Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator light
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Alternator light Reply with quote

Hello
I am having an issue with the alt.light in my 73.
Rebuilt Bosch alt. New VR from laps. Pretty sure grounds all good.
In warm weather, at startup , the light will glow till I blip the throttle. So, right away.
Now that it is cold out, I notice that I have to rev. the engine more the colder it gets, to get the light to go out. I just fired up this morning at 15*F. Light will not go out. Took for a short drive and rev-ed it. Light staying on.
What is going on with cold temps. causing this?
Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Drive belt slipping?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Hello
I am having an issue with the alt.light in my 73.
Rebuilt Bosch alt. New VR from laps. Pretty sure grounds all good.
In warm weather, at startup , the light will glow till I blip the throttle. So, right away.
Now that it is cold out, I notice that I have to rev. the engine more the colder it gets, to get the light to go out. I just fired up this morning at 15*F. Light will not go out. Took for a short drive and rev-ed it. Light staying on.
What is going on with cold temps. causing this?
Thanks in advance!

That symptom usually suggests that one of your excitor diodes has blown. It takes away about a 1/3 of your charging capacity, and requires an extra 1/3 of rpms to do the cut-in.

With the morning cold, now add a battery that is less efficient, running voltage up to the idiot light and back to get the alternator woken up.

Today, it is possible that the alternator has given it up.

Try charging the battery overnight ( away from ignition sources above freezing themperatures ), let it warm up in the kitchen for an hour , then go stick it in the bus and start immediately and see if the idiot light goes out with a little rev. If no, tap your mechanical regulator with a screwdriver handle (don't bother a solid state regulator) with the engine at a slightly elevated rpm. Still no? Alternator.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Its also worth checking the alternator brushes are not worn down, and the brushes can move freely in the brush holders.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Some electronic parts can be defective but only show up as temperature sensitive. Go thru the alternator and VR checks as in Bentley or what Telford wrote below when it is not working to confirm the defect.

telford dorr wrote:
Back to the original problem: likely something wrong with the alternator or regulator.

Test:
- disconnect the regulator.
- connect Df (green wire) to D+ (red and blue wires) at the regulator socket with a jumper wire (6" #18 wire with a male spade terminal on either end).
- connect a voltmeter across the battery.
- start engine (DO NOT REV) and monitor battery voltage. It should increase with engine speed. If so, then regulator is bad. Otherwise, bad alternator (diodes or brushes).

NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW battery voltage to exceed 14.4 volts! In this test, we're running the alternator wide open, regulated only by engine speed. Use caution.

Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

I will certainly check the belt.
I have done those tests before, I will try them again. Or take it the three blocks to laps to have them test. They found that my first vr was bad, and the one they sold me went bad. Maybe now the third one is bad.
I will keep an eye on things. No heat out in the big sky garage, so will have to wait for a warm day. And I don't drive it as much in winter.
Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Is the trans to body ground strap clean and shinney? that's how the volts get back to the battery from a rubber mounted assembly.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

There was some solar gain out there today, so I did the Telford tests.
Seems my alt. is not working.
This unit has only @4000 miles on it. PO put it in, says "rebuilt" on it, it's a Bosch. Its , maybe, 5 to 10 years old.
What happens to these? Hope this isn't the life of the rebuilds these days.
I'll need to wait for the new year for time to dig in this deeper.
Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
There was some solar gain out there today, so I did the Telford tests.
Seems my alt. is not working.
This unit has only @4000 miles on it. PO put it in, says "rebuilt" on it, it's a Bosch. Its , maybe, 5 to 10 years old.
What happens to these? Hope this isn't the life of the rebuilds these days.
I'll need to wait for the new year for time to dig in this deeper.
Thanks!

depends how it died and what failed. I do assume that the dash light is an original and not a led or something like that.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

You don't mention if your VR is the classic Bosch contact points type or a modern solid state unit. There are decent VRs in the classifieds here. Those are the ones that work, and well. (not solid-state)
Also double check the plug into the VR itself, the issue(s) I've had amount to that harness, or one of it's wires failing to seat or work loose, & the Too Long Stud Syndrome you find on rebuilt alternators when replacing one.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

What I meant to ask was,
If the diodes went bad, what causes them to fail?
If it's the brushes, what causes them to fail? (Thinking out loud)
Alternator is not that old, I have gone through all wiring. Unit has worked fine for the 5 years I've had bus.
VR is solid state type from O'reillys. I had one of them fail (dash light staying on), so I did the Telford Test. It showed the Alt. was bad. Went to O'reillys, and their test machine showed the VR was bad. The store replaced it with the same style.All good to go till now. That was this past summer. Easy enough for me to have them test again , before taking thing too much apart.
This could be a repeat of that scenario. Hoping for easier solution than replacing alt.
Thanks all for your time! I have received lots of good info here getting this bus back on the road!
Jim
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
If the diodes went bad, what causes them to fail?

Main diodes: reversing the battery connections, even for an instant, will kill them. After that, lack of cooling air (damaged / missing air boot on type 4 engines).
Diode trio: these diodes can only handle around 3 amps, so any overload on the blue regulator wire will smoke them. On later bays, many things connect to this wire (indicator light, brake warning light, heater blower relay, etc.)

Quote:
If it's the brushes, what causes them to fail?

Mechanical wear, generally, although it takes a lot of miles to do so. They should have been replaced on any good rebuild...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Thank you Sir! Sirs!
Have not disconnected the battery in months, and I have made sure the cooling boot is intact.
How about this? Like I mentioned at first the alt light would glow till I increased the revs. Warm weather, light goes(went) out right away. Cold temps, have to rev a little more. Would turning on the booster fan when the light was on mess the diodes up?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Thank you Sir! Sirs!
Have not disconnected the battery in months, and I have made sure the cooling boot is intact.
How about this? Like I mentioned at first the alt light would glow till I increased the revs. Warm weather, light goes(went) out right away. Cold temps, have to rev a little more. Would turning on the booster fan when the light was on mess the diodes up?

Bosch rebuilds are known to be hit or miss. They may reuse diodes, near as I can figure. Also, the diodes are crystal structure & prone to failure (shattering)via shock. Which I do believe a little or a lot of tapping is done when reassembling a refurb alternator like these. They also smoke a diode if the battery, either cable, gets disconnected from the battery for who knows how many minutes while running.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Would turning on the booster fan when the light was on mess the diodes up?

No, but it would likely take a higher engine speed to fire up the alternator, as the fan relay sucks up some of the startup current from the ALT indicator light.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

It was warm today so I pulled the Alt.
Checked wiring to starter and to vr. All good.
I have the old alt the po gave me. The Haynes manual says the diodes must flow in only one direction. Check with test light at no more than 24 volts. It also mentions un-soldering the diodes first. I did not. I used my 20v drill battery test light.
Tested old alt. first, flow in both directions.
"new" alt same , both directions.
Obvious question is what happened?
I went ahead and bought the only alternator I could find. "Quality Reproduction " from Cip1, and they only had one.
Is there some place folks send cores in for rebuild these days?
Or are the diodes available, and straight forward to replace?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

I would hope that a town as big as Bozeman would have a mom and pop automotive electric shop.

I believe that the diodes are going to be common enough as they are likely the same as found in other Bosch alternator of the era. In the past I have scrounged wrecking yards for alternators (not necessarily Bosch ones) that I could take diodes and other parts from,
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

Diodes are available, but hard to find. You'll need a good medium sized soldering iron, 60/40 rosin core solder, and a solder sucker to disassemble them from the diode trio board. Work carefully, as things in there are somewhat fragile. Always unsolder the diode wire from the diode trio board, not the wire from the diode. NEVER put any force on the solid wire coming out of a diode - they cannot take a joke! If you need to bend this wire, use two pairs of pliers! Also, a cheap arbor press is handy to remove and install the diodes from the heatsink plate and alternator case.

Diode trio board above negative diodes:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Positive diodes, showing new diode installed:

Positive diodes:

A test stand is handy to test the finished alternator before reinstallation!
Type 4 alternator:

Type 1/2 alternator:

Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

I will check locally, there is one shop, maybe.
I would like to have a spare around.

In the pic of the t-4 stand, looks like you were building a bike wheel? Spokes?

Thanks all for your replys !
Jim
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator light Reply with quote

One more questions, Please.
I looked at my wiring. Big red wire says 10g/ 5.25mm. That is smaller than the 6(mm) , listed on the wiring diagram.
Bigger wire be better? What size?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: