Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric vehicles are bad
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
MASS x ACCELERATION = FORCE.

Science.

Tesla >> econobox

Darwin
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Science.

Tesla >> econobox

Darwin

That's a pretty insensitive comment. Rolling Eyes People that drive econoboxes obviously can't/won't throw a pile of money at a Tesla.

So that's Darwinism?
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
steve244 wrote:
This just in:
We're being lied to about electric vehicles.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/

Thanks, that’s the kind of information I’m looking for. That doesn’t me I fully trust everything thing on the internet but it’s part of researching what is true and what is BS. Some good take aways in that article.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
. . .That motortrend article sited every far left rag out there. Not one datapoint was made from a middle ground organization NPR? you couldn't get any further left than those folks

Sorry Xevin, but skills is right. That Motortrend article had a few too many holes in it to be taken at face value. The guy who wrote it appears to have gotten all his information from a New York Times article, who got their information from a single college thesis written by some students at the U of Michigan. The study was funded by the Ford Motor Company (take what you will from that). Several mistakes were made in this study, for which they later had to publish a corrigendum.

The article also bases a lot of its rhetoric on the assumption that in the near future, all of our energy needs will come from renewable sources. In case anyone hasn't noticed, this assumption is one of the key pillars supporting the pro-EV argument.

P.S. Did anyone else notice that the cobalt mine in Idaho is owned by an Australian company? Seems like the American slice of this pie is gettin' smaller and smaller every day.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
Xevin wrote:
steve244 wrote:
This just in:
We're being lied to about electric vehicles.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/

Thanks, that’s the kind of information I’m looking for. That doesn’t me I fully trust everything thing on the internet but it’s part of researching what is true and what is BS. Some good take aways in that article.

. . .That motortrend article sited every far left rag out there. Not one datapoint was made from a middle ground organization NPR? you couldn't get any further left than those folks

Sorry Xevin, but skills is right. That Motortrend article had a few too many holes in it to be taken at face value. The guy who wrote it appears to have gotten all his information from a New York Times article, who got their information from a single college thesis written by some students at the U of Michigan. The study was funded by the Ford Motor Company (take what you will from that). Several mistakes were made in this study, for which they later had to publish a corrigendum.

The article also bases a lot of its rhetoric on the assumption that in the near future, all of our energy needs will come from renewable sources. In case anyone hasn't noticed, this assumption is one of the key pillars supporting the pro-EV argument.

You and I see the same things in the article. However it brings up a couple bullet points worth investigating. Maybe valid, maybe not. I don’t believe everything I read on the internet. I do try to be objective until I’m not Wink
I appreciate people offering up information to explore. I’m no expert on any of this.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

There has been and always will be vehicles of all different sizes and weights colliding on the roads. Nothing new to see or discuss here folks, nothing specifically EV related move along...
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Electric vs. gasoline efficiency
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man, I don't want you to think I'm picking on you, that's not my intention, at all.

But these graphs really need to be exposed for what they are. Every single one of the numbers shown here was cherry-picked to make ICE look a lot worse, and EV's look a lot better, than they really are. The numbers are not exactly lies, it's just that they're not always true.

We already discussed most of this a few pages ago. 16% efficiency for an ICE is only true if you look at the worst ICE on the road. The best ICE is over 50% efficient. Where is that number on the chart? Conversely, only the best EV's are 87-91% efficient; the worst are much lower. And that 87-91% is only when you include that magical "regenerative braking". 22% is pretty good! Except for when you don't do any braking, 'cause then it's 0%. That's also not on the graph.

They did, at least, include the losses incurred at the charging station. Unfortunately, they forgot to include the losses at the power plant and transmission lines, which are kind of important since that's where an EV's "original fuel" actually comes from.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
You and I see the same things in the article. However it brings up a couple bullet points worth investigating. Maybe valid, maybe not. I don’t believe everything I read on the internet. I do try to be objective until I’m not Wink
I appreciate people offering up information to explore. I’m no expert on any of this.

Well said.

The Force is strong with this one.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
You're serious, aren't you.

Scary.

What's scary is you drink this stuff up without question or hesitation. Jim Jones would have been proud

Bottoms up

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

EV gives you the ability , in the future , to move transportation energy from fossil to non fossil fuel sourcing. It also gives you the chance to sequester Carbon at the power plant.

It’s that simple , and they are here now because:

They are more economical for a large segment of commuters
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
EV gives you the ability , in the future , to move transportation energy from fossil to non fossil fuel sourcing. It also gives you the chance to sequester Carbon at the power plant.

It’s that simple , and they are here now because:

They are more economical for a large segment of commuters

This conjures up visions of some hardcore Orwellian caste systems…. Let’s just sprinkle in some CBDC…

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
In 1974 my bug was no match for a Ford LTD

Brings back memories - my parents bought a brand new LTD in the 70s and we nicknamed it "The battleship" because that thing was so big, solid and heavy.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Some info on why Co2 and other greenhouse gases trap heat

Quote:
This ability to absorb and re-emit infrared energy is what makes CO2 an effective heat-trapping greenhouse gas. Not all gas molecules are able to absorb IR radiation. For example, nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2), which make up more than 90% of Earth's atmosphere, do not absorb infrared photons. CO2 molecules can vibrate in ways that simpler nitrogen and oxygen molecules cannot, which allows CO2 molecules to capture the IR photons.

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/how-climate-w...-radiation
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

In an open atmosphere, that heat is almost instantly released back to the air. Unlike water vapor which is the real greenhouse gas.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
You're serious, aren't you.

Scary.

What's scary is you drink this stuff up without question or hesitation. Jim Jones would have been proud

Bottoms up

slurp, slurp.

I like premium, and have no problem setting someone's credit card or check book on fire.

The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Science.

Tesla >> econobox

Darwin

That's a pretty insensitive comment. Rolling Eyes People that drive econoboxes obviously can't/won't throw a pile of money at a Tesla.

So that's Darwinism?

I know I was deeply offended.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

The extra greenhouse gases cause extra heating

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

this one has a little better detail

steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Well, water vapor does have a stronger greenhouse effect than CO2. (60% to 25%)

It's just that we can't control water vapor as well as we can CO2.

Plus, adding to the greenhouse effect with CO2, increases heat, which increases the air's capacity for water vapor, and evaporates more water increasing the greenhouse effect.

Runaway!!!!
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

greenhouse gas concentrations are much higher now than at any point in human technological civilisation

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Electric vehicles are bad Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
greenhouse gas concentrations are much higher now than at any point in human technological civilisation

From “0” to “2005”…. When was “0”? I’m pretty sure there weren’t any data points from the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, definitely not before it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 76 of 235

Jump to: