Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Severely warped door cards.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Anyone have luck straightening? I need some for my coupe- when I got it, entire interior was gutted except for dash and rear panels, which are black, so I guess I'll match them (though it came with some brown front seats). I actually can't remember what configuration my identical other coupe in storage has- brown seats and carpet, but door/side panels color???
Anyway, I dug these out from a car I parted, but they're really warped! I've read people have straightened this type of card (many older cars are similar) by wetting the backs and sandwiching between something flat and heavy. Obviously the map pockets can and would be taken off(I have sets of arm rests and doodads to trim out), how about the clips? I haven't studied them to see if they'll come out very easily, though, oddly, the car came with a whole stash of loose ones?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok, update: the clips come out pretty easily. I'm considering seeing if new backing panels can be made. I think the vinyl would come off.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

I have exactly the same black cards. Mine are in wonderful shape. Water warps them and water will fix them. Do this in warm weather or a heated garage for starters. I use a steamer and gently rebend by hand. Also helps to sandwich the bent area between two flat surfaces while steaming even more. Be patient and gentle. You may have to do this several times. Works for me.
Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

I realized I have an arrow straight set of these on some extra doors, but alas, some jackanape painted them white- the whole interior was done up like this on the car I parted. I may try to vinyl paint them back to black.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

I have used vinyl paint in the past with really wonderful results on my ‘66 Squareback. I did use the same color though...black. Never attempted to change colors but you could give it a shot. Back then it was a product called MarHyde. Worked really well to make the seats look new. Still that way today and this was applied 45 years ago. Take a look...
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! I think that looking around on the net, many are swearing by SEM products (given meticulous prep, using their whole system), but not sure how that would work OVER already painted panels. Confused BTW, did you really mean 45 years ago?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Yep. The seats were sprayed in 1975 when I was building this Squareback. Time flies... it’s hard to believe, really.
Bill
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Hi ubercrap,
I am looking for one of those plastic/chrome strips on the front door map pocket. Mine lost it’s finish and you said you have extra door cards. Maybe you have an extra trim/strip?
Bill
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

I'll check- Private message me.
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Forgot to update, I got one straightened and cleaned up- they can be saved! Will post pics soon.
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Super easy to fix the warpage; use a wet sponge and moisten the hardboard over and over, enough that it gets saturated. Wait a bit, then place a 2x4 or other flat wood over the warpage area, place some weights on the wood, wait a day or two - then do it again if there's still warpage. Worked perfectly for my old door cards this summer!
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

whobba wrote:
Super easy to fix the warpage; use a wet sponge and moisten the hardboard over and over, enough that it gets saturated. Wait a bit, then place a 2x4 or other flat wood over the warpage area, place some weights on the wood, wait a day or two - then do it again if there's still warpage. Worked perfectly for my old door cards this summer!

Great, I thought these were a goner, but of course, I was wrong!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

I laid my door cards on the lawn and pressed them flat with plywood & cinder blocks.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ubercrap
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Yes, one of mine is straightened now, I wetted and sandwiched and it's 97% better - good enough to use for now!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Severely warped door cards. Reply with quote

Once you get them really straight, dry them repeatedly clamped flat at low temperature. Don't get them too hot.

Once they are as straight as you like them, spray them with a very light coat of urethane. Really several light coats, letting them dry completely.

This helps to seal them up so the warping does not happen again. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: