Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear luggage shelf repair piece
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I just purchased another '66. It's in really good shape except for 2 areas. The battery box and the rear luggage shelf.

I received a new repair panel for the battery box with the deal, but need to source a repair panel for the luggage shelf. From what I can tell it will cost me close to $400 for a new panel and to make matters worse I will need to cut it as I only need to replace the floor section and about 2inches of the bulkhead.

So... My question is does anyone sell a cheaper repair panel or a smaller repair panel?

Thanks,

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

You can check with http://www.restorationpanels.com/, i know from other threads here that he has custom made panels on occasion when workload has been slightly lower, but dont expect cheap though. But from what i have seen the quality seems worth it!

Regards
Tobias
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I would try to get one cut from a donor car. Should be much cheaper this way. Post a wtb ad, search local junkyards, ask around at swap meets or your local VW club, etc.
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I'll see of I can locate one local and cut it out. Thanks for the help!

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Note ; the 66 package shelf DOES NOT have the hole and indention on the right end for cables ; that is 67 up ...
One source was selling this incorrect piece to 66 iowners , it will fit but is NOT correct........
Twisted Evil cover it with carpet , nobody will know but US Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I was wondering about that hole as it is not present on either of mine. Thanks for that tidbit of info Grandpa Pete.

Ron
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
Note ; the 66 package shelf DOES NOT have the hole and indention on the right end for cables ; that is 67 up ...
One source was selling this incorrect piece to 66 iowners , it will fit but is NOT correct........
Twisted Evil cover it with carpet , nobody will know but US Twisted Evil

I have two 67s with rusted luggage shelves. Neither has the hole that is present on the replacement piece. Is this really 67 and up?

Also, what are the bolts for on the replacement piece? Nether of mine have these either. Are they to hold the engine sound absorber in place of the metal tangs?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I may be mistaken, but I believe the hole is the pass through for the wiring for the fuel injection ECU -- so '75 and up would be more likely. I do know my '72 did not have a hole there.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I note that Cip1 is now carrying the luggage shelf side panels ...where the luggage shelf mates up with the rear wheel housing ...its about time!!
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-813-101
fla2smoker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
I note that Cip1 is now carrying the luggage shelf side panels ...where the luggage shelf mates up with the rear wheel housing ...its about time!!
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-813-101

WolfsburgWest has been selling those panels for a while here in the USA. Not sure on the quality but the price is much cheaper as well.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_sheet_metal/bug_sheet_metal/rear_luggage_shelf.cfm
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Yes...I stand corrected: I knew that WW was selling them, but with the 30% money exchange rate, plus shipping to Canada, it makes them about the same price as Cip1 Canada sells them for ($107 CDN) (with free shipping in Canada). I put the Cip1 USA link in my other post, knowing that most 'forummers' are likely in the US. Didn't realize that Cip's price was 50% higher though. They must be getting them from the same place, right? Still less expensive (and less work) than replacing the entire luggage shelf ....With the side panels, you can cut out and use only the small section you might need.
kernowbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knows whether the US market beetle came with a different boot floor to the UK/European market beetles?

I ask as I am currently in the middle of repairing the boot floor of my 1970 1300 and having order repair panels, they came with the groove for locating the cables but my existing boot floor does not have this nor the hole in the rear wall as shown on photo put up by grandpa pete?

All the replacement panel and complete boot floors I can fin in the uk (even the ones sold as 'original vw') all have the hole in the back and groove for cables?

I'm beginning to wonder whether mine has been replaced at some point by a previous owner and they put the wrong one in or a US one?

thanks
kernowbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

sorry forgot to say hi and introduce myself first! I've only put up a couple of posts before so didn't mean to be rude!
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Just fill the hole in the new panel and remove what doesn't belong. It's not like it will ever be seen, besides unless it's welded in by a pro and ground smooth front and back folks will know it's a replacement panel.

Or, you could do what I ended up doing and have a panel cut out of a donor car. Only cost me $50...
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I have a 58 Beetle in the shop, my question is I have 4 metal bars I assume are for the back of the rear backrest, the old rear seat cover doesn't have any holes in the flat cardboard to locate them to this panel. could it be a different later year seat? when did the metal luggage protector strips appear in the beetle years?
Kevin
The Aussie trimmer
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

might not be doing yourself any favours by tagging your trim query onto a body panel thread....however

I think the card with rear luggage rails ended in july 59 and the 1960 model was without them, here are photos of original '59 and '60 rear seat backs

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

A PO patched the shelf on my '65 with a flat sheet of steel. He was a terrible welder and it looks awful - until you cover it with carpet. The car drives fine.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

I'm not a great welder either, so mine will also be covered

I got mine from a donor car as well. I would recommend that route.
It'll fit well and you'll only have to do a section.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
ODDER316
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

Cribbs74 wrote:
I just purchased another '66. It's in really good shape except for 2 areas. The battery box and the rear luggage shelf.

I received a new repair panel for the battery box with the deal, but need to source a repair panel for the luggage shelf. From what I can tell it will cost me close to $400 for a new panel and to make matters worse I will need to cut it as I only need to replace the floor section and about 2inches of the bulkhead.

So... My question is does anyone sell a cheaper repair panel or a smaller repair panel?

Thanks,

Ron

Sent you an email. I have a 66 parts car I’ve been cutting parts off of. Not too far from you.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage shelf repair piece Reply with quote

ODDER316 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:
I just purchased another '66. It's in really good shape except for 2 areas....

Sent you an email. I have a 66 parts car I’ve been cutting parts off of. Not too far from you.

I would point out the original post was from 6years ago (2016). Shocked

But as with many VW projects, the OP may STILL be looking for a replacement panel. Surprised
I'm sure they will still appreciate your offer. Wink
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: