of ski rack. Do you (or anyone else) know any rack that would do the damage here?

Images on IMGUR:
https://imgur.com/a/7Pqb5as
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Unsure as I never saw that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Usually the rust in those areas causes bubbling. When you see the bubbling the damage is already done. It's fixable.

What is the price they are asking?
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Could it be that paint got bubbly and got repainted? I found rear racks that was used on beetles (Jim Dandy rear racks), but I doubt they would do damage to such area. This is major turn off for this bug. Any way I can still be interested is by knowing there is no rust inside C-pillars right now.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

Stick a scope probe up the back and look inside.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

definetly a quotable post.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

RustyDusty420 wrote:
heimlich wrote:

If the car has the foam, It can rust. It really wasn't the vents that caused the rust, it was the foam acting as a sponge and soaking up condensation formed on the metal. The vents get blamed...but they aren't the issue... it's the foam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RustyDusty420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a 1975 bug, need some advices and your opinions Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:

Do you know how can I access inside of C-pillars? I am guessing somewhere from the engine compartment, but not 100% sure from where. Is it possible to see anything if the foam is inside?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: