Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No tail lights
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: No tail lights Reply with quote

Hey Folks.
Finishing up wiring on my 74 w72 wiring harness. Do not have tail lights. Per scheme, I assume gray wire from 58 on my light switch goes to #2 fuse then out to direct run to tail light. But I’m not getting power at 58 nor 58b(dash light). Am I correct in assuming that the light switch is the power source for tail light? New switch and ‘emergency flasher sw as it was same with old ones. Any ideas???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

Do you have a volt meter? or perhaps a light bulb with some wires attached
You can use those to follow the voltage where the wires connect. One side on the connection and the other side to ground should light up when the tail lights are on

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

Yea I have a light tester, and I have traced it back to the 58 terminal on light sw
But there’s no juice coming off it. Nor the 58b which lights up the dash light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

is the X circuit wired up right? Without power on the X circuit the lights won't work. (yellow/black) on the wiring drawings.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

Ok so after researching it over in bug section I think I found my answer. In case anyone finds this post with the same problem here is my answer. There are TWO sources of power to light switch. 1) the black/yellow to X feed that is fed by the ignition key and this feeds the headlights and other is the RED 30 which is constant power and this is what feeds the tail light and dash light. Now I have to go back and find out why there is no power there. Will update.
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

To be clear it’s just the tail lights that were no working. Headlight, turn signals, 4way we’re all fine
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

EPETREA wrote:
To be clear it’s just the tail lights that were no working. Headlight, turn signals, 4way we’re all fine

Dash lights are working now?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

Yea evidently I can’t count or didn’t have glasses on. I parked the 30/red wire on #7 instead of 8. Viola, I have parking lights
EPETREA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: No tail lights Reply with quote

I also discovered that my new fuse block #2 Left from 58 on light switch does not power #1 and 2 on the right. Wiring scheme shows it to be interconnected but mine wasn’t. Only had parking light on one side. All good now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: