Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I always offer a payment plan

1 you make payment

2 I plan on how I’ll spend your cash

You are welcome

I like that.

All of this reminds me of the free lawnmower by the corner. If you put a sign on it that says "free" it will sit there forever. If you change that sign to "for sale, fifty bucks" and chain it to the post, it will be stolen that night. Either way, you get rid of the lawn mower.

...and deduct $500 loss from your taxes, using the Wells Fargo guide

And no fat cats get jail time, or even a slap on the wrist. Just more money in their pockets.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I understand how you feel. You worked hard to have those things and the offers are really insults.

I don't know what to tell you. 10 years ago I listed some very good parts for sale FREE that maybe someone needed. In fact many times these days people place ads WTB for them. But there is only so much room in this house and the garage so it was important to let go. Someone here on TheSamba wrote me and said, "Hey I could sure use those things for a bus I am building. I'll take them if you'll pay the postage."

They went in the trash. Now when something doesn't sell in a week or so, it goes to the landfill. F'm I say now. Doesn't matter what it is or what it cost. I threw away a bus part that no one wanted for free if they just paid the real postage. It was in the trash covered in dog crap literally. Someone called and said pull it out I'll come by and pick it up. They went miles out of their way.
Some people are like pack rats, or dung beetles, make it shiny or throw dog crap on it and they will come running. Laughing

Five years ago a friend sold a working tool and die shop he had owned for 50 years. He made good money doing work with it. Each piece of equipment was like new, many pieces of equipment were less that fifteen years old. He had it listed with business brokers for four or five years, and no offers. No one wants to do that for a living these days. A majority of people want as much as they can get for as little work or money as they can spend. Colleges and Universities no longer require the ACT, SAT, or even LSAT. It is the same thing - no one works at it so no one can pass them but a few. My friend ended up auctioning his business and got about 3 to 5 CENTS a dollar for the equipment. It is probably in China now, or someone's hobby garage.

If you are getting more grief than it is worth, either give it to charity, scrap it, or offer it to a friend. I have four nieces who turned down $2,000 worth of their grandparent's fine china because they aren't into that. We only offered it because they are young and would eventually get it from me, their uncle anyway. Instead of me enjoying it for 10 more years, they could have it for 60 years plus. None of them knew there was an additional $7K in sterling silverware etc., that went with it. I didn't mention it because I figured they would take it for the silver and sell to a smelter.

So, if it means that much to you take it with you, be prepared to wait a long time for the right buyer, or give it to charity. Or maybe ask all your friends to come over on a Saturday morning and look like they are buying things from you. Maybe someone will stop wondering what is going on here, and make you an offer.

SK
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone replying! It wasn't a rant, but I also think some of the commenters also missed the point that I was making too.

Example: I go to a pick and get the items that I want, I keep those. To off-set fuel, trailer, hotel, meal I purchase in bulk with the intent to sell of those excess parts.

- 100% dry (stored in a pole barn) Split Window bus transaxle I list for $60 to get rid of it within 2 weeks of purchase.

"wOULD yOU tAKE $15? $20 iF u dELIVER (45 minutes in each direction"

Paraphrasing that one.

Another offer: "Do you take trades? I have a bunch of Craftsman tools that I took home from my company's jobsite that I don't need?

True story: so, stolen tools?

Again, people have offered me puppies, weird trades, and more. I was simply asking guidance as to whether by selling stuff on the cheap I should expect this as opposed to ratcheting it up to a level closer to market value.

No, I didn't work hard for any of it. My labor and time are worth nothing. Diesel, hotel, trailer, and meals are. No I am not hoarding, what I don't want or can use I aim to sell quickly. Because I don't want to store it or mess with it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

You have to learn to have fun with it...

Quote:
"wOULD yOU tAKE $15? $20 iF u dELIVER (45 minutes in each direction"

Yes. Plus another $100 when I arrive, in cash.

What kind of Puppies?

Can I get a Yellow Star for a Puppy?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
by selling stuff on the cheap I should expect this as opposed to ratcheting it up to a level closer to market value.

when you cater to the lower crust of society this is what happens. cheap prices= cheap people.

I figured out a long time ago when I became a mechanic that Volvo/VW/Audi/BMW people pay a whole lot better than the guy with a Buick and chose to repair eurotrash over domestic

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

1970PAKombi wrote:
I appreciate everyone replying! It wasn't a rant, but I also think some of the commenters also missed the point that I was making too.

I was simply asking guidance as to whether by selling stuff on the cheap I should expect this as opposed to ratcheting it up to a level closer to market value.

I'd say Yes but only because the few times recently I've put stuff for cheap online, it doesn't seem to sell or I get flakes.

I'd experiment and see what happens.

The big heavy stuff is often hard to sell at any price though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

I’ve found big stuff like my axle was easy, as I offered delivery built into the price. I have a China HF trailer that is worth its weight in Gold for crap like that

“I want your free stuff , can you deliver ?”

Sure , I’ll come over tomorrow at 10am. Then block the number and move on.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

A good thread ! .

I've been in the VW trade since the 1960's, I dropped out a few years back due to this sort of problem .

It's reasonable to want to get decent return but far too many are simply dishonest and/or don't want to work for what they want/need .

I too toss out lots of good stuff, I don't want to have my son deal with it when I die and he flat doesn't care about vintage VW's .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalized Selling Stuff 'Cheap' or Priced to Move? Reply with quote

Gotta be Craigslist...I stopped listing items on that because of the looney tunes that contacted me.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Craigslist Flakes Reply with quote

You're right about that ! .

Bottom feeders mostly .

Too bad being honest is out of style .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: