Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon theft in Oakland
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:
dougnlina wrote:

Maybe I'll buy a van and rig it up so when someone climbs into it to try to steal it, the doors all lock, they get sprayed with skunk piss, purple ink, and it becomes a immovable locked van prison until I let them out. I could move it between Portland, San Francisco, and Oakland and catch a few scumbags a day.

BaitVan...we should do a kickstarter!

id probably check that out on youtube Laughing

There's something to this. It will be interesting to see how justice and/or revenge is achieved in the not-so-distant future.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

There's something to this. It will be interesting to see how justice and/or revenge is achieved in the not-so-distant future.

There is no justice in San Francisco/Oakland.

Thefts are mostly considered misdemeanors, rarely get investigated let alone solved and even if they are solved, they usually go unpunished.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Crime clearance rate of MVT is about 12%, nationwide. It’s popular to blame this one the other guys agenda but it’s never been a high point of LEO success.
csebern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Crime clearance rate of MVT is about 12%, nationwide. It’s popular to blame this one the other guys agenda but it’s never been a high point of LEO success.

Agreed. Unfortunately all the area LEOs I know are simply dejected by the lack of action/punishment by the criminal justice system.
They don't feel like they make much of a difference anymore and as a resident of the bay area, it's hard not to feel like crime here goes unpunished.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Differences in Law enforcement:
In the late 80s I lived in Philadelphia and drove a Beetle. One day I get a call from the cops, they have the tool box I kept in my trunk (Hey, It was a VW Beetle) Apparently a thief had broken into the car through the wing vent window, gone through the car and grabbed the tools and a few other things. Phila PD had seen the guy walking down the street with the tookbox and stopped to ask a few questions. Figured out he had stolen the tools, they had the guy show him the car it came out of, then they figured out the registered owner, looked me up in the phonebook, and called me. THAT type of policing would NEVER happen today, definitely not in SF, Oakland, or Portland. And probably not in Philly either. Too much work, not exciting, not worth the effort. I'd like to think it still works that way in small-town-USA. But probably not there either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

as a part time sf/oakland resident for a number of years... and currently a west oakland resident.

I was driving through the neighborhood the other day and saw 2 tintops sitting on the street and thought to myself.. in what mind would anyone even park a tintop on the street here?

When parking any car in sf or oakland, i clear everything off the seats/back. Nothing can be visible, not even a napkin or plastic bag of trash; ive had break ins to steal trash, pens, etc in the cars ive owned.

if you are driving a nice westy through the bay area you park indoors somehow (its damn near impossible) or you just go somewhere else

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Apparently it's no harder to steal a U-Haul truck than a Vanagon. You'd think car makers would have improved things by now. All the more reason to install tracking devices and kill switch systems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Wish me luck guys...I have to go to dinner tonight near San Pablo Ave in Oakland and park the van, probably in a laundromat parking lot that is well lighted. Kill switch will be activated and I'm going to try the seat-forward suggestion as well. Luckily the van will be visible from the window of where I'm going.

Terrible things got to be this bad.

One thing that has happened post-Prop 47 is that as felonies became misdemeanors, people stopped reporting them to law enforcement because, why? That means the actual rate of property crime may be much higher than the stats show. If there are 1,000 property crimes reported weekly in Oakland, but only one in four are actually reported, there are 4,000 crimes committed.

Anyway.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
One thing that has happened post-Prop 47 is that as felonies became misdemeanors

What was the logic/spin/message that the proponents had to get this seem like a good idea? I can't see any upside.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

would still like to hear from local...the first googol search is from the CA courts page

https://www.courts.ca.gov/prop47.htm

"Proposition 47: The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act"

I think I'll just start voting the opposite of the message given :-/

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
would still like to hear from local...the first googol search is from the CA courts page

https://www.courts.ca.gov/prop47.htm

"Proposition 47: The Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act"

I think I'll just start voting the opposite of the message given :-/

Well didn't it reduce the number of felonies? Checkmate!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Wish me luck guys...I have to go to dinner tonight near San Pablo Ave in Oakland and park the van, probably in a laundromat parking lot that is well lighted. Kill switch will be activated and I'm going to try the seat-forward suggestion as well. Luckily the van will be visible from the window of where I'm going.

Terrible things got to be this bad.

Just take the lead off your distributor. If you park illegally in the laundry mat. There may be a legal tow truck involved.

The thing is. You are in The Samba and know of the high theft rate of Vanagon’s in the area. Some towns along the west coast have many Vanagon owners that do not know of the Samba. These vans are like Subarus or any regular SUV. Owners still take them to shops to have serviced. My wife has a BMW SUV. I’m not on a BMW forum to learn how to work on it. It’s not in my wheel house. I can tinker with Aircooled and water cooled vans.

Some neighborhoods with a large population of Vanagon’s were built in the early 1900s without suitable garages. They get parked in a driveway or street. These are not necessarily rough neighborhoods. Just easily accessible to vagrants by mass transit.

Some cities have down and out people that may have owned or worked on Vanagon’s and know how to easily steal them.

You’d be surprised how many Vanagons I can get into and start without damaging anything.

Again, not every Vanagon owner thinks their van is unique. It’s like a Honda. You should see how many Hondas get ripped off.

By the way. 3 city’s in Colorado have the most car thefts per capita in the US. One being Denver at number 2 behind Bakersfield, CA. Im guessing a lot of Vanagon owners have garages in Colorado.

Don’t take a piss on a Vanagon owner that gets their Van stolen because they “Know Better” believe me I see many Van owners and question if they even have email.

Edit: My rant was not pointed at you Calfornio. Have a nice dinner with your friends.
Edit: “Was not”

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked

Last edited by Xevin on Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:
dougnlina wrote:

Maybe I'll buy a van and rig it up so when someone climbs into it to try to steal it, the doors all lock, they get sprayed with skunk piss, purple ink, and it becomes a immovable locked van prison until I let them out. I could move it between Portland, San Francisco, and Oakland and catch a few scumbags a day.

Yeah... kidnapping. Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:
dougnlina wrote:

Yeah... kidnapping. Laughing

If someone breaks into your house, and "somehow" gets stuck there, have they been kidnapped, or have they been caught in the act of a crime?
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Vanagon thieves just need a ride to the Train Station...
That's a lame Yellowstone reference.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

I have been thinking about this thread a lot. I certainly feel for the owner that lost all his possessions. I certainly would not have left my $700 bikes on a rack at night much less some very expensive custom bikes. But this is not really a Vanagon theft. This is a U-Haul truck theft. They dumped the van that could be easily identified kas quickly as they could. From a theft point of view, the U-Haul and the trailer and all that stuff have much more street value than the van. This is a different kikknd of thief than someone that wants a place to sleep for the night. I don’t know how this changes the conversation but this was probably professional thieves that can steal a modern car with anti theft stuff. I am glad he got the van back (I would be devastated if I lost mine). I pray he had insurance on the rest. If the owner of the van happens to read this I hope he understands our hearts go out to him and that we sincerely hope he comes out ok after the dust settles. John
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

+1000, John
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

Certainly a shame all around, but I must disagree with the challenges to having a discussion about it. The cancel culture phase of our civilization we find ourselves in has cost our country dearly. The core of this dangerous and divisive philosophy is that any discussion of a situation or an occurrence is de facto a bad thing.

I could not disagree more. Out of discussion, consideration of merits, pluses and minuses regarding the wisdom of certain decisions, and other factors of an occurrence comes the formation of a collective wisdom. As a civilization moves through decades and changes (from walking, to horses, to wagons, to cars, etc) we are faced with a constant stream of new things to process and an ever evolving layer of wisdom must be created.

So the place we find ourselves in now is that the world is moving on without the formation of wisdom due to this completely misguided cancel culture, born out of a desire to promulgate small streams of "progress" that stops the huge river of wisdom we used to create as we encountered the future.

This hapless fellow is a stand up guy. I'm sure of it. But he made a whopper of a bad decision parking in a city any consumer of news would know is ground zero for theft and uncontrolled crime. Heck, I don't even live in his STATE and I'm fully aware of it - how is/was he not aware.

If only one person here on the Samba changes the way they approach travel in, through or near these crime infested cities and avoids the result this guy experienced - isn't that enough of a benefit in having this thread? Should not there be this good resulting from his bad situation? I'm glad for the thread, sad for the guy that's the source of it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

IF God forbid I had to live in some shithole area like most of you (seem) to I'd be dropping laced bags of everything-fentanyl, crack, ecstasy etc and just let the bodies stack up. Problem solved. When you have rats, rat poison is 100% effective. My compassion left the building about 15 years ago.

Everyone got what they voted for. It just blows my mind that people vote party, not what's right. I've been known to vote both ways because I vote on a person's policies, not party affiliation.

I couldn't imagine living in a place where dogs step in people shit rather than the other way around

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon theft in Oakland Reply with quote

MAGA has entered the chat...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: