Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Superdiff in a daily driver.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I think there are two different part groups that are being discussed

-Gear carrier/differential housing
-Spider gear assembly

The common term 'super diff' refers to a HD gear carrier which is where the ring gear bolts to and houses the spider gear assembly. This HD casting if being used on the street needs to be drilled so there is proper oil flow over the spider gears.

Here is a comparison pic. Note how open the stock carrier is which allows the needed splash oiling on the spider gears.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super diff shown with oiling mods

The spider gear assembly in stock form only uses two spider gears. The 4 spider gear assembly or more commonly known as the 'beef a diff' helps spread the load to more gear teeth compared to stock set up. While this 4 spider setup is the usual upgrade when installing a HD gear carrier it can also be used in the factory carrier for an upgrade as well.

Stock 2 gear setup (swing shown)

Beef a diff

A super diff and a beef-a-diff are not the same. A beef-a-diff adds 2 extra spider gears but is supported by the original shaft. The super diff has the gears supported by the differential.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

RickS wrote:

A super diff and a beef-a-diff are not the same.

That was the whole point of my post. I added pictures to try to make it as simple as possible, sorry if I made it more confusing.
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
RickS wrote:

That was the whole point of my post. I added pictures to try to make it as simple as possible, sorry if I made it more confusing.

That’s not how I read what you wrote, but I get it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

RickS wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
RickS wrote:

That’s not how I read what you wrote, but I get it.

You did kind of add to the confusion a little.

Your bottom pic labeled Beef a Diff looks like it’s actually a Super Diff. A Beef a Diff was a block with a hole for the stock cross shaft with two stub shafts made into it with castle nuts on each end of the shafts. The idea was to install the part onto the stock spider gear cross shaft, then ad two extra gears to the stub shafts, then snug the castle nuts to adjust the mesh of the two extra spider gears to the side gears. A Beef a Diff was made to be used in the stock VW open differential with the two extra gears literally floating in the large opening of the stock casting, while a Super Diff has a full surround casting. Here’s a pic of two Beef a Diff sections to be installed in a stock diff casting. This pic is of two assemblies, but only one at a time is used.

And there shouldn’t be any issue daily driving a Super Diff. Although I don’t drive many miles anymore, I’ve easily driven two separate Beetles IRS/Swing 75k+ miles with no problems.,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

my search skills have failed me as I could not find any pics of the block style Berg kit or the Bugpack version so put in what I could. Thanks for clearing it up.
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

Here is what came in a Berg kit.
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

How much power can the 4 spider 10/15 and the 9/14 super diffs take.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

I hope no one considers this a derailment, but I cannot find the answer.

I am CONTEMPLATING purchasing a SuperDiff for my 1979 zigzag case gearbox into my '74 Super. Arguements aside as to necessity, what I'd like to know is if swapping out the differential is something the typical shade tree mechanic can do? Are there any VW special tools required or is set up complicated?

H2OSB
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

Does the shade tree mechanic understand bearing preload and gear backlash?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

I have a IRS super diff 10/15 in my turbo bug holding up great 5 seasons of abuse Laughing Easy swap ,,reuse the side cover on the Zigzag Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Does the shade tree mechanic understand bearing preload and gear backlash?

Not really..but YouTube does. Just kidding, it sounded funny(to me..to me).

I've read a lot on the subject over the years, but never actually dug my hands in. I just wanted to make sure there were no special jigs or measuring devices required.

Thanks
H2OSB
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
How much power can the 4 spider 10/15 and the 9/14 super diffs take.
Depends on the nut behind the wheel.

When I was much younger, I wasn't able to break a 10/15 stock diff.

Tooth counts are 11/17 for both IRS and Swing up to 72. After then, it was 10/15 for both, except Brazilian gearboxes.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Superdiff in a daily driver. Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
.... what I'd like to know is if swapping out the differential is something the typical shade tree mechanic can do? Are there any VW special tools required or is set up complicated?

Swapping a diff shouldn't be too hard. No special tools needed.

The pinion depth is unchanged, so the assumption is that it will be correct.

You will have to figure out a way to measure backlash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: