Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

My buddy brought over his 57 with a busted clutch cable. We threw in a stock replacement which ended up being about 1/2" short.

57 Bus. Lollipop mount. Early 12v center section w/o the t/o bearing sleeve.

Pulled the cable and it appears to be the correct 3116mm measured from the center of the clevis pin to the end of the cable. We also installed a new bowden tube that is the same length and put 3 thick washers on it as is customary. We flipped the clutch pedal piece to try and eek out a few more threads. No dice. Removed the washers on the bowden tube and tried again. We were able to get the threads started and got about 5 threads secured. Fired up the bus and it was clear the cable is still too tight. We were able to get it in gear and drive but the t/o bearing rubbing the p/p.

We ended up pushing the clutch pedal in and vice gripping it down for the night in hopes of it stretching. I've never had this much of a problem so I'm stumped. Any ideas?

NAES
SBS #00
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

NAES wrote:

Pulled the cable and it appears to be the correct 3116mm measured from the center of the clevis pin to the end of the cable.

That is the correct cable. I did mine a couple of months ago (October '56 truck with a '67 transmisssion and the lollipop mount).

It is very tight at first. I was surprised at how few threads it needed on the adjuster. The old cable must have stretched a lot in the years prior to it finally breaking...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9934852&highlight=#9934852

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
We flipped the clutch pedal piece to try and eek out a few more threads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the way it should be....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

Best drawing ever!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

If the lever at the pedal end is the right way round. I wonder if the issue might be the clutch release arm?

Not sure if yours has the the bent arm, or if that might affect the cable fit?

The 3116mm cable works fine with the straight arm (that's what I have on my gearbox).

This thread shows the different arms https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689546

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

OK Hazet you definitely win the internet today!

I'm not sure what else to do other than leave it and let the cable stretch.

Thanks for the links who.me?

NAES
SBS #00
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

Oh, I love the drawings! Genius stuff… Laughing

Bill
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

Some of the aftermarket throw out shafts have the splines clocked wrong, making the arm in the wrong position
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
We also installed a new bowden tube that is the same length and put 3 thick washers on it as is customary.

Where is the washer number from?
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

Something I picked up years ago and have used ever since. Most in my circle do the same.
SBS #00
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

The washer number is chosen By the spec ofBowden cable sag, not just a fixed number. If you take some out, you can run it for a bit to stretch the cable. The sag removed clutch chatter by adding some friction to the cable, but you can eliminate said chatter with good clutch technique until the cable stretches
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable coming up short. 57 with 12v trans Reply with quote

Just doinng wjat has worked for me in the past.

Right now there are no washers on the bowden tube and its still short. It'll get sorted soon enough
SBS #00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: