Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fywheel Drama
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all. I have a 67 type 1, with a 1600 Ah engine. So I had to take out my engine cuz of oil leaks and a grinding noise when I would start up the car. I would like to ask for help on why me flywheel teeth are torn up, and the trans housing looks a war zone. My starter looks fine in that the teeth look good also .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

Probably your starter shaft bushing is worn, and the starter shaft is flopping around chewing the gears on the flywheel.

I would suggest replacing the flywheel and the starter with a self-supporting auto stick starter. That does not need the bushing. I bought a rebuilt one from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty that works great. With coupon I paid less than $60.

People here tend not to like anything that that is not German, but I am very happy with my aftermarket starter and flywheel. They work great for me.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

check end play of the engine..make sure gland nut is tight to specs
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

The flywheel is obviously rubbing on tne the trans case. Has the trans been swapped out for a 6 volt trans? Looks like the rub marks are close to what needs to be clearancef to fit a 12volt flywheel into a 6 volt trans case. Or something is loose, or excessive end play as already mentioned.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

That's not a 6v starter running against a 12v flywheel is it?
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all. My car is 67 12 volt. Will ck end play . Question would not having the 2 mounting bolts do this ? I notice that one bolt was missing and the other one was loose. Talking about the top bolts. Thx all Very Happy
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

Yes it would
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

theduck wrote:
Shocked Hello all. My car is 67 12 volt. Will ck end play . Question would not having the 2 mounting bolts do this ? I notice that one bolt was missing and the other one was loose. Talking about the top bolts. Thx all Very Happy

It doesn't matter what your car is, it matters what someone bolted to it. You can bolt a 6v starter to a 12v car...

Of course having your engine falling off can cause misalignment and damage.
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

Shocked Understood.so I checked, my starter is a 12 volt,flywheel is a 200mm. As for the trans, the seller stated it was late one, but as we all kn,people will said anything to get a sale. So when I installed the 1600 engine it when in easy, no issues. If it was a 6-volt trans,it would not slip in right? When I would start the car I would hear a grinding sound. So, I thought it was the starter, so I changed it. The noise didn't stop. Confused
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fywheel Drama Reply with quote

I’d say your transmission mounts look bad allowing the engine to “hang” more especially if any of the top engine bolts are loose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: