Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

B E A U tiful!!!
Would it be too difficult/not cost effective to add a potentiometer to the PCB to allow for LED brightness adjustment? Just thinking a bit of customization might be nice. I.E. - oil LED a laser in your eye while the blinker and brights dimmer then the illumination lights.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Impressive work! Thanks for sharing the beta testing adventures.
Beast McGee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

My 1982 air cooled would love a new foil, hint hint Very Happy
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

I'm in. Where do I send $$$?
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

You can PM me with your coordinates and I can either send you a Paypal link or email for e-transfer. Although, I am not sure if e-transfer works across the border or not.

For anyone interested in this, I have decided to include the shipping cost in the $160 ... for USA / Canada
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

would this work with the go westy coolant temp PCB that screws onto the back of the cluster?
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Yes, it will work. The foil is identical to the blue one except in color
bayleaf99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Two of my instrument lights have not worked for ages because I had damaged the foil in that area by trying to force the wrong LED bulbs into place. A local supplier had sold them to me as suitable for an 1987 vanagon but they clearly were not.

It turns out that Geato lives not far from me and when I contacted him, he asked if I was willing to beta test the new foil. Indeed I was so back in September, we installed one of his test foils in my 1987 westie with stock engine.

The foil is a thing of beauty. It's made from a very strong, probably indestructable, material called Kapton. It is very close to the stock foil in size and shape and is truly 'plug and play'. Installation was dead easy and took less time than removing the old foil.

I've been running with the new foil for three months now without a hiccup. My only concern, which I passed on to Geato, is that the blue bulb that illuminates when your highbeams are on was a bit on the bright side. I'm glad to see that he has fixed this in the production version.

All in all an excellent product and highly recommended.

Rick
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

I would like to purchase or be put on a list to purchase this new foil. How can I sign up?
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

@floodwood - I do have parts to assemble more. You can PM me with your address and email info and I can send you a Paypal request.
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Christmas comes early! Thanks Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Ho Ho Ho
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Neato! This looks like a great product.

The high-beam indicator is a conundrum: it's needed to be bright enough during the day when a driver may not know the high-beams are on but the indicator can be so annoying at night when it's easy to see that high beams are on just by looking down the road but the indicator and be distracting. Product design is not easy. OP, thanks for slogging down this road.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
The high-beam indicator is a conundrum: it's needed to be bright enough during the day when a driver may not know the high-beams are on but the indicator can be so annoying at night when it's easy to see that high beams are on just by looking down the road.

Have the same problem with my right turn signal. Instead of having a single one in the middle indicating right AND left turn at the same time, I switched to LEDs powered by the signal to the individual bulb. Since I'm a sailor the left turn is red and the right turn is green. Fine, but the right turn green one is WAY too bright at night. I'll be adding a relay when the weather turns so that when the headlights are on, there will be a pot in line with the LED so I can dial it down to the proper brightness, but keep it bright for day use. Once the pot is set, then I can forget it.

Duncan
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Greg got this out to me really quickly and provided great instruction for installation. Everything was very straight forward and the piece feels very durable.

My original foil was in rough shape, as you can see.

Here's a photo of the blanks and the blue lens for the LEDs that needed to be removed.

Removal was simple and the new piece fits right in.

I opted to solder a lead for the extra yellow LED for future use. I haven't thought of what to use it for yet but went through with adding it while everything was apart.

I did find that my twist-on, overhead LED bulbs had worn contacts and will need to be replaced, but I did confirm 12v to the terminals on the foil itself. Some new replacements should do the trick.

Thanks again Greg! Very Happy
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Nice installation shots. You even have a yellow wire for the yellow LED.
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Howdy everyone,

My clock died the other day and it turns out the root problem is my old blue foil. I’ve added my name to Greg’s list and I’m eagerly awaiting the new-and-improved unit Smile

My van has a Subaru ej25 and I’m thinking that the foil replacement would be a great opportunity to finally wire in a check engine light from the Subaru Ecu, especially given that Greg’s foil comes with a yellow led ideal for this purpose. I wonder if anyone out there can advise on how best to accomplish this?

Thanks for any tips!
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Quote:
My van has a Subaru ej25 and I’m thinking that the foil replacement would be a great opportunity to finally wire in a check engine light from the Subaru Ecu, especially given that Greg’s foil comes with a yellow led ideal for this purpose. I wonder if anyone out there can advise on how best to accomplish this?

I do not have a subie but it appears, consulting with the oracle, the ECU light is activated when the ECU pulls the LED line to ground. This will not work with the yellow LED on the foil as it is activated by applying 12V to it.

However, since you have a Canadian van, you can use the OXY warning light which is activated when that wire is pulled to ground. This doesnt help with US vans but maybe it is something I should consider.

Thanks for asking the question!

BTW - the OXY LED is on pin 14 of the connector.
R0ckyMtnCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Geato wrote:
I do not have a subie but it appears, consulting with the oracle, the ECU light is activated when the ECU pulls the LED line to ground. This will not work with the yellow LED on the foil as it is activated by applying 12V to it.

I was wondering about this as well.

Forgive my ignorance but would there be some sort of workaround here with the addition of more components?
Geato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New improved dash foil for '86 - '91 Vanagons Reply with quote

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but would there be some sort of workaround here with the addition of more components?

Yes it can be done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: