Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater core fix / hack
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
belky611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

Hi When I bought my van the PO had bypassed the heater core because the plastic hose fitting on one side had cracked and was leaking - it then snapped off when the bypass was being done as you can see in the first pic (that's the bypass in front)

I figured there had to be a way around that to fix the connection and after some Google searching I found a topic on the subject on an Audi forum. Long story short, I followed suit and had an aluminum fitting machined to the specs I measured with a digital calipers (second & third pic) and duly glued it in place with JB Weld (fourth pic) which form a perfect outer bead as I rotated the fitting while I inserted it. I let it set for 24 hrs before touching it again.

The core was flushed (it was clean and clear) and the hoses reconnected - it is hot on both sides and running fine, no leaks and I have heat in the cabin.

However one hurdle remains - I am still getting a mix of hot and cold air so I am assuming the heater box flaps are stuck or the foam seals are perished - so in the spirit of the work so far, I'll be going for the non dash removal tape job on the flaps - such as was done here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745264&highlight=heater

If anyone has any further input or advice on the issue, please share!

Anyway - I thought I would share this fix for the snapped or cracked inlet / outlet on the core and possibly save someone the pain of ripping the whole show apart for $50 core install - my fix cost $35 btw.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

Very cool -- thanks for sharing! Looks like a good solution. Might be helpful to others if you can also share the dimensions and/or drawing of the part that was machined.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

This is a nice temporary fix, but it will break again. The plastic simply ages out, and needs to be replaced.

I'd also encourage you to just bite the bullet and pull the dash. It's really not all that hard, just be very careful about the clock spring, and work slowly. You'll achieve a superior fix for the blend doors, and you can put a brand new heater core in there, which will be good to go for another 25 years.

I would also recommend replacing the heater blower while you're at it.
belky611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

VanGeek - Although this fix has worked for me in this instance I tend to lean toward each case being individual - meaning this fix may not work for everyone as the are so many variables involved re the condition of the core - this is just one that worked for me.

TheOneTrueQuux - I can't disagree with you on any of your points - you are of course correct.

That said though, there is a certain satisfaction to achieving the successful hack fix for a few bucks Vs. the extreme cost of a professional repair fraught with the risk of added cost because of the Pandora's box of breakable parts lost along the way and "while you're in there" add on OR a labor intensive DIY job fraught with the same Pandora's box - or can of worms. Such as my plan for timing chains, trans cooler, main seals etc etc etc for the coming Spring. $$$$$$$$$

In my mind the possibility of solving the immediate issue (no heat) quickly, cheaply and with a few pounds of satisfaction on top, is worth the effort of trying. Even if it makes a temporary fix until you can get to doing a more comprehensive job. I've communicated with a fellow in the UK who says he's done several of these repairs using various fittings and all have lasted years - so I guess time will tell on this one.

Now- if that fix didn't work - I might be doing as you suggest because I would have no other choice- except that I don't intend to use the van in winter at all so it's only been a slight inconvenience on cooler fall evenings so I could just as easily forget about it. in general though with issues like this, I won't until I have to, because for me, I get my joy from keeping it alive Vs making it new again (sure I can do some of that too but I like a hack too).
I managed to find a way into the heaterbox and "fix" the blend doors with hvac tape btw, without removing the entire dash (or cutting holes in anything lol) - I now have fully functioning heat! Probably my next post!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

Wow U never had the inlet to the heater break but my problem is lack of heat fan works and engine gets hot in fact almost boiling but still have limited heat..Could it be a clogged up core? The car came from the south where heat wasn't so importain..Thanks
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Wow U never had the inlet to the heater break but my problem is lack of heat fan works and engine gets hot in fact almost boiling but still have limited heat..Could it be a clogged up core? The car came from the south where heat wasn't so importain..Thanks

There are two likely causes.

1.) The heater core is plugged. You can flush it by removing the two hoses, and flushing with a garden hose. Go both directions.
2.) The foam cover on the blend flap has failed (they all do this) and isn't allowing you to get full output. It'll also cause you to be unable to go full cold, which is a bummer when you want AC in the summer.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

I've done two late model EV dash removals to replace blend door foam, core and blower. It's not that bad, but the sequence of re-installation can be kind of tricky. Having had two plenums apart, I can't imagine trying to charge someone else for a partial blend door fix. It needs to all come out.

I understand folks are just doing this on their own rigs and I hope it's just a temp fix in their minds, but knowing that there was also a ticking timebomb heater core in there would drive me crazy. They all fail.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
belky611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater core fix / hack Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:

Check the dash vents for foam debris - a sure sign that the blend doors have failed. I described how I handled that problem in this post; https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775856

Its cold as all get out here in Chicago and no doubt in VT as well - even if the method I describe is a temp fix and gets you heat for the winter - you win.

I don't intend to drive my van in the cold winter, but if I need it as a back up at least I know I have heat now.
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: