Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BotanyBandit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
BotanyBandit wrote:
On the plus side the cremation will probably be free !

Car fire isn't hot enough to cremate a human body.

Well damn, guess there's no upside.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
h~moto wrote:
My European model `66 has a shoulder belt but no lap belt.

My U.S spec '66 also had only diagonal shoulder belts when I bought it.
The car was purchased on the Tourist Delivery program and the original owner had the belts installed by a VW dealer in Germany before it was shipped over here. (I have the receipt.)
I have since installed the Wolfsburg West 3 point belts.

My neighbor's late build '66 had two-point shoulder belts installed by the St Louis dealership where it was originally sold. They were wrapped in tape and never used. The two point belts typically installed in Germany at this time were Klippan brand that had silver-blue webbing.
cherylbug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

I have a 66 Euro bug too and bought lap belts, but then found only the outside pillar mount on the upper part of the side piller, 5-6" below the hand strap. How the heck do you have a two point shoulder mount belt? Does anyone have any pics?

Where can you purchase these replacement belts?

I have lovely blue lap belts now that I can't use unless I drill and reinforce the hole in the floor.

TIA
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

cherylbug66 wrote:
I have a 66 Euro bug too and bought lap belts, but then found only the outside pillar mount on the upper part of the side piller, 5-6" below the hand strap. How the heck do you have a two point shoulder mount belt?

Two point shoulder belts were a bad idea and shouldn't be replicated even if your car came with only those mounts. Unfortunately it took a while before everyone agreed that seat belts should be three point or at least lap belts. It's not unreasonable to drill the extra hole for the lap belts. It was a common mod by dealers back then.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
cherylbug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks, just hate the thought of drilling through the floor. That just takes away the fun of being able to think of your car as being amphibious and able to float. Smile
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

I purchased a set of lapbelts for my '66 from WW and used this thread as my guidance for installing them. It was quick and easy. I used copious amounts of black RTV sealant in and around the bolt, washer, and nut on the underside. I have no doubts they are sealed. I also plan to put it up on the lift, paint over them with some type of sealant, then Rustoleum gloss black which I used to paint the pans in the first place. If I ever need to take them out (can't imagine why), I'll hate life for a bit. But I'm not too worried about it. Mine is not a daily.

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
cherylbug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Good to hear! I was only half joking about wanting to preserve the ambphibious nature. I just think it is way cool.

When I was in college, my then boyfriend and I had a series of 13 VW's from a 1960 beetle through a 1973 Super beetle with a couple of buses and transporters in between. I am just getting back to the hobby as I had gotten rid of my 1966 when I got pregnant with our son 21 years ago. I vowed to get another one and I'm dusting the cobwebs off of my brain getting familiar with bug maintenance again.

What a beautiful machine though!
funkeefresh69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

...I have since installed the Wolfsburg West 3 point belts.

I am in the process of fitting my '66 with 3-point seat belts as well. How did you like them from Wolfsburg West? There are so many after market options and its hard to know what'll be the best fit.

I've also heard the SeatBeltsPlus offers a decent retractable version: https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/zvw20a-wsch3...u8QAvD_BwE
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

funkeefresh69 wrote:
iowegian wrote:

...I have since installed the Wolfsburg West 3 point belts.

I am in the process of fitting my '66 with 3-point seat belts as well. How did you like them from Wolfsburg West? There are so many after market options and its hard to know what'll be the best fit.

I've also heard the SeatBeltsPlus offers a decent retractable version: https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/zvw20a-wsch3...u8QAvD_BwE

I like the Wolfsburg West belts even though they are not retractable------you just have to remember to keep track of them to avoid slamming them in the door upon exiting the vehicle.
They look good-----very similar color to the German Klippan shoulder belts.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

Nice original upholstery Platinum seats! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

I put a set of Empi retractable three point belts in my 65. They are working out great. My original pan had seat belt attachments welded into the floor pan, as well as the attachment points on the B pillar, and tunnel. I cut out the pan points, and welded them into my new pans.

nitro_rat Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts for 1966 Beetle Reply with quote

Here’s a good link for installing 3 point belts in a bug without anchors:

https://www.julianos.com/Articles.asp?ID=247

Samba advertiser Wahsburn’s Metal Works makes a nice replica of the floor reinforcement plates for seatbelts:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2564872
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: