Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sand seal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: sand seal Reply with quote

I'm at the point where I've started rehabbing my engine before putting it in the car - new pushrod seals, new rear main seal, etc. When I bought the engine it had this EMPI aluminum degree pulley on it. I thought, no prob I'll just swap it out for an OE pulley. I picked up an original pulley from the classifieds, painted it, and was all set to install it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then when I pulled the aluminum pulley off I found this...derp. Sand seal Sad
Does anyone know if this is a machined-in sand seal, or is it removable?
If it's not removable, are there any sand seal pulleys that look remotely OEM? I really don't like the look of these 5-hole pulleys, not to mention they're mostly smaller diameter which means less cooling.
But I'm going for an OEM look with my engine, and a hot rod looking pulley just ruins the look. Any advice?
Or should I take this as a sign to ditch the OEM look and go dual carb, headers, and bigger P&C's? Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

Measure the shaft O.D. of the OEM pully and see how close it is to the O.D. of that seal (you can carefully pry it out). Stock motor just uses the dished washer to control oil so you can tell if the case was machined. Compare the O.D. of aftermarket shaft to OEM shaft if the same just leave the seal in.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

Can’t tell by the picture but either style can still be pulled off. Then you just have to measure the opening. There are solid sand seal pulleys that are stock diameter.
Paint one of those.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

You can have a stock pulley turned down to fit a sand seal. I had this done on a 36hp pulley.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

That is an Empi bolt in sand seal in an aluminum housing. You put some sealant on the outer edge of the aluminum housing and tap it in the opening of the case. You can remove it by taping it on the edge of the aluminum housing with a small thin punch. Work your way around as best you can.

You can see the photo of it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Assembly-Brand-...&psc=1

Maybe you can get some channel locks on it too and work it loose and out since the engine is out of the car.

FYI there are usually some sort of spacers slid over the woodruff key to space the sand seal pulley out further towards the back of the car to clear the seal and housing. Be sure to remove those with a magnet once you remove the seal with aluminum housing.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
That is an Empi bolt in sand seal in an aluminum housing. You put some sealant on the outer edge of the aluminum housing and tap it in the opening of the case. You can remove it by taping it on the edge of the aluminum housing with a small thin punch. Work your way around as best you can.

You can see the photo of it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Assembly-Brand-...&psc=1

Maybe you can get some channel locks on it too and work it loose and out since the engine is out of the car.

FYI there are usually some sort of spacers slid over the woodruff key to space the sand seal pulley out further towards the back of the car to clear the seal and housing. Be sure to remove those with a magnet once you remove the seal with aluminum housing.

That is a relief, thank you! So once I remove the seal and the spacer, is there anything that needs to go back in before the OEM pulley goes back on?
I was reading some of these sand seal pulleys use a longer bolt. Since it has a spacer, will I likely need to source a shorter bolt? What is the OEM bolt length?

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: sand seal Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
You can have a stock pulley turned down to fit a sand seal. I had this done on a 36hp pulley.

This thought had crossed my mind. I think this will be my back up plan.

I did wonder though if the seal would have any effect on crankcase pressure, since the OEM setup is an unsealed oil slinger basically. Are you seeing any leaks from other seals, that could be an indication of higher crankcase pressure?

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: