Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ACN super squishies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Is that the "hand work" you did to the gears?

I don't think electrickery works that way
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

The grey is simply lube...

If you look at the teeth on the crank gear, you can see that the gears are black, look at the edges of the teeth you’ll see the silver around the edges. That’s where I cleaned the edges with 400 grit sand paper. Those edges were super sharp (would scrape your skin), so I just cleaned them up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
The grey is simply lube...

Gotchya Wink
txoval wrote:

If you look at the teeth on the crank gear, you can see that the gears are black, look at the edges of the teeth you’ll see the silver around the edges. That’s where I cleaned the edges with 400 grit sand paper. Those edges were super sharp (would scrape your skin), so I just cleaned them up

I wouldn't necessarily expect the sharpness of those edges to contribute to the noise; the amount of material you removed is probably inconsequential WRT the overall runout/variation in the mesh. The tighter backlash is probably exacerbating any deviation in the alignment of the crank/cam tunnels in your case (which may have been fine with the increased lash of your previous gearset). But, if you're curious whether the run-out of your cam gear, or the flange on your cam, might be contributing to the issue, you can pull your oil pump and put a dial indicator on the face of the cam gear...it might at least tell you whether there's a significant variation in axial runout to worry about.

Or, just run it until you're sick of the noise. Very Happy

I don't think electrickery works that way
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Yep, just going to run it. This a fun car...car shows, cruises, take the kids to soccer practice, occasional trip to Baytown to run down the track.

If I drove it more, I’d probably be thinking about taking it apart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
First set I have ever had that were loud...

Loud as the SloVal car

Here’s a good comparison to gear noise

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DUDm2DVMiGk

Oh yeah.. that’s definitely louder than usual
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I would do some work to the gears, possiably even use a old case & bearings and lap the gears. then dfl coat them,no way could I live with that noise.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Yeah Mark, we’ll see how long I can take it. I have not driven the car in 7 months, so will put some miles on it and see if they quiet down as they wear in.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

How is the new engine doing?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Doing well, I only have about 50 miles on it.

I beat the tar out of it on Thursday afternoon, low 90’s. Oil temps hit 200 pre-cooler and 190 post cooler. My fan kicks on at 185 and the thermostat is on the outlet side of the cooler. I do not run a stock cooler, just external.

This will several runs from 2500 to 6000 and even had the car cruising at over 100mph for a bit.

Engine has a ton of torque from 2500 up. Starts easy and idles smoothly. The gear noise is still hard to get used to at idle, but once driving I don’t think about it.

Overall I’d say the SS pistons are probably not for everyone and take some work.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

You need a louder exhaust... like an A1 with the pipe exiting under the car so it drones obnoxiously.. you'll appreciate the straight cut gears after that.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Mine run 200 deg at 25 deg advance and 87 reg gas street and can dig out. Not super fast but can light up the tires. Aloha
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

maui wrote:
Mine run 200 deg at 25 deg advance and 87 reg gas street and can dig out. Not super fast but can light up the tires. Aloha

Is that oil temp or cylinder head temp? How much compression?

txoval, what CHT and compression are you running?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I do not run a CHT gauge. I could take some infrared shots next time while running/after hard run.

C/R is 10:1 (static). I did not go crazy with mine
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

Oil temp and at 10t1 Comp. It take awhile to get up to temp but I don’t know about it being too cool. Aloha
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

With ACN ceasing to exist.
Is that the end of SS?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

John just posted a day ago…maybe worth asking him

Website still works?
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

I don't want to bother John but wonder the same thing.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Is that the end of SS?

Is this true? I haven’t heard of this.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: ACN super squishies Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
UK Luke 72 wrote:
Is that the end of SS?

Is this true? I haven’t heard of this.

Read his feedback topic.

Covid, supply chain, staffing and other issues, so he's taking a break and will hopefully restart in some form.. .fingers crossed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: