Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

I am lining my ducks in a row and doing all my preliminary work.
This brings me to the lifters.
I have seen many videos of people doing things like Hoover mods., notching lifters, etc.
The main parts houses like CB, Scat, CIP1, and on and on do not sell them this way.
So if the design isnt broke why fix it?
Does it really benefit the lubrication?

Last edited by Bug53 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Yes, do ur research Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Yes, do ur research Wink

I researched it to death.
I believe it will add to lubrication but I can't help wondering why the major manufacturers aren't doing it and cashing in?
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Yes, do ur research Wink

I researched it to death along with the Hoover mod.Most suggested not to bother with the Hoover mod. but do the lifters
I believe it will add to lubrication but I can't help wondering why the major manufacturers aren't doing it and cashing in?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Major Manufuctors copy "Stock" Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

If you own the drill bit and a cutoff wheel the mods are free to do.

There’s nothing to sell.

What’s That Noise?!?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Berg sells their lifters with this option

take your time and do it
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Some of the tool steel lifters sold have a wide oil channel, which serves the same purpose. If you have stock lifters you can modify them. If you are bushing the case, then you can add the groove to the case side. I think which you choose depends on what you're starting with, and what your comfort level is.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Some of the tool steel lifters sold have a wide oil channel, which serves the same purpose.

An excellent point.

Most aftermarket lifters are Scats and they have wider grooves.

What’s That Noise?!?
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
esde wrote:
Some of the tool steel lifters sold have a wide oil channel, which serves the same purpose.

An excellent point.

I have brand new CB lightweights.
I have all the tools etc.
No problem doing it.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
If you own the drill bit and a cutoff wheel the mods are free to do.

There’s nothing to sell.

Drill bit?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

For Hoover mod…connecting rear cam bearing oil port to lifter port on 1-2 side of case
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
For Hoover mod…connecting rear cam bearing oil port to lifter port on 1-2 side of case

I have heard from many on here (the samba) not to bother with the hoover cam bearing mod.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
txoval wrote:

I have heard from many on here (the samba) not to bother with the hoover cam bearing mod.

I'd say if you're not going to do the hoover mods to the case, there's probably not much benefit to grooving the lifters.

I've done full Hoover mods to a couple of cases now, my understanding is that grooving the lifters is mostly to support the increased oil flow from the oiling mods done to the case

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

If you review the oil pathways in the case this mod makes perfect sense and evens the flow between each side of the engine and provides more oil to the 1/2 head/rockers.

Will your engine work without…of course, but why not make it better.

Make this mod and slotting the lifters will provide full time oiling thru the pushrods to rockers to heads. If someone can explain why this is a bad thing I’d be shocked.

Also, these two mods are simple to complete and take very little time
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
esde wrote:

I initially had a set of new Scat lifters sent out when I bought the case from them. One of VWDarrin's You Tube offerings had a portion where he showed the inconsistency of the newer Scat lifters which are not blister packed but packaged bulk in a bag. The section between the oil slots on some were so thin they would have offered almost no support to the lifter bore in that area. I realize there probably aren't excessive forces at work here but sent them back because the inconsistency overall was exactly as he alerted me to. I have an EP12 cam so going to CB lightweights was my choice. The CB's are all exactly the same and have a wider center section which I wanted to see.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters or not? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

The way I am seeing this Hoover Mod. after studying the case halves and oil passages I can see benefit in porting out the center cam bearing posts on both halves of the case for getting extra oil to let's call it the "low pressure" side of the case and balancing it out a bit with benefit up the 1 & 2 cylinder pushrods.

The part that seems to be not worth the risk ( of course there is risk) in drilling under the rear cam bearing post on the right side of the case the only benefit is more oil to that side of the cam bearing and that being the only benefit. The only thing it connects is the No.2 exhaust lifter bore with the bearing post and maybe on the extreme adding extra oil dumped off of that bearing onto the cam gear and slinging it around.

Correct me if I'm not seeing something here. I am very interested in this.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.geneberg.com/popup_image.php?pID=415
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

By completing the drill mod you’re creating a second path of oil to the lifters > pushrods > head.

More available volume so that when you slot the lifters you get the additional oil to the heads.

Porting the oil slots in the cam bearing saddles is the one I don’t do. With the second path it’s unnecessary and if you do it, both sides of the case need to align…meaning port both equally. Good luck with that. On a clearanced case there’s not much meat left on the saddle to do so.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: To Notch the lifters / Hoover mod. or not? Reply with quote

I do see the saddle is reduced on the clearanced case.
Maybe I’ll just radius the top ends of the supply holes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: