Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

I am sorry, but original side mirrors are just too small. There is a reason VW decided with bigger mirrors in 68. So you can see Shocked
I installed a wide view overlay on my rear view mirror and still realized, it was not enough when driving on an Interstate
I have decided to install 113857513D and 113857514D side mirrors. It is not the cost, it is the view.
I know only a few in the KC area will realize the bigger mirror install. But I will be happy. And, not planning any Car Shows either. Cool
There, I got that off my chest.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

I would never put anyone on blast for making a safety upgrade.

You do you. Thumbs Up

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

Is it blasphemy if I did the opposite and put little early mirrors on my 68 Squareback? It`s alright, because I just found a set of original 68 mirrors that will go on now
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

I put the stick on convex mirror on mine, the stock ones are useless for daily driving.
there is another option for a better rear view: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751159&highlight=rear+camera

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
I would never put anyone on blast for making a safety upgrade.

You do you. Thumbs Up

Good thing! I asked ISPwest to weld a nut to the inner door skin on my fastback passenger door so I could add a second mirror, and they didn't give me any shit about it! Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I put the stick on convex mirror on mine, the stock ones are useless for daily driving.
there is another option for a better rear view: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751159&highlight=rear+camera

Yes, these work well:
https://www.amazon.com/Grote-12164-5-Stick-Convex-...&psc=1
There is very little frame, and it sits flush on the stock glass. It's a little oversize, but not terribly so. I use them on both side mirrors on my Type 3.

I also ordered the camera linked for my camper Bus, but haven't installed it yet.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
I am sorry, but original side mirrors are just too small. There is a reason VW decided with bigger mirrors in 68. So you can see Shocked
I installed a wide view overlay on my rear view mirror and still realized, it was not enough when driving on an Interstate
I have decided to install 113857513D and 113857514D side mirrors. It is not the cost, it is the view.
I know only a few in the KC area will realize the bigger mirror install. But I will be happy. And, not planning any Car Shows either. Cool
There, I got that off my chest.

Sometimes it's better to do some things, and just not care if it's 100% correct. Kind of like adding seat belts. Your car might not have came with them, but you still put in a set, or like converting your 6 volt car to 12 volts, or "upgrading" to disc brakes. These are all the kinds of things that make a car more of a daily driver, rather than making it a "garage queen".
Personally, it's your car, your money, do what you want, and be happy being out driving it. Most people you run into won't know what or if you changed anything. Keep in mind that the beetle arms might be indexed wrong, and you'll just have to get used to how they sit.
Just my take on it. YMMV.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

Besides, these are bolt-on and can be 100% reversed for the purist.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Besides, these are bolt-on and can be 100% reversed for the purist.

Exactly. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Ossipon wrote:
I am sorry, but original side mirrors are just too small....

Sometimes it's better to do some things, and just not care if it's 100% correct....
Just my take on it. YMMV.

Well I nearly did the Japanese style Fender Mirror placement. Problem is, the fender mirror would look more like crap than stylish. Plus when I did a test, they did not have the view I wanted.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Blasphemy planned: 68+ side mirrors for my 64 Notch Reply with quote

get hold of a left and right 67 only larger pear shaped mirror.
it has about the same sufrace area as the squarer mirrors it
looks original but its just that bit bigger to give a better view.
did this on the panelvan as the view out of it is awful..

you cant tell the difference if its not parked next to another type 3 with the smaller mirrors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: